• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Daughter of the Sea

full

jainabanner-png.362985

full

This is an entry for the Tech Tree Contest #15

Play as the commander hero Jaina Proudmoore, Lord Admiral and former Archmage of Dalaran.
She will lead her main Kul Tiras forces as well as powerful Mechagon, Kirin Tor and Stormwind allies against her foes.

REFORGED ONLY

full

Credits:

Most model, textures and icons were done by me. I extend a huge thanks to the help and resources of people below:

Music:
Blizzard Entertainment

Building Models:
Tamplier777

Loading Screen Art:
Sergey Samarskiy

Groundwork for Jaina's Spells:
Uncle

Damage Engine:
Bribe

Bone Shield Spell (Water Shield):
Devalut

Custom Race Spawn System:
Archmage Owenalacaster
Contents

Daughter of the Sea (Map)

Reviews
Shar Dundred
True Moonman quality. Nothing else to say. Approved!
Reforged m8. What do you expect? You are blessed that it's not a campaign :D

My Reforged campaign is only 39mb :)

EDIT: So I gave it a playthrough and here's a few things I noticed:

Pros:
- The custom resources are just phenomenal from the icons to the models its all just... wow! Big props on this front.
- The custom voices for the Kul Tirans especially the worker unit I just found to be such a nice touch that really enhanced the feel of the race. Top tip to other map makers never ignore sound design.
- The number of units seems like plenty for a good variation as well as upgrades to customise and improve your army.
- QWER hotkey system is always welcome though obviously not a necessity.
- Jaina feels unique and powerful as the Co-op Commander and definitely stands out.
- The style of the tooltips is very informative and cool and good for new players to pick up and see what each thing does.
- Love the spellcasters, they're spells are all unique and fit the theme.
- Overall a very nice start with all the basics covered for the most part. I'm well impressed :)

Cons:
- So right off the bat I noticed a typo in the tooltip for the Barracks it says "promery" and this then led me to inspect most of the tooltips. A lot of them need changing or editing for errors. Some are completely unchanged like the description for the mana cake upgrade mentioning spell breakers and the Ghost Ship's Tooltip completely missing the units name in the building.
- Upon training Jaina she appears to have a re-usable teleport scroll in her inventory as well as a Scroll of tp looking ability right next to the talents spell book. I didn't use it but it appears she has a Scroll of tp ability as well? If you pick up a Cloak of Shadows the tooltipless Scroll of tp ability disappears which isn't good.
- There seems to be some weird scaling with some units. The Kirin Tor, Jaina and the Admiral's guard all feel really small maybe they could use with being bumped up. This also made it hard to differentiate between the cloaked Admiral's Guard and the Kirin Tor Guardian.
- Kirin Tor Guardians cost 130 gold which for a unit that deals the same damage as the Admiral's Guard they're over-powered. The race as a whole seems to have a lot of melee units and it feels weird having both knights and the Admiral's Guard.
- Jaina's W doesn't seem to improve with each level. Her ultimate tooltip could also mention that it changes her Blizzard from a targetable AoE to a Starfall type ability.
- 160 hp Mariner will be lovely exp fodder for an Undead player so maybe buff it a bit :)
- No shop, I wanna buy Kul Tiran Haddock :mad:
- I feel like the talent system could've been done a wee bit better, maybe more like AMarkov's?
- In contrast to your Emerald Nightmare map this one whilst still really impressive and enjoyable I feel was a lot more rushed (like this review lol) and needs a lot of polish.

Hope this helps for the future even if the Competition only has 12 mins left :/

Last edited:
My Reforged campaign is only 39mb :)

EDIT: So I gave it a playthrough and here's a few things I noticed:

Pros:
- The custom resources are just phenomenal from the icons to the models its all just... wow! Big props on this front.
- The custom voices for the Kul Tirans especially the worker unit I just found to be such a nice touch that really enhanced the feel of the race. Top tip to other map makers never ignore sound design.
- The number of units seems like plenty for a good variation as well as upgrades to customise and improve your army.
- QWER hotkey system is always welcome though obviously not a necessity.
- Jaina feels unique and powerful as the Co-op Commander and definitely stands out.
- The style of the tooltips is very informative and cool and good for new players to pick up and see what each thing does.
- Love the spellcasters, they're spells are all unique and fit the theme.
- Overall a very nice start with all the basics covered for the most part. I'm well impressed :)

Cons:
- So right off the bat I noticed a typo in the tooltip for the Barracks it says "promery" and this then led me to inspect most of the tooltips. A lot of them need changing or editing for errors. Some are completely unchanged like the description for the mana cake upgrade mentioning spell breakers and the Ghost Ship's Tooltip completely missing the units name in the building.
- Upon training Jaina she appears to have a re-usable teleport scroll in her inventory as well as a Scroll of tp looking ability right next to the talents spell book. I didn't use it but it appears she has a Scroll of tp ability as well? If you pick up a Cloak of Shadows the tooltipless Scroll of tp ability disappears which isn't good.
- There seems to be some weird scaling with some units. The Kirin Tor, Jaina and the Admiral's guard all feel really small maybe they could use with being bumped up. This also made it hard to differentiate between the cloaked Admiral's Guard and the Kirin Tor Guardian.
- Kirin Tor Guardians cost 130 gold which for a unit that deals the same damage as the Admiral's Guard they're over-powered. The race as a whole seems to have a lot of melee units and it feels weird having both knights and the Admiral's Guard.
- Jaina's W doesn't seem to improve with each level. Her ultimate tooltip could also mention that it changes her Blizzard from a targetable AoE to a Starfall type ability.
- 160 hp Mariner will be lovely exp fodder for an Undead player so maybe buff it a bit :)
- No shop, I wanna buy Kul Tiran Haddock :mad:
- I feel like the talent system could've been done a wee bit better, maybe more like AMarkov's?
- In contrast to your Emerald Nightmare map this one whilst still really impressive and enjoyable I feel was a lot more rushed (like this review lol) and needs a lot of polish.

Hope this helps for the future even if the Competition only has 12 mins left :/
Thanks for the quick playthrough!

I definitely have picked up too much work at once plus unexpected irl stuff. It is clear to me now that I burned out and simply wanted to finish as much as I can. The result speaks for itself, it's not the best I could have done. Units and their abilities are fun I hope, but the F-ups here and there give it a bad taste.

I would suggest though trying the map for a Mechagon Fighter build, made these guys as fun as possible to play.

I love the feel of it, the art is amazing and I really appreciate when you include things from wow lore and make it work like the Tidesage and the Mechagon flier. Love the worker and the voice lines. Almost all of the art look really nice, especially the mechagon flier and the Tidesage, but I don't like the portraits of the Javelin Thrower and the Gryphon. The javelin one looks too distant and the Gryphon one is missing.

Unique and new abilities such as sunder armor and cleasing rain are awesome, really hope I can get some good ones of my own into my campaign.

The abilities, talents and unique units make it really feel like it's a real co-op commander and with some more balance changes this could really make it's way into many co-op maps. If you add some more heroes and tweak Jaina a bit, you got yourself another awesome melee race in addition to your nightmare one.

Level 18
Quick melee enjoyment and nice tech tree.

A few points I particularly enjoyed:
- while it is simple to modify the base icon color, it's a really nice addition that many won't think about and it definitely adds a touch to the faction
- many of the custom models are elegant with details to recall their factions
- the upgrades are refreshing compared to the regular melee ones and the technological variations between Alliance or Kul Tiras is a sexy touch as well