• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

DEFCON: Everyone Dies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 9
Pic1.jpg

It's Global Thermonuclear War, and everyone loses. But maybe you can lose the least.

{Objective}

The objective in DEFCON is to destroy enemy cities while attempting to protect your own. Player who kills the most civilians wins.

{Gameplay}

There are five (5) DEFCON levels, with DEFCON 5 being the highest and DEFCON 1 being the lowest. The game starts out at DEFCON 5. The player is given till DEFCON 3 to place all of his units. At DEFCON 4, radar coverage begins and everything within the radar station's area is revealed to the player. At DEFCON 3, the player may attack any other player with conventional weapons only. At DEFCON 1, nuclear attacks are availiable.

Players start off with 7 radar stations, 6 silos (air defence) 4 airbases, 12 battleships, 12 carriers, and 12 submarines.

{UNITS}

Fighter: The Fighter is a fast attack intercepter that can shoot down enemy fighters and bombers. The fighter can also attack enemy ships and submarines (only when surfaced) and can be used for scouting. Range is low due to small fuel tanks.

Bomber: The Bomber carries one (1) Short Range Ballistic Missle (SRBM) nuclear missle. The bomber has almost unlimited range, and can reach all four corners of the Earth.

Carrier: The Carrier can launch five (5) fighters and bombers. It has no guns and relies on battleships and fighters for cover. Has depth charges to attack submerged submarines.

Battleship The Battleship is a support unit and can attack both sea and air units. It is vulnerable to submarine attacks.

Submarine: The Submarine is the most important unit in the game in that it can get close to the enemy without being detected. The submarine carries five (5) Medium Range Ballistic Missle (MRBM) nuclear missles. Has no radar. Can attack enemy ships. Nuclear launches are revealed to all players.

Radar: Radar reveals everything within it's range, allowing you to see any sneak attacks or incoming fighters/bombers. Radar is easily destroyed by nuclear attacks.

Air Defence: Air Defence shoots down enemy fighters and bombers, and can shoot down incoming nuclear missles. Has the ability to switch to Launch mode, allowing for nuclear missles to be launched. Is the most fortified structure against nuclear attacks.

Launch Silo: The Launch Silo holds ten (10) Long Range Ballistic Missle (LRBM or ICBM) nuclear missles. Has thr ability to switch back to Air Defence, and is the most fortified structure against nuclear attacks. Nuclear launches are revealed to all players.

{How Nukes work}

Every city has a population number (example: New York City has 22.7 million) and the number is somewhat reflected in the city's HP. New York City, in the map, has 220700 health (22.7 million). When a nuclear missle hits a city, it does a certain amount of damage on the target. If a nuke that has 17000 damage hits NYC, then it would reduce the size (HP) to 203700. That means that it just killed 1.7 million people. Example:

If a nuke that does 17000 damage hits a city of 1.9 million (19000 HP) then it would leave 2000 HP left, or .2 million people. Get it?

{Cities}

United States

Seattle (Population 1.5 million)
Portland (Population 1.2 million)
San Fransisco (Population 9.5 million)
Los Angeles (Population 10.2 million)
Phoenix (Population 2.8 million)
Denver (Population 1.6 million)
San Antonio (Population 2.9 million)
Houston (Population 5.4 million)
Dallas (Population 3.1 million)
Oklahoma City (Population 1.4 million)
Kansas City (Population 1.4 million)
St. Louis (Population 1.3 million)
Memphis (Population 2.0 million)
New Orleans (Population 1.7 million)
Jacksonville (Population 1.9 million)
Atlanta (Population 1.3 million)
Nashville (Population 1.5 million)
Chicago (Population 9.4 million)
Indianapolis (Population 2.2 million)
Washington D.C. (Population 6.3 million)
New York City (Population 22.7 million)
Boston (Population 1.8 million)

Soviet Union

Leningrad (Population 15.2 million)
Moscow (Population 27.0 million)
Yaroslav (Population 2.0 million)
Rydean (Population 1.6 million)
Voronozh (Population 2.7 million)
Krasrvodav (Population 1.9 million)
Ivanovo (Population 1.5 million)
Gorky (Population 4.4 million)
Kazan (Population 3.3 million)
Saratov (Population 2.8 million)
Volograd (Population 3.0 million)
Kuibyshav (Population 3.9 million)
Breznev (Population 1.4 million)
Perm (Population 3.3 million)
Ufa (Population 3.3 million)
Orenburg (Population 1.6 million)
Sverdlousk (Population 4.1 million)
Ustinov (Population 1.9 million)
Omsk (Population 3.5 million)
Barwaul (Population 1.8 million)
Kemerovo (Population 1.6 million)
Novokliznetsk (Population 1.8 million)
Krasnoyarsk (Population 2.7 million)
Irkutsk (Population 1.9 million)
Khabaruvstk (Population 1.8 million)

{Countries}

United States (US)
South America
Europe
Africa
Russia (Soviet Union)
Asia
Australia (COMING SOON)

{Game Modes}

DEFCON: The "normal" mode. Alliances may be made and broken; normal gameplay and units.

(COMING SOON) DEFCON Diplomacy: This mode of DEFCON has all players allied. As the game progresses, players may be kicked from the Alliance. Will that accidental fighter launch lead to an Alliance break up? How long will your Alliance last? This ain't for kids.

(COMING SOON) World DEFCON: Players are given twice the units (example: 24 battleships, 12 silos, etc...) This is the gametype for "unbeatable" players, or for those looking for a bigger game. Will having twice the nukes mean the end of you?

(COMING SOON) Final DEFCON: Players are given ground units (tanks, infantry, and mobile nuclear artillery) and are given twice the units. Get 'rid of that rifle and pick up a nuke launcher.

(COMING SOON) Super DEFCON: Players are given ground units and four times the amount of subs. Will you be able to shoot down all the nukes before they hit their targets? Don't bring grandma to this war.

{Recruitment}

I will be looking for someone who can trigger well (basically the Game Modes) I will post when i need someone, this is just a heads up.

I am currently looking for someone who can terrain (successfully) the world so that it looks like this (look at the terrain, not the missles and explosions lol):

screenshot1[1].jpg

http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/f256/terrainer-needed-114387/#post981221

If you're interested, please PM me.

{Information}

There are only two playable countries and one mode in the Alpha version of this map (US and Russia/ Normal gameplay) and this is only because I need to test out unit damage plus the nuclear attacks. "Coming Soon" means that it will be in the Beta versions of the map, and for Australia, it's debatable.

Current progress:

Triggers: | | | | | | | | |

Units: | | | | | | | |

Terrain: | | | | | | | | | |

Other: | | | | | | | | | |

DEFCON is based on the computer game "DEFCON" which is based on the movie "WarGames". WC3's version of DEFCON is, I hope, going to be a big success and is going to be very similar to the actual game (not in all fields, of course)

A warning to all players: If you cannot handle the thought of Nuclear War, let alone participating in it, then this map isn't for you. Stop reading, close the window and go do something else. How about a nice game of Chess?

If you can participate in it, though, then read on. It is up to you to protect your country while killing your enemy. It is possible to kill millions while losing none of your own, so go out and find that strategy ASAP. Have fun, good luck and happy hunting :wink:

(Below are two thumbnails that show a retaliation strike against the USSR by the US, and the end of the game. This is what DEFCON: Everyone Dies is going to look like)

(NEW) {Questions and Answers}

Q: When is the map going to be released?

A: Well, if I get a terrainer now, then it should be released around the first week of Febuary.

Q: Will this be an on going project?

A: Yes, it will. I will be updating the Beta version, fixing any bugs that may arise, and further balancing out the map untill there are no more problems to fix, and thus a final version is released.

Q: Is this map protected?

A: Yes, this map will be protected when I release it to the public. Map theft is a problem, and I personally don't want my ideas or map to be stolen, edited or "fixed" without my permission. It's my map, I put the time into making it, and it isn't fair for me to have someone else take what is mine.

Q: Will you ever release an unprotected version?

A: Yes.

Q: Your map has information I need (like triggers) yet your map is protected. What now?

A: Contact me, and I'll be more than glad to help you. Contact me either on this thread, by PM, or by E-mail ([email protected])

~~~More questions to come~~~

(NEW) {Screenshots}

Untitled4.jpg

The loading screen for DEFCON (this is still debatable)

Launch1.jpg

A nuclear launch being detected.

Launch2.jpg

Moscow being nuked.

Launch3.jpg

Moscow being nuked again.

Silo1.jpg

A nuclear Launch Silo (the Guard Tower icon switches the Silo into Air Defense mode)

Sub1.jpg

A surfaced submarine ready to launch it's payload.

Don't mind the terrain, I haven't found a terrainer yet so right now it's just basic, except the few crappy ones I added myself lol. The map will be in it's Beta phase (public release) once I get a terrainer and fix a few bugs and other stuff (unit size, etc). Thanks to Elifan for the Damage System.

Attachments

• Play1.jpg
    Play1.jpg
    346.4 KB · Views: 517
  • Play2.jpg
    Play2.jpg
    324.3 KB · Views: 707
Last edited:
Level 9
Don't you listen? He does not even have a terrainer yet :p.

And hes also looking for a good scripter..

Anyway, good luck

Now now, be nice :D

Yeah, without a terrainer, this map isn't going to go anywhere. You can have the units/triggers, but without the terrain, it's worthless :(. The scripter though probably isn't going to matter though. If I end up deciding not to ask someone else to do it, then I'll find some tutorial or tear a map apart and do it as best as I can myself.

If everything goes as I plan (and I get a terrainer soon) then I should have a beta out soon. Already got the countdown timer and launch detection working, woot.

Btw, nice icons you got there. Thinking about using some for the map (credits, of course)

Now now, be nice :D

Yeah, without a terrainer, this map isn't going to go anywhere. You can have the units/triggers, but without the terrain, it's worthless :(. The scripter though probably isn't going to matter though. If I end up deciding not to ask someone else to do it, then I'll find some tutorial or tear a map apart and do it as best as I can myself.

If everything goes as I plan (and I get a terrainer soon) then I should have a beta out soon. Already got the countdown timer and launch detection working, woot.

Btw, nice icons you got there. Thinking about using some for the map (credits, of course)

Yeah, a terraining is unchangeable. Well if you want to have all of your cities built, which are listed there, you can only think about an 256x256 map. And about the icons:

Thanks... I am glad you like it. More come when I have time and interest.

Well currently I work hard at Templar Arena, so I can't join your team.
My reallife is also a bit hard atm, so much to do.

Level 9
Yeah, a terraining is unchangeable. Well if you want to have all of your cities built, which are listed there, you can only think about an 256x256 map. And about the icons:

Thanks... I am glad you like it. More come when I have time and interest.

Well currently I work hard at Templar Arena, so I can't join your team.
My reallife is also a bit hard atm, so much to do.

I don't think map size'll be an issue, all the cities are going to be small so everything should fit nicely. Yeah, I was thinking about asking you to help me out after I looked at your pics of Templar Arena (when's it coming out, if you have a fixed date?) but nvm lol. I will find someone though :D

And I hear ya, life's hard atm.

I don't think map size'll be an issue, all the cities are going to be small so everything should fit nicely. Yeah, I was thinking about asking you to help me out after I looked at your pics of Templar Arena (when's it coming out, if you have a fixed date?) but nvm lol. I will find someone though :D
Well the map size increases the amount of time to the first beta release.

HEh, seems that you like my terraining :)

Ye, currently its REALLY bad =(

And I hear ya, life's hard atm.
Yupp, so I wish you gl & hf.

Level 34
Presented well, good and logical order, spelling's correct. You can be an door-to-door salesman! Just sign here.

But let's get to the point, the concept looks great and you promised much. I might play it. I just hope for you that you make a nice terrain, with balanced things, correct spelling and all the rest of the crap you can make up.

(..)
and can reach all four corners of the Earth.
Wasn't the earth round?

(..)
and find a terrainer.
I can terrain a bit*.

*understatement.

Level 9
Presented well, good and logical order, spelling's correct. You can be an door-to-door salesman! Just sign here.

But let's get to the point, the concept looks great and you promised much. I might play it. I just hope for you that you make a nice terrain, with balanced things, correct spelling and all the rest of the crap you can make up.

Wasn't the earth round?

I can terrain a bit*.

*understatement.

Awesome, I've always wanted to be a door to door salesman XD

Everything'll be balanced out, no worries. Of course most of it will come from the public release and issues that will (I hope) be brought to my attention (I'll be providing my Xfire and E-mail in the release) so that I can balance everything out. I'll try to balance it out to my best ability before I release it though.

The earth may be round, but people still say 4 corners. Go figure.

Btw, nice ava.

Level 9
Update bump.

Add new Questions and Answers section. Updated Current Progress list:

Current progress:

Triggers: | | | | | | | | |

Units: | | | | | | | |

Terrain: | | | | | | | | | |

Other: | | | | | | | | | |

Posted project recruitment thread for terrainer.

http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/f256/terrainer-needed-114387/#post981221

Updated units, fixed submerge problem and added in fuel range limit for Fighter. Fixed attack problem with Battleship and Submarine, changed attack range. Changed scale value for all buildings, added in Alliance triggers, updated credits and command list, added "GAME OVER" countdown timer. Adding cities for other 4 players (see {Countries} list for players. Map is ready for release after terrain is finished.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.