• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Do I need tools to get a good map?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
aloha, I pretty new on this website... not been so very active and so on.. anyway Im making a rpg map and I have heard of alot of programs that could help you out etc etc..

anyway if Im going to get some tools? what tools should I take then? and what do they do?

please respond with tips :)

Level 26
Maybe, first, you should have a problem before you try to solve it.

"Im making a rpg map" is not very precise. Still, you should realize that there are more things you can implement in your map than the World Editor alone is actually able to. It is not a drawing tool which you could use to create new texture resources for example, however, it has an import manager that allows you to import some of the things that others made.

The original editor does not display every feature of itself to you, either. The basic trigger script library and an mpq reader to browse all resources could be useful. Most of times, so is a calculator or pen and paper for conception purposes.

If you insist to take a peek into the tool catalog to see your possibilities beforehand, there are some specifically for Warcraft 3 engineered offerings on this site.

Level 11
Depends of your style. I don't need any and still I can do pretty good maps.

Nuff' said, so to speak.

Personally I do not usually use tools either. Hexdecimal colours are helpful to know about, although one wouldn't need a tool for that once you learnt the basics. An exception would be softwares for external files, such as for instance a blp>tga converter. But I consider these programs to have as much to do with actual Warcraft modding as Photoshop does.

_PV

_PV

Level 7
is there some way i can just download loading screens, already in a TGA format and just import it and it would work? i don't have a photo editing program. while i stand at the ground of importing, i'm having real difficulty importing spell models and effects, e.g. i downloaded this wicked sick effect for my ability (looks like faceless void's ultimate on DotA), i import the damn thing and it doesn't work. can somebody please help?

I thought loading screens had to be in .blp?

nope... loading screens are in .mdx format... their are also models and the texture (which gives it the image thing) can be in any format supported by wc3... blp, tga etc... and to create one, follow the suggestion above by chilla killa

Status
Not open for further replies.