• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Skinning In Gmax, Extracting Poly's to Skin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 1
Ok, I have made a custom model. Completly Custom. Now I want to skin this model. I have been searching for about 2 days and all I can find is where people are using skins from other models etc and editing them.

What I would like to know is,
1. When Skinning a custom model, I am basically making a skin from scratch, is there some way I can export the surfaces I need to skin into a blank skin template to then edit in Photoshop/fireworks?

2. Should I be skinning in Gmax and then exporting the skin itself?

Basically, I need to know what procedure to follow here, and if you know, how to do either. Once I have a TGA from my custom model I can skin just fine. However its getting that custom TGA to exist that I am clueless on.

If there is already a tutorial or thread regarding this, please by all means disregard and foward me there.

Again this is for a Custom Model, not pre-existing. Therefore no current skin will apply correctly and one must be made from scratch.

Thanks for any assistance in advance.

Level 1
Sorry about that. Seemed like a skinning question since that is what I am making.. sorry for the noobish question.

So the proper phrase is to "Unwrap" the model. Well now I feel like a tard cause I think i saw that before.. Again sorry for being a pain...

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.