• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Solved] Dealing with the limit of buffs/spells

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 8
I'm sure there's already a topic about this somewhere. But how do you deal with buffs/spells if you want to have more than the game offers?

As far as I understand, buffs/spells dont stack of same kind.
Like, I cannot make a custom Inner Fire spell and expect it to stack with the already excisting Inner Fire.

However, thats actually not the real problem though. It's easy for me to make spells/buffs through triggers. But it becomes a problem if I want to have Despell in my game. I cannot despell triggers, unless I trigger it to do so.

So my real question is:
Is there a way to make additional stackable buffs?
Or is there a way to make a trigger system, that makes it easy to add to your trigger spells, once it has been established?

Thank you in advance. I look forward to your replies! ^^

Level 11
Auras with different buffs will always stack. You can give a unit a disabled spell book with an aura in it, and it will have the effect of giving the unit the aura without displaying it in the command panel - so if the aura only effects that unit, essentially it will just act as a buff. Positive auras also allow negative values to be set, so you could for example use a negative Devotion Aura to simulate armor debuff effects.

Consequently you can use the disabled spell book trick to hide the icon of other passive effects like crits, bashes, evasion, etc.

Level 8
Ah I see. Thank you very much!
So this is the way to make unlimited stackable buffs/debuffs?

Is there anything else I should be aware of before engaging this trick?

Level 21
This is a much more complicated thing in my mind.

The aura thing is very useful if you have limited cases where you need the buff, but in many cases it just becomes a bit hard.

In general, the best way to fix this problem is creating your own buff system, which can be insanely hard, but makes many other things easier (such as custom stats)

What a good buff system could and probably should contain:
Stacking (optional)
Stats (through a bonusmod, mostly)
Data (how much a stat was modified)
Specific referencing (each buff is a separate object)
Types (to know where a buff came from)
Duration (automatic removal after some time)
Dispelling (can remove a buff before duration ends)
Events (each buff and buff type has its own + there is a general event for some reason)

As might be apparent, I'm trying to make a buff system, but currently it is too complicated for me to finish.

Level 8
Thank you very much Xonok. I tried myself to engage in making a trigger system, but like you said, it's not that easy. Your notes is a good way to start though.
I'll stick to the spellbook solution for now.

Thank you both again. I consider my thread solved :)

Status
Not open for further replies.