• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Campaign] Delara's Expedition to Kalimdor

What do you think I should improve?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
Delara's Expedition to Kalimdor
(Not final name)
By Oraien

Overview
Many years have passed since the Second War and the lands are expecting a third one. A Dalaran student Delara decided to travel west to a mysterious land of Kalimdor to study the nature in hope to improve arcane magic with natural powers. Something's amiss however, the nature is not as untouched as thought. Delara's base is under constant assault of gargoyles of unknown origin.
Delara sends her general commander Manarok to investigate and destroy their hive. After reaching the cave complex his group is met with elven strikeforce with the same task. They unite in common goal and purge the hive. After cleansing the last one, they encounter a man-made structure. Being cut off from the rest, Manarok along with elven leader Alynor leave the caves and reach surface, where they meet a spellcaster using death magic. Alynor restores a forgotten grove and they prepare for combat. For three days they manage to fend off the undead forces empowered by treacherous humans. On the break of the fourth day were they overwhelmed and captured into the necromancer's lair. Escaping the labyrinth they finally reach the exit, but they need to make the ultimate sacrifice.

Characters
full
Manarok

General Commander Manarok Lumenos is in lead of the armed forces brought to Kalimdor by lady Delara. He is responsible for the base's defense and is now newly tasked with a new duty.
full
Delara

Lady Delara Araniel is a student of magic in Dalaran. Her thirst for knowledge and fame led her to travel the sea to Kalimdor to find a way to merge natural and arcane magic. Her studies go slowly and mostly interrupted.
full
Alynor

Elven Enchantress Alynor is not just a common elf. She speaks with the nature and can ask it to do her bidding. She is never out of surprises for her foes and allies alike.
full
Ishnu'talah

Alynor's consort Ishnu'talah (lucky survivor in elvish-ish) and a brave warrior that won't allow anything to hurt his beloved enchantress.

full
Halakh

One of Manarok's captains. This one gets lost though but when we see him again, his presence is completly different from the last time.
full
Necromancer

A mysterious mage using forbidden death magic corrupting the forest and animating the dead. Will you be strong enough to defeat him?

Features

• Possible untold story of Azeroth
  • Custom abilities
  • Tweaked Elven race
  • Two story lines (depending on your decision in chapter two)
  • I don't even know what all is interesting so... I dunno T_T

Screenshots
full
General commander Manarok speaking with lady Delara
full
General commander Manarok recruiting troops
full
Manarok's group moving through the forest
full
Manarok's group arriving to the caves
full
Manarok's group encountering gargoyles
full
Elven party led by Alynor allies the humans, for now...
full
Alynor and Manarok leaving the caves
full
Alynor and Manarok encountering a strange structure
full
Elven grove restored by Alynor
full
Manarok defending the grove with elves

Credits
If you didn't find your name in credits yet your material has been used, please let me know and I'll add you to the list immediatly.

Progress
So far I have finished these five missions I present you with, though they all are improveable (and you WILL find a way how I should improve them). I'm now working on the sixth mission and I plan about three missions for each decisions, up to 1 prologue and 8 chapters each.

Changelog

• - Uploaded
  • - Added proper prologue
    - Previous prologues changed into chapters
    - Heroes are now since the first chapter
    - Heroes have now five levels of abilities, fifth being Mastered which improves the spell significantly, both Manarok's and Alynor's spells have been rescaled (effects stay the same)

- Manarok:
    Added ultimate ability - Chosen of the Light, sadly, it's still not obtainable
    - Footman:
    Defend ability replaced with Shield which grants them 50% chance to negate 15 damage
    - Archer: (both elven and human)
    Precise arrow ability has now longer cooldown (3s --> 10s)
    Added Agility which grants them 15% dodge chance
    - Warrior:
    Mind blockade ability replaced with Healing Roots which grants targeted ally +5 armor and +3 hp/sec but lowers damage by 75% for 20 seconds

- Prologue:
    Added
    - Chapter One, Into the Caves:
    Tweaked enviroment
    Added circles of power at key locations
    Added tooltips when first selecting units
    Cleared inconsistencies
    - Chapter Two, The Hive:
    Added tooltips when first selecting elven units
    Vision in gargoyle nest improved
    Hint stating the point of the nest added
    - Chapter Three, A New Grove:
    Corrected spelling mistake (Groth --> Grove)
    Waves period increased (waves will come less often)
    Death Ray deals less damage
    - Chapter Four, Beneath the Corrupted Ground:
    Frost Wraith no longer immune to magic
    Eggs give much less XP

All maps have been provided with an allyourbasearebelongtous cheat code that is much easier to write:
    Skip level

Maybe something else that I didn't write down, hopefully nothing
  • - Heroes now more correctly store ability levels

- Chapter Two, The Hive:
    Corrected tooltip when first selecting elven archers
    Warriors now do have Healing roots
    - Chapter Three, A New Grove:
    Warriors now have tooltips and are correctly trainable
    Archers now have correctly Agility
    Upon hero revival a sound is played (for you to notice)

Maybe something else that I didn't write down, hopefully nothing

PS: Don't worry about the names of the maps, the campaign was originally different and I didn't change the name format.

Attachments

• Delara's Expedition to Kalimdor 1.0.w3n
    5.1 MB · Views: 109
  • Delara's Expedition to Kalimdor 2.0.w3n
    5.2 MB · Views: 94
  • Delara's Expedition to Kalimdor 2.1.w3n
    5.2 MB · Views: 142
Last edited:
Level 7
Sounds Interesting!
The lake and cave area screenshot looked really nice. Cool concept!

The icon for the warden unit in the description is smaller than all others. You should try to fix that. :)
HIVE HATER DETECTED.
thanks ^^
yeah... abotu the icon... I found the others on the internet with a big resolution but the warden one was the only one that I just couldn't find, so I had to screenshot it in the editor and cut it :\

Hey, I tried out your map. It has a solid concept with characters that feel authentic.

For your first map, (the Prologue);

Prologue Loading Screen:
It does not tell the player what is being introduced or what the story is about.
Adding a description on loading the map would be a viable suggestion as it seems quite lacking in definition.

On Map Start:
There is a trigger that runs on initialization, which plays a certain music. It occurs even as you are getting ready to press any button. That would need some fixing.
The aforementioned music needs to be preloaded as there is a slight latency when playing the cinematic.

Dialogue:
Some of the dialogue of the characters seem quite genuine. Within map development, there will be errors, be it grammatical mistakes, unexpected dialogue, etc.
That being said, you might need to transform the dialogue from 21st Century casual to 16th Century casual.

Example:
Before:

Manarok:
That's me

After:

Manarok:
It is me / It is I.

Before:

Antonidas:
... Currently ...

After:

Antonidas:
... As of now ...

Before:
.... a false information

After:
.... false report.

Story:
One plot twist would be to make Antonidas be the main antagonist. Since Antonidas has allowed Delara to go to Kalimdor, he must be brewing something behind the scenes.

A supporting instance of this idea is when Antonidas believes that the Cult of the Damned is not a threat. He immediately gives out an order to Manorok to stop what he was doing beforehand and attend to Delara as her guard. This leads to a soon-to-be background revelation that the Cult of the Damned has done something too terrible to Manorok and he has sworn vengeance upon those who did it to him, but he does not know it was the Cult of the Damned.

Triggers:
Try to make the units act it out with animations, as they are standing idly by, without any goal whatsoever.

Terrain:
Meh, I'm not so good in terraining so no complaint here.

Level 7
Hey, I tried out your map. It has a solid concept with characters that feel authentic.
Thanks ^^

For your first map, (the Prologue);

Prologue Loading Screen:
It does not tell the player what is being introduced or what the story is about.
Adding a description on loading the map would be a viable suggestion as it seems quite lacking in definition.
Well, I now newly created a real prologue and the prologues were made into chapters and in the prologue it is said what is happening, though I feel like it's too short so I'll try to expand it.

On Map Start:
There is a trigger that runs on initialization, which plays a certain music. It occurs even as you are getting ready to press any button. That would need some fixing.
The aforementioned music needs to be preloaded as there is a slight latency when playing the cinematic.
Will do

Dialogue:
Some of the dialogue of the characters seem quite genuine. Within map development, there will be errors, be it grammatical mistakes, unexpected dialogue, etc.
That being said, you might need to transform the dialogue from 21st Century casual to 16th Century casual.

Example:
Before:

Manarok:
That's me

After:

Manarok:
It is me / It is I.

Before:

Antonidas:
... Currently ...

After:

Antonidas:
... As of now ...

Before:
.... a false information

After:
.... false report.
Yep, English is not my mother-tongue so I don't know what is and what isn't new and old english that well, I'll work on that

Story:
One plot twist would be to make Antonidas be the main antagonist. Since Antonidas has allowed Delara to go to Kalimdor, he must be brewing something behind the scenes.

A supporting instance of this idea is when Antonidas believes that the Cult of the Damned is not a threat. He immediately gives out an order to Manorok to stop what he was doing beforehand and attend to Delara as her guard. This leads to a soon-to-be background revelation that the Cult of the Damned has done something too terrible to Manorok and he has sworn vengeance upon those who did it to him, but he does not know it was the Cult of the Damned.

Well, it was originally meant that Antonidas believed in her misison and that it would help, but just as the now 2nd chapter ends and one of them is left behind, the other goes to warn Delara and she will send a messenger to Kirin Tor for aid, but as he reaches them (IF he reaches them, not decided yet) he will find out that the cult has already been spread and the undead are attacking all over Lordaeron and so Delara will be left on her own, aided by elves and together they will defeat the necromancer who isn't Kel'Thuzad, only his servant,
in this though the armies of Delara will be wiped out (thus untold story - there will be none left to tell of it) and elven forces will be heavly struck, maybe only Ishnu'talah will survive and he will become to storyteller, not sure about it yet.

Triggers:
Try to make the units act it out with animations, as they are standing idly by, without any goal whatsoever.
Will do

Terrain:
Meh, I'm not so good in terraining so no complaint here.
Neither am I but I am glad there is nothing to be complained about :D

Thank you for your time and feedback! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.