• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Demolition Squad / Dark Iron Sappers

Showcase for every model in the Dwarven Clans Pack:
Dwarven Clans Trailer

Rest of the models will be available on:
CSW - Resource Section

Scaling Value: 0.9
Name: Demolition Squad / Condemned Sappers (Dark Iron)
Role: Expendable Sapper (Ironforge are not suicidal actually, while Dark Iron are)
fade-seperator-png.362941

Credits:
Tamplier777 - initial model assembly, animation
Moonman - animation/geoset edits
Trolldaeron - custom unit icon
Contents

Dark Iron Sappers (Model)

Dark Iron Sappers (Icon) (Icon)

Dark Iron Sappers (Portrait) (Model)

Demolition Squad (Model)

Demolition Squad (Icon) (Icon)

Demolition Squad (Portrait) (Model)

Reviews
Mr Ogre man
I really like this and the dark iron mortar team variations. Great job CSW.
Interesting implementation for "Death Spell". I just wonder how it looks in-game. Don't they run straight into enemy buildings and units? :)

A different (but difficult) solution might be to have them dig a tunnel and descend into it after setting their charges.
In WarCraft II, they do. They are essentially a two-dwarf goblin sapper team: they run up and explode (of course, if the player trained them). Computer players are not scripted to train such suicide squads.

Level 48
In WarCraft II, they do. They are essentially a two-dwarf goblin sapper team: they run up and explode (of course, if the player trained them). Computer players are not scripted to train such suicide squads.

I know what they do in Warcraft 2. This particular model is not suicidal, as mentioned in the description:
Role: Expendable Sapper (not suicidal actually, check animation!)
You can check the animation yourself in View in 3D. :)

The "Death Spell" is a little wonky of course, but we just felt that it doesn't fit the nature of Ironforge dwarves, unlike Dark Irons who had that element to them since vanilla WoW. But even then I decided to give Dark Iron sappers a reason why they don't care about their lives, they condemned criminals with no way out... going to post that model soon.

Level 48
The "Death Spell" is a little wonky of course, but we just felt that it doesn't fit the nature of Ironforge dwarves, unlike Dark Irons who had that element to them since vanilla WoW. But even then I decided to give Dark Iron sappers a reason why they don't care about their lives, they condemned criminals with no way out... going to post that model soon.
You could make them play differently, mechanically. :)
Make the animation a Morph - where they lay the explosives on the ground.
This will leave you with a useless unit. Then you could implement a system where demo squads can re-arm at a Workshop/Gnomish Laboratory. Maybe let the little guy use his axe as a weak melee attack after that. :)

I know what they do in Warcraft 2. This particular model is not suicidal, as mentioned in the description:

To be fair, I think that animating them so they set the fuse once and run like crazy means you're still making them "Ka-BOOM," but if you believe this animation is still worthwhile, then here's my thought:
The dwarves should light fuse and run away in the opposite direction as a moving unit, duck for cover, and let the TNT go BOOM. They may be restricted to having just axes, but at least you still have them.

To be fair, I think that animating them so they set the fuse once and run like crazy means you're still making them "Ka-BOOM," but if you believe this animation is still worthwhile, then here's my thought:
The dwarves should light fuse and run away in the opposite direction as a moving unit, duck for cover, and let the TNT go BOOM. They may be restricted to having just axes, but at least you still have them.
That might be a good idea, but the thing is. The gameplay is supposed to be exactly the same as with original unit, same with timing of the explosion. I might be able to pull off opposite direction, but I'll have to make them turn realistically before.

Oh, are you trying to keep the gameplay as close to WC2 as possible? I thought you were adding different units and takes on the units.
To a degree only, but keeping a fast reacting unit like the demo squad was the idea. I mean they are squishy but react fast once they reach the point, if you made them use some 2-3 second ability towers could reach them.
This anim is really just a very small detail, nothing more.

Level 48
To a degree only, but keeping a fast reacting unit like the demo squad was the idea. I mean they are squishy but react fast once they reach the point, if you made them use some 2-3 second ability towers could reach them.
This anim is really just a very small detail, nothing more.
& what about my idea from the post above? Wouldn't it work? Doesn't have to be 2-3 second ability. Just lie down the explosives and then the player orders them to run (blast can catch friendly units also for example).