• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Deadmines v1.8

This bundle is marked as useful / simple. Simplicity is bliss, low effort and/or may contain minor bugs.
Reactions: tightwadsjeeper2
Players: 1-4 coop
Time: Takes about an hour
Description:
One or more players select 4 heroes and journey through the Deadmines of Westfall. Choose from 12 unique hero classes with different strategic strengths to build your party. Face 9 different enemies and 7 unique bosses in 14 well balanced encounters as you learn new abilities and find valuable items. If you make it through you get to face the leader of the defias bandits, Edwin Van Cleef himself!

Inspired by the deadmines instance from World of Warcraft. All enemies, items, spells and heroes are based on WOW.

Created by Abra.

This map is protected.

PLEASE! List what version you played when you comment, also PLEASE COMMENT!
Thanks!

Updates
-improved terrain and atmosphere
-main quest and quest log
-intro scene
-some rebalancing
-minimap preview
-enrage timers

Updates
-Changed several abilities to more wow-like abilities, added some including:
sunder armor
whirlwind
-Added -roll
-Added kill score leaderboard
-Changed -recount to display damage on last boss
-Added thorough instructions in optional quests
-Improved on screen directions
-Improved balance
-Double checked hotkeys...I'm didn't see any that were broken
-Improved tooltips
-A few terrain tweaks...I think its pretty good though, I need more specific suggestions if I need to improve it further.
-Fixed all mentioned bugs

Updates
-Changed several abilities to more wow-like abilities, added some including:
Lifebloom
Mana Tide Totem
Hand of Protection
Summon Pet
Explosive Shot
Freeze Trap
Summon Demon
Ice Lance
Scorch

-Added Several boss abilities, including:
Knockback (Sneed)
Summoning Spawn (Cookie)
Explosive Barrels (Gilnid)

-Added -pvp to allow players to experiment with fighting each other
-Improved balance
-Improved tooltips
-Increased overall movement speed.
-Followed terrain suggestions, added more doodads, changed the lighting and fog.
-Fixed all mentioned bugs

Keywords:
WOW, warcraft, world, deadmines, instance, van, cleef, edwin, party, hero, heroes, DPS, tank, heal, item, coop, co-op, PVE, magic, boss
Contents

Deadmines v1.8 (Map)

Reviews
19:51, 21st May 2009 by bounty hunter2: Bugs, bad terrain, heroes are bad, Rejected. 14:52, 3rd Jun 2009 by bounty hunter2: Not much improvements, regular spells, heroes, hotkeys missing, bad tooltips, still very bad terrain, Rejected. 13:07...

M

19:51, 21st May 2009 by bounty hunter2:
Bugs, bad terrain, heroes are bad, Rejected.

14:52, 3rd Jun 2009 by bounty hunter2:
Not much improvements, regular spells, heroes, hotkeys missing, bad tooltips, still very bad terrain, Rejected.

13:07, 8th Jul 2009
Still not much better, bad terrain, rather dull gameplay etc.

Level 2
Uploaded a new version with:

-improved terrain and atmosphere
-main quest and quest log
-intro scene
-some rebalancing
-minimap preview
-enrage timers

Any thoughts or suggestions would be awesome.

test

~Thanks

Last edited:
Level 2
Wait, you didn't start with any lumber?

I've never seen that, depending on the number of players you start with 1-4 lumber (4 total between all players), there is no way to get more lumber thats the hero limit. Did something different happen for you?

Last edited:
Level 1
1......the wisp appears as idle worker but as I cannot select it to build anything, the icon for idle worker should not appear.
2.....In Vampire's Life Drain it is written that the health is given to dark ranger. You forgot to change the description.
3........You need to place in-game info. See my Signature Link "The importance of Description"
4........I chose vampire & was at the beginning place before an invulnerable gate & near an invulnerable person. I never knew what to do here.

Level 8
Hey Abra, i love instance maps, i just love them ;P So i downloaded your map and tested in on single player and even on battle-net.

Here is my review:

[+] Units are well balanced.
[!] The heroes moves to slow, that kinda makes the game boring to play, i suggest you increase the movement speed a little.
[!] The enemies are boring, nothing special on mobs or bosses, i suggest you put some nice knockback effects on the big bosses and some AoE slams or something, makes the game harder and more fun. Its just hit, move, hit, move in a long time. You can also give the bosses and units new skins, or models, this will make it much more interesting to fight against them.
[-] The terrain is bad, sorry to say it. If you want to improve it, you can try look on the other maps here on the hive, there is some pretty awesome terrains on the maps. And even better, you can look on the Terrain Forums to get some inspiration how to improve yours.
I suggest setting a more powerfull fog (Dark Blue) or something, and add more doodads, to it gets the right feeling in it =)
[-] The Heroes are not so good, their spells is just original WC3 spells with changes in tooltips, try make more and better triggered spells.

Oh well, we almost completed the whole thing, and i think it will be a Awesome game if you improve it alot in next version, if you want i can help you with the terrain (a little).

I wont rate it yet, but i agree with bounty hunter2 with the Rejection.

Level 2
- I had the heroes slow to prevent running or kiting, I can speed the heroes up then speed up the mobs tho.

- Bosses: Out of curiousity how far did you get? Yes the first 2 bosses are tank and spank, the 3rd and 4th are on enrage timers, the 5th battle is heavily triggered (smite), the 6th battle has hi dmg poisons and no aggro and the battle with VC has lots of triggers too. I'll add more triggers to the second, third and 4th bosses, I'd like at least the first boss to be tank and spank tho.

- Heroes: I like blizzards models and skins. Honestly I don't see the need to change them just to have them be different. I don't plan to do any modeling or skinning, there is plenty to work with in the editor. Are there any models you think should be different? I was considering changing the pandaran to a bear form druid.

- Abilities: Again I kinda like blizzards abilities...I don't see why I should fix what isn't broken. Also, all the abilities correspond to abilities in WOW and I don't want to create and add abilities that aren't in wow. That said tho, I enjoy adding new functionality to the abilities and I plan to add different abilities from wow that have some different effects. Currently 6 of the 36 abilities have additional effects, I plan to add more in future versions.

- Terrain: Meh, terrain is terrain. But I have no idea what I'm talking about I suppose. I feel like my map looks like maps in the WC 3 campaign and other maps from the hive, but your not the only one to mention my terrain so I believe you. I'm an engineer, so admittedly I'm no artist. I'll change the fog color and add more doodads, rocks especially probably. I know its an artistic thing, so its hard to say whats missing persay except "it", but anything else you can point at?

Thanks for your comments!

Level 2
Deadmines v1.8 is almost perfect.

Great map, although it's not too complex or advanced, it's entertaining to play and nearly perfectly balanced. Although most heroes only have 3 simple abilities, all three abilities are detailed and work just fine. I honestly think you guys should lay off the terraining complaints because quite honestly when I play this it looks like a detailed underground dungeon. To be honest the only thing I think needs to be added is something to help the item system; I hate how half the loot is the same thing and your inventory is full from the start and half the loot isn't used. This could be fixed by adding consumable items or by implementing a system to combine two of the same item to create an item with the same bonuses as the two used to be combined, but with a greater effect. BTW, Abra, this is xSoggyxWafflesx :thumbs_up:

Level 5
V1.8

Terrain - Improve everything. Do it all again from scratch and try ur best. I have played WoW and no areas looked like Deadmines. I got a tip for the boat. Create a teleporter or something, that instantly teleports a hero aboard the ship.

Items - Not based on WoW at all. And wheres the loot system? And did you know there are plenty of wow icons here at hive? I would like to see attack power and spellpower. Attribute items are soo booring.

Abilities - Oh no. All of them not based on wow either. Like innervate; it gives you mana over time. You couldn't find a wc3 ability for that I guess... Do triggered spells.

I see just some lazy work. Gah! shame on u :mwahaha:

Level 2
V1.8

Terrain - Improve everything. Do it all again from scratch and try ur best. I have played WoW and no areas looked like Deadmines. I got a tip for the boat. Create a teleporter or something, that instantly teleports a hero aboard the ship.

Items - Not based on WoW at all. And wheres the loot system? And did you know there are plenty of wow icons here at hive? I would like to see attack power and spellpower. Attribute items are soo booring.

Abilities - Oh no. All of them not based on wow either. Like innervate; it gives you mana over time. You couldn't find a wc3 ability for that I guess... Do triggered spells.

I see just some lazy work. Gah! shame on u :mwahaha:

Terrain: I'd love to make an area that looks more like a ship. Teleporting players to an area doesn't help the fact that there's not wood plank tile set in the editor for me to use, so I don't see how that helps anything or what you mean by that. As far as a complete redo its something I'm considering, I'm not sure I can do much better though.

Items: All boss drops are items from deadmines, the stats are changed to match the prime stats of my map. I would have to invent a new combat system to make the items stats match exactly, the small amount of enjoyment that might add for some people is not worth the work.

There are very few attack power drops in DM and zero spell power drops. The +damage items act as a combination of the two and make items more useful.

Loot system is a good idea, I'll put that in next. Thanks.

Abilities: You are mistaken, they are all BASED on wow. The general idea of them is exactly the same, but the execution may be slightly different in my map. Like in WOW heart of the wild grants a percentage of int, str and AP. In my map it gives only str. It would be impossible to balance if I limited myself to EXACTLY replicating abilities from wow, so I get them as close as I can. Also, 14 out of the 36 abilities are triggered. Even Innervate, the spell you complained about is triggered, there is no ability in WC3 that grants a player a flat amount of mana that I know of. I made it a flat amount to make it more different from mana tide totem.

Anyway, Inspired by =/= exact replica, and maybe thats where your opinion turned sour. For reasons stated above I'm not trying to or can't possibly make an exact replica. There are some ways that I could make it CLOSER to WOW I suppose, but closer to WOW does not necessarily mean more fun imo.

This is my first map, give me the benefit of the doubt and chalk it up to inexperience not lazyness. Thanks for your comments, the loot system really is a good idea and will be in the next version.

Level 5
there's not wood plank tile set in the editor for me to use

- Import? I know you can find it somewhere as I had it once.

All boss drops are items from deadmines, the stats are changed to match the prime stats of my map. I would have to invent a new combat system to make the items stats match exactly, the small amount of enjoyment that might add for some people is not worth the work.

- Small amount of enjoyment for some people? I don't think so. Cuz the only thing you do on your map is running around in a booring atmosphere, killing bosses and receiving items. If you kill a boss, you want a great reward. Not just a silly attribute bonus item. I maybe was wrong about SP and AP, but I still think you should add it. It maybe isn't pure deadmine wow, but would still improve the gameplay.

Even Innervate, the spell you complained about is triggered

- ok, wrong sry.

Please don't take my critics wrong. And you know I'm right. Why you think your map got "rejected"?

Level 2
Please don't take my critics wrong. And you know I'm right. Why you think your map got "rejected"?

1.8 has not been rejected, 1.6 was my last review, a lot has changed since then as far as abilities and bosses in 1.7 and 1.8.

As far as terrain, what can I say, I guess I just suck at it. Good terrain does not a good map make tho imo.

As far as how to do a boat, how would that work? I can import a new texture for wood, fine. But my cliffs will all be rock still. I can't put wood on top of water without there being a rocky cliff edge going into the water can I?

Level 5
To do this boat-cliff, you must use the other raise terrain. Form it so it looks like a platform, paint it with woodtile. Would be cool if you used two different wood tiles - 1 for the deck and 1 for the sides of the boat.

Theres a lot of ship stuffs if ya dl and open this map; http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/terrain-board-267/the-ultimate-terraining-map-3-0-a-45316/

As far as terrain, what can I say, I guess I just suck at it. Good terrain does not a good map make tho imo.
No, you don't suck. You just need some more practice. BTW, I suggest you download UMSWE - http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/tools-560/umswe-62880/

With that program, you can do very steep cliffs using that other "raise height" :) Its really helpfull.

GL