• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Defense / Survival] Dark Towers v0.08 (ALPHA)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 10
The game has a very bland name right now, I know. Who knows, another game might even have the same name. The name is subject to change.

This is a simple but challenging cooperative (or single player) survival game with some roguelike qualities.

At the moment the world is a randomly generated mix between forests and fields. Much more to be added on this later. There are some neutral structures that the player may interact with, like a cage containing a powerful beast of many possible types, and a scout tower that reveals the surrounding area.
There are also Dark Towers, an evil that is slowly corrupting the land. Every tick of the doom counter, evil is spawned from every tower, and the evil spawned becomes more powerful. Every ten ticks, more towers are spawned.
alphapreview_warrior1.jpg
The current goal is quite simple; fight, survive, accumulate kill points and see how high you can get on the doom counter. In the future there may be a final boss that can be killed to end the game. When a dark tower is destroyed, it will transform into a Light Tower healing you, granting vision and attacking enemies. These should be defended. When three dark towers would be created, a Black Tower will be created instead. Then a black tower and a dark tower, and so on. A black tower destroyed by a player will turn into a White Tower.
alphapreview_warrior2.jpg

Of the many classes (at least 30 something) in the final version, 19 distinct classes exist, some of which are almost unplayable, some of which are almost finished. To change classes, a player must equip an item that every class can get called Leather Gloves, after which if the player drops an item equippable by the class they're playing, their class will change appropriately.
For example, if I click my Leather Gloves to equip them, and then drop an Arcane Sword as a Recruit, my class will be changed to Warrior. As a Warrior, the items I get from killing enemies changes, and I can change my class further. The Warrior can become a Defender, a Wolfrider and a Butcher (though Butcher doesn't really work yet).
When the game is finished, the Recruit will be able to upgrade to a myriad of classes, all of which can upgrade to at least 3 classes. Not including special, hidden, and so forth.
alphapreview_scribe2.jpg
Abilities in this game exist as items, so I hope you have a working numpad. There is a pickaxe item that most classes will get and can be dropped. It can be used to dig up the ground, helping get items.
Every time you kill an enemy or use the pickaxe properly, you will have a change to get an item. If you don't, your luck will go up by one (your mana). Your chance of getting an item is 1/2 with full luck, 1/3 with 9 luck, and so on. All classes have different abilities and therefore have different item drops.
alphapreview_scribe1.jpg
When playing with a team, your group should naturally settle into a variety of complimentary classes, all of which posses unique abilities in the form of items obtained mostly by killing enemies.
Some classes have pets, like the Warrior and Wolfrider's wolves, and the Archer's hippogryphs. I designed AI so that these pets will automatically follow commands without having to be selected. They, too, are items that can be consumed in the form of an ability for the player.
This game really is made for team play, though I haven't really had the opportunity to test it that way. I'd love to get it hosted.

If you're interested in a challenge I recommend trying the class I put the most work into, the Scribe. To get him you have to equip a Scope and then a Scroll. To get these items easier you can type "hax", "give me gloves", "give me scope", "give me scroll".

The map isn't locked, though the triggers are a fairly unorganized mix of used and unused, complete and incomplete triggers and trigger fragments. The map contains many attachments that I created for it, please don't use them without my permission.
Please criticize my triggers but also please provide solutions if you do so.

Known Bugs
When generating a new map after losing, some patches of dirt sometimes remain. I'm not sure what's causing this and would love some input.

Attachments

• dark_forces08.w3x
    547.6 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.