• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Does This count as a skin

Does it count as a skin

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
Yeah, but custom brushes and textures give infinitely better results than filters. I tend to make my own textures for my works, which gives it a slightly personal touch, which filters definitely don´t, since anyone can use them with a few tutorials. That´s very important in the graphic design business, you should always differenciate yourself from the bunch, your works should have personality by their own.

And filters look terrible in this low poly models anyway, the only one useful is the sharpen.

Aye, it's all well and good to go out and take pictures for textures to use on projects if you have the time and aren't working to a deadline but most GD's are. Textures are only one part of using filters really, the worst one is when you actually do use custom brushes etc. and it ends up looking like it's used in-house filters.
All I'm saying is there are quite a few filters which just make things easier and quicker while still giving perfectly acceptable results on a warcraft 3 skin. Hence why I see no sense in insta no's to skins that still look good and are still useful to the community simply because they have used a small amount of filters to achieve the same result as sitting for ages with the brush tool.

Level 4
Yeah, and there isn´t anything wrong in using textures and filters and all that. The porblem is that no one knows how to use them properly, and the ones that do, prefer or get better results by painting.

In hi-poly texturing filters and texturing are heavily used because they require a lot more work, but in this wc3 models, they do more bad than good.

And yeah, GD have deadlines all the time, but it doesn´t hurt taking those textures in the freetime. I am in the Graphic Design business by the way, and honestly use very few filters, and most of my friends that study GD don´t use many filters either.

EDIT: Something I wanted to add. we don´t any deadline when we are making a texture for warcraft, it´s just a hobby, so you (as in, the texturer) should take all the time you want and have all the fun you can. Filters are lame, boring and lazy for this, they don´t look good and they don´t help you improve, you should always choose the best option in this cases, and taking the brush tool and doing everything yourself is always the most fun and useful choice. Filters take away all the fun in this.

Level 6
Yeah, and there isn´t anything wrong in using textures and filters and all that. The porblem is that no one knows how to use them properly, and the ones that do, prefer or get better results by painting.

In hi-poly texturing filters and texturing are heavily used because they require a lot more work, but in this wc3 models, they do more bad than good.

And yeah, GD have deadlines all the time, but it doesn´t hurt taking those textures in the freetime. I am in the Graphic Design business by the way, and honestly use very few filters, and most of my friends that study GD don´t use many filters either.

EDIT: Something I wanted to add. we don´t any deadline when we are making a texture for warcraft, it´s just a hobby, so you (as in, the texturer) should take all the time you want and have all the fun you can. Filters are lame, boring and lazy for this, they don´t look good and they don´t help you improve, you should always choose the best option in this cases, and taking the brush tool and doing everything yourself is always the most fun and useful choice. Filters take away all the fun in this.

That's because some people enjoy the A to B more than using the resource itself when it's finished. Personally for my own projects I'd much rather bang a good looking texture out using filters in 1 or 2 nights than spend a week hand painting the lot just to get the same result. Warcrafts level of depth and detail makes being a fine artist with your textures redundant because the graphics simply aren't that good, even on their absolute highest settings.

I have nothing against anyone who wants to spend a week doing a texture so when it's unwrapped it looks like a fantastic peice of art but I do have something against all the negativity around filters and not freehanding EVERYTHING when the result is still of a good quality and usability. People who produce crap skins using filters OR freehand are a different thing altogether, rightfully so those resources should be rejected. It's the resources that are actually good and usable but not "freehanded enough" that get rejected that I'm bothered about. Which is what I was initially making a point about.

Level 4
Freehanded textures don´t take a week, they don´t even take more than a day :\

And the negativity towards filters are from long, because people realized they simply don´t look good.
If you can make a good texture with filters, then good for you, you´re surely gonna get praised and everything. That´s surely not gonna happen soon tho...

Defnitely neither your opinion or mine about filters are going to change, so there is no point in keep going with this discussion.

Level 6
Freehanded textures don´t take a week, they don´t even take more than a day :\

And the negativity towards filters are from long, because people realized they simply don´t look good.
If you can make a good texture with filters, then good for you, you´re surely gonna get praised and everything. That´s surely not gonna happen soon tho...

Defnitely neither your opinion or mine about filters are going to change, so there is no point in keep going with this discussion.

No you've just completely missed my point mate. Your disagreeing with something I'm not even arguing about. Not that it's ever been much of an argument...
Filters make some jobs quicker and don't create any lesser results on a WC3 skin than doing the same thing with brushes, fact. That's all I was saying.
I didn't understand that middle bit either " you´re surely gonna get praised and everything. That´s surely not gonna happen soon tho...".

Level 4
I understand what you said, I just disagree with your view of the filters.
What I meant in that frase is that I never seen any textures made with filters that looked good yet, and this game has been around for a few years now. When I see one, I´ll be the first one to say that it looks good and everything, but I´m almost certain I´ll never see such skin in wc3.
EDIT: And by good I don´t mean a hi quality 1024x1024 res that looks good in the flat thing. I mean it really has to look good in the model and the game itself.

You used an application called "Lego Photo" on the iphone, Im not sure that is allowed and called freehand. Sorry

Yes we all know it was made using a filter, and I doubt that an app on the Iphone is your best choice for skinning any ways - doesn't matter which filter he originally used. At least he's progressing now

Status
Not open for further replies.