• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Disaster in europe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 9
This is a map I am currently doing now and I sure need some advice on the terrains i am doing now.

Lets start off with the country selection area.

NOTICE: this is my second shot at terraining. Please help me by critisizing all of them so I can know what to improve on.

93437d1291366531-disaster-frontier-terrains3.png

One area of the island (There are 5 main islands altogether)
93435d1291366531-disaster-frontier-terrains1.png

93436d1291366531-disaster-frontier-terrains2.png

Changed the terrains.

Attachments

• terrain.png
    terrain.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 99
  • terrain2.png
    terrain2.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 104
  • terrain3.png
    terrain3.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 108
Last edited:
Level 15
Variate the texture on top of the island more instead of just using grassy dirt (I think thats what it is) all the way through.

Use less trees but make them bigger

Use less rocks but make them bigger

Make sure that you dig rocks that are hanging off the side into the ground by lowering them (Control + Page Down)

Try adding some more mushrooms and detail doodads

Try importing some of the more detailed palm trees from the UTM and using them instead.

Try importing some of the hanging vines/ivy from the UTM and hanging them from the trees (ya it doesn't make much sense realistically but I think it would look good)'

GL with you'r map man ^-^

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
If you won't use imported models, I suggest you add some really creative means to enhance the terrain.
The second picture is much better than the others. I'd say you should attempt a cleaner color variety however.
The darker pines in the second picture could have a lighter tint, however not as light as the other trees.
Furthermore, the shrubbery are way too spammed. Place them with more thought to it.
I really don't like the choice of fog. To each his own taste I suppose.
Lastly, please take the screens from an angle you will view when you launch the map. For example, the sky which otherwise wouldn't be visible disparages the terrain completely.
One should never post a screen which has the end of the map clearly visible.

Level 9
Thanks for your comments.

The shrub spam is to cover up the empty holes that is un-enterable. This is a builder-style game fyi.

I was experimenting with fogs =)
IDK why but the trees changed color... =(
Well, I only did a small part of the terrains for now so angling it prevents me from showing un-finished terrains =)

Status
Not open for further replies.