• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Does mass heros = mass lag?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
If you have 200 heros without spells/abilities to upgrade, and no icon in top left, will it make a mass lag?

Would there be and big differences lag wise to have 200 heros instead of 200 units. The heros are basicly like normal troops but they will beable to level up from battle.

Level 7
As I believe it lag is generated by a couple of things, first is a models polycount.

Higher poly models generate higher lag. (though realisticly this shouldn't cause huge problems, unless of course you have say a unit with a polycount of 25, and you replace it with one with 100, but you're still creating 200 units of each) I don't know the exact numbers when it comes to polys that generate harsh lag because I'm not a modeler, but overall I don't think its a huge issue you really need to worry about.

Another thing that generates lag is triggers. The more triggers running, being run, or being proced (however you want to say it) the more lag. Especially if the triggers calls other triggers and are rather heavy and long. Heroes without spells wont really damage this all that much, but if you think about it when a hero levels, hardcode is running to change its level, so heroes generate a very small amount of extra usage. However, this issue probably wont effect lag at all, even with 200 units.

As far as handling 200 handles go, i've asked the question myself but with a higher number, and was given the answer that people have been able to handle very large numbers of "static" units without any harsh or even moderate lag at all. Those numbers being in the 4 to 5 hundreds.

Another possibility (though I think this might be more of a self-generated myth) is that heroes generate more lag to the user because the minimap puts more strain on the users processors with all the blinky glows. This is easily changeable though, if it even affects (you'll have to ask someone else if you really think it matters).

In conclusion, I would say that Yes, using heroes instead of units does generate "more" lag, but No, that lag is not nearly excessive enough to cause any problems.

Level 5
ok thank you. +rep

I was thinking of adding a mercenary race which every troop is a hero and can level up from combat. Wanted to make sure that huge battles would not make a crazy lag.

Any one disagree with him?

Level 8
This is something easily tested so I took the pleasure to do so ^^. Here are the results using fram per sec as measurement (FPS):

Scenario No.1 (Paladins):
  1. 0 units (idle) - 64 FPS
  2. Unit creation trigger - 52 FPS
  3. 100 Paladins on each side, viewing 1 side - 30 FPS
  4. Issuing mass attack command while viewing 1 side - 24 FPS
  5. Viewing whole battle with default view (most units viewed) - 18 FPS
  6. During levelup (maybe 20 leveled up at once each time) - 13 FPS

Scenario No.2 (Footmen):
  1. 64
  2. 53
  3. 38
  4. 32
  5. 19
  6. N/A

Conclusion:
Most of the time the FPS were equal except when viewing the team. Hero levelup animation made little difference to FPS and it recovered quickly. Strangely when viewing the whole battle in both scenarios the FPS were more or less equal.

Fun ^^
I include map if you want to see.

Attachments

• test lagg.w3x
    31.8 KB · Views: 67
Status
Not open for further replies.