• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Difficulties with Missiles...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
Hi again!

Still getting the hang of this World Editor thing, and I've come across a new problem. It has kept me up way past my bedtime, and school tomorrow is going to be very unpleasant...

How do you get a missile to originate from where you want it to? I'm playing with custom units, and I'm trying to make a missile appear to come from a rifleman's gun, but it seems to originate from over his head and behind him! I wanted to do the same with other units.

I know it probably has something to do with the X, Y, and Z projectile launch fields, but I have absolutely NO clue what those mean or how they work, and after twenty minutes of playing with the values and not seeing any real change, I'm pretty frustrated.

If anyone can help me with how to get things where I want them, it would be very much appreciated. I'm off to bed for tonight :sad:

Level 8
Hi again!

Still getting the hang of this World Editor thing, and I've come across a new problem. It has kept me up way past my bedtime, and school tomorrow is going to be very unpleasant...

How do you get a missile to originate from where you want it to? I'm playing with custom units, and I'm trying to make a missile appear to come from a rifleman's gun, but it seems to originate from over his head and behind him! I wanted to do the same with other units.

I know it probably has something to do with the X, Y, and Z projectile launch fields, but I have absolutely NO clue what those mean or how they work, and after twenty minutes of playing with the values and not seeing any real change, I'm pretty frustrated.

If anyone can help me with how to get things where I want them, it would be very much appreciated. I'm off to bed for tonight :sad:

Oh my, what a vivid description of the problem :xxd:. Well dear Princess Kiali, you can try to make your own missile system, using GUI or JASS. If you want to do so, check hive's tutorials about GUI and JASS: http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/tutorials.php.
Or you might want to have a more simple solution: for this check the spell section of the Hive, and find a useful, and good coded missile system.
Here's one example: http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/...543/?prev=search=Missile%20system&d=list&r=20.
If you are going to use systems made by other users, then please remember to give them credit for their hard work.

And remember, school is never unpleasant, you'll know it when you finish it :thumbs_up:. Have a nice and sunny day :).

Level 2
Thanks for all of the suggestions. I ended up playing around with the Projectile Launch numbers in X, Y, and Z (and testing the map about 200 times in the process :eekani:) and finally got it so that the attack looks like it's coming from where it's supposed to. In the process, I discovered a few interesting things..

Like if you change the Projectile Launch Z field to the maximum number, the attack comes out of the sky! :grin: And if you change Projectile Launch Y to the max, the attack comes from the opposite side of the target from the attacker. Very wierd. But playing with the numbers a lot was enough.

So for everyone's reference, Z fields of 50-90 are probably good height for most normal sized units. Y fields should definitely be low, since high numbers mean the attack comes from the total opposite side of the target, and the X field should probably be the lowest number, since 0 means the attack comes from the center of the unit, and it only seems to take 10-18 one way or the other to make it come from one arm or the other. Of course, that's all for smaller units, like humans and trolls. Bigger units would need larger numbers :grin:

Level 14
To clarify, the X Y and Z values are the values for Left to Right (X), Front to Back (Y) and Up and Down (Z).

They're points on an invisible 3 dimensional grid, where 0,0,0 is the center of the unit launching the projectile/attack.

So for example, putting the x to 100, the Y to 0, and the z to 0, will mean the projectile launches from 100 distance from the right of the unit. A negative value of X would make it appear on the left.

Another example may be that you want the projectile to fire from a very tall rifle man. Say a rifleman that is 3 times his normal size. For this, you'd need his X value to be about 100 or so, because he is left handed. Because his gun is also very long, you'd need a quite large Y value of perhaps 180. Also, his gun is not touching the floor, so you'd need a Z value of around 100 or so.

So to recap:
X Value: Left to Right. Negative is left, positive is right, 0 is center.
Y Value: Forward and Back. Negative is back, poisitive is forward. 0 is center.
Z Value: Up and Down. Negative is down, Positive is up. 0 is the ground.

Hope that helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.