• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Destructible Wall Burning

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
I'm trying to figure out how to make it so that an AI 'invader' can set buildings on fire and have that fire spread to the rest of the building and burn it to the ground. I think it should work with an immolation spell, buildings changing owner, and the immolation spell spreading when hit, but I can't figure it out.

Some help would be very much appreciated!

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
What does this have to do with "Destructible Wall"s ?

What I would do is every second pick buildings around "on fire" buildings and add some form of marker (hashtable stored integer with handle ID as one of the indices) to it and damage it (heat damage). Once the marker exceeds a certain amount it is set on fire.

To prevent performance issues with hundreds/thousands of buildings I would stagger the checks anywhere between 10 and 20 times per second.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
A wall that can be destroyed by players; that kind of destructible wall, IE a building wall, that can be set on fire and be burnt down. That's what I'm looking for and I thought I explained that pretty clear but I must've been wrong. Sorry!
Oh so not a wall made out of "destructible" type widgets...

Anyway if you use any periodic trigger solution you might want to consider staggering it to avoid poor performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.