• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

does anyone have a tutorial on how to make good maps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
I'm making an campaign and I need to make good maps, does anyone have a tutorial that tells you how to make good maps or comparing good maps to bad maps.
P.S I just started working on world edit 2 days ago, so I have no experience what so ever.

Level 26
You should probably visit the Tutorials section and from there head to general mapping subforum. There are also plenty of other usefull tutorials, just search the forum.

It is also worth noting that you should play some popular maps (with high ratings) available here on hive to learn how good map looks like - investigating map of others is one of the best way to create some cool stuff yourself.

Good maps have fun gameplay, good performance. There are a huge list of factors, but these are what makes a good map in my opinion.

- Originality
(how unique is your map's execution?)
- Aestethics
(does that cliff look nice? Is the camera going weird places? Is there an overload of effects? Huge shadows? Cinematics too long? Is the map too crowded?)
- Visuals
(Do the ability icons match? Are the models used properly(hero glow on units?)? Are skill effects sufficient? )
- Balance
(are the spells broken? do they have advantage against everything?)
- Design
(Do the spells fit, or better yet, work with each other? Synergy? Fun factor?)
- Presentation
(the in game texts, F9 logs and Hive description are large factors)

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

Everything cake said minus the originality.

Since you're just a starter, I think you should try to focus on terrain and object editing. Try creating for example a custom hero with 4 abilities you made. If that was easy for you, try to import custom model for your hero. After you succeed on that, try to import an icon for him too.

So yeah, focus on terrain, object editor and import manager first as they're the most easiest to catch onto.

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

Your originality was a good point, but he's just a beginner his main priority is to get a hang of the editor

Level 15
a tutorial that tells you how to make good maps

Alas if success were as easy as following a tutorial.

I just started working on world edit 2 days ago, so I have no experience what so ever.

Good luck on your project. Feel free to ask any questions if you need help or get stuck!

My first time using the editor was about 6 months ago (I started late December 2013). Just keep at it and don't give up!

Status
Not open for further replies.