• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Devided Pathways

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a bit confused on how to improve on junk, hence the theme.

Attachments

• Devided Pathways.png
    Devided Pathways.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 168
Somehow refreshing and mind bobbling at the same time. Might be the thematic or the execution of the terrain.

Well, quite a curious approach to a 'divided mind path' (see what I did there?) Pretty cool if you ask me with all the inconsistent model flow in it.
My first word when I saw this was 'wow, bright fest incoming'
Now, I like the whole existentialist thematic of it and the two paths that go their merry way with different colors. Probably symbolizing the dual nature of man.

There are some issues that suggest a lack of ideas for the rock placement around, randomly placed trees and improper sky works all around.

I would suggest to look into those rock doodads position for a more smooth look and transition between the two and an overall pleasant differentiation for 'em.
Those could be intertwined with foliage all around and away to make it look legit'

Canopy could use some tinting variations to give it some twilight/morning feel to it and in term make it less rough, have it 'reach into the sky' with an embrace of slightly different color spectrum. If we're here, the left center tree model needs to go since it is atrocious to look at. Takes away from the whole scene honestly.

You will need a better tile management all over, two paths and a grass tile won't do justice to your fields.
Last but not least, THE SKY. It is way too bright and the color indicates something else instead of a midnight time.

Moon/star thing seems way fuzzy to seem like a genuine one. Better glow model work is required there tinted slightly with variations and differently sized ones at increased distances. fladdermasken's tut should do some good to you.
Almost forgot to mention; it could be shifted more to the center to have some balance and focus.

Uberclouds should be changed to a different model, sized, positioned, tinted accordingly to your needs. I wonder if an angled one would help the composition better...
Also, might have to look into some cloud models, flipped and tinted in various way, generally giving them a windy and misty look.
Would spike up the atmosphere a bit if done correctly. Glows might also help for depth and smoothness.

All in all, a good try, yes a good one but would get better if given some invested time.
I am glad that you've decided to show a terrain sometimes~

Last edited:
Yeh, thanks for the advice this helps a lot.

I think a morning theme would be best, I usually go in the style of making things to dark so I might of went a bit to bright with this.
I don't think I've done much experimenting with skies before so it was mostly just guess work. That tutorial should do me wonders when I get around to reading it through.

I'll see what I can do about the doodad placement too.

Level 36
The biggest problem with this terrain, for me, is the depth. There isn't any.

There's just this one hill which really makes the depth perception of the terrain feel... Strange.
I would recommend you zoomed out the camera and added another hill or so-such in front of the camera,
and then some mountains behind the current hill, using the fog tool to make them seem really far away.

Otherwise... Heinvers got pretty much everything covered.

Level 28
Hmmm... did someone else said you've got to add some background? Or something more layered going on, in order to create a sense of depth? :p

Well I liked the idea of your terrain, you just need to get some stronger execution - things like the things the guys above just suggested. Keep going!

Status
Not open for further replies.