• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Desert Oil Refineries v 1.05

This bundle is marked as useful / simple. Simplicity is bliss, low effort and/or may contain minor bugs.
Desert Oil Refineries

This is a 96x96 melee map designed for 1vs1 players. It is designed with the barrens tile set. Here we have a desert region. There are oil refineries

Neutrals and creeps

-6 gold mines (2 Bases: 12500 gold; 2 16000 gold defended with red creep, 2 defended with orange creep 12500 gold)
-2 goblin markets defended with orange creeps
-2 unguarded taverns.
-2 mercenary camp defended with orange creeps
-2 goblin labs defended with orange creeps
-2 unguarded way-gates
-1 marketplace defended with a red creep

Creeps amount

- 6 green creeps (3 per player)
- 10 orange creeps (2 in goblin markets, 2 in mercenary camps, 2 in goldmines, 2 in goblin labs, 2 defending nothing)
- 3 red creep (1 in the marketplace, 2 in goldmines of 16000 gold)

Strategy

- The corner expanding goldmines are less defended than the near ones. The near goldmines are defended with a red creep but also those mines have more gold. There are 2 ways of attack. The marketplace can only be access by goblin zeppelins, and there the red creep has the best loot of the game.

No imported matierial has been used, only WC3 preset elements red

Changelog

Version 1.00 upload
Version 1.01
-Worked the ramps
Version 1.02
-Red creep, defending the marketplace has aereal units
-Changed orange goldmine creeps, increased level from 12 to 14
Version 1.03
-Goblin markets creeps did not have anti air capacity, changed that.
-Re-ajusted some of the orange creep to increase their anti air combat
Version 1.04
-Added 2 orange creeps level 13
-Added waygates to conect northern and southern areas
- Changed the loot a bit in mercenary camps and goblin labs camps .
Version 1.05
-No gaps between trees.

Credits

Map made by Ragnaros17
Contents

Desert Oil Refineries (Map)

Reviews
deepstrasz
Looks like the pathing is better northwest of the Marketplace dues to it and the creeps being closer to the southeastern edge. Also because of possible more doodads on the latter side. So, you can possibly land safer on the northwestern part of the...
Level 10
I'll give you few feedback regarding aesthetics.

1. The riverside is too barren. Maybe you'll need to place some doodads. Even if you want your amazing doodads to show clearly, you could still use small doodads to decorate.

2. You will need to be a little more brave in using terraining textures. Using 1x1 brush is good, but you're being TOO SHY.

3. You got broken ramps. They're not actually broken, but looks quite weird and unnatural. You can use height to make them look natural.

4. Terrain is mostly flat.

Good thing creeps no longer get in the way of scouting :)

Level 29
I'll give you few feedback regarding aesthetics.

1. The riverside is too barren. Maybe you'll need to place some doodads. Even if you want your amazing doodads to show clearly, you could still use small doodads to decorate.

2. You will need to be a little more brave in using terraining textures. Using 1x1 brush is good, but you're being TOO SHY.

3. You got broken ramps. They're not actually broken, but looks quite weird and unnatural. You can use height to make them look natural.

4. Terrain is mostly flat.

Good thing creeps no longer get in the way of scouting :)

1) Noted.
2) Mostly I don´t want to loose the desert consept, but I can study that matter. Yep I am not that brave with barrens tiles without the grass.
3) At the begining they looked too bad with the unbuildable tile,too sharp, that why I smooth them. I could work that too so they look more natural or undone what I did.
4) Yeah , I could work more that thing.

thanks!

edit: v 1.01

worked the ramps since its seems the major bug to me, the other stuff I will continue later.

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 29
As a terrainer I should say that it is quite creative thing with oil pomps.
For the future - try to avoid such stretching of doodads - it makes blizz textures looks even more weird.

thanks, a compliment coming for you, author of Zangarmarash!!, means a lot!!, I always try to do maps with some new tricks.

"try to avoid such stretching of doodads"

yeah got it, is better small and many than few and huge.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
Looks like the pathing is better northwest of the Marketplace dues to it and the creeps being closer to the southeastern edge. Also because of possible more doodads on the latter side. So, you can possibly land safer on the northwestern part of the highland.
Other than that, it's pretty straightforward with just two ground access points and roads to your enemy.
The refinery doodad combination is inventive.

Approved.

========================================================

Always check/recheck the Map Submission Rules! (Map Submission Rules)

If you want more reviews, come here:
The Grand Review Exchange!

mafe

Map Reviewer
Level 24
This map reminds me of the Venture&Co areas in vanilla WoW. Well done.

Regarding gameplay:
I see however a major problem with the way the main bases are positioned. First of all, the distance from the main to the trees will be relatively large very soon. And then there could be the following issue:
The main bases split the map into a Northeast and a southwest half. To get from one half to the other, one has to pass a basis area. This is big problem for harassing in earlygame. Imagine you are a nightelf and you want to harass an undead to keep him from leveling. What is the undead going to do? Well he just walks past his main base to continue creeping on the other half of the map. Would you want to walk past the undead base? Surely not, so you would have to walk back to your main base and to the other side, losing a large amount of time. So the undead has a safe way to dodge early-game harass, unlike on other maps.

Also creeps should not have chances to drop items of different levels, as they do at the merc camps now, and creeps at the shops should probably be set to camp stance.

Level 29
This map reminds me of the Venture&Co areas in vanilla WoW. Well done.

Regarding gameplay:
I see however a major problem with the way the main bases are positioned. First of all, the distance from the main to the trees will be relatively large very soon .

I don´t agree much, the lumber mill , cementery, sawmiill, are build at very begining, if you well place it, you will be fine, the AI was also fine, and if you buy 1 saw goblin machine later (you won´t mind wood in this game) I played this map a couple of times, never care about the wood. (I have a maps where I don´t put goblin labs so havesting wood requeries like 7 peons)

here you can have only the goblin machin harvesting wood and ten peons harvesting gold.

Also creeps should not have chances to drop items of different levels, as they do at the merc camps now, and creeps at the shops should probably be set to camp stance.

okay got it, thanks, I will fix that

"This is big problem for harassing in earlygame"

"Would you want to walk past the undead base? Surely not"

Actually this start position disposition and general layout, I emulated it from the contest map River Valley, acording to a friend advisor, he told me that map was very balanced. Is not that I invented this kind of layout.

thanks for the feedback, I will consider it when I design things,
I agree that this layout has its weaks points.

I think a couple of waygates will be needed to have a better contection between areas and fix the problem you spoted

edit:
version 1.04

added way gates, and changed a bit the loot in mercenary camps and goblin labs, + 2 orange creeps level 13