• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Dark Iron Dwarf Axethrower

This bundle is marked as lacking. It fails to meet the standard requirements and may only have minor use.
The Dark Iron clan or Dark Iron Nation is a clan of Dark Iron dwarves. These dark skinned dwarves were formerly ruled by Sorcerer-thane Thaurissan and vied for control of Ironforge with the Bronzebeard clan and the Wildhammer clan during the War of the Three Hammers.

Now ruled by Moira Thaurissan, daughter of Magni Bronzebeard and widow of the late Emperor Dagran Thaurissan, the Dark Iron clan seek to forge a new future for themselves independent of the tyranny of Ragnaros and his minions, which has long been imposed upon them in their home of Blackrock Mountain. Under Moira's guidance, some of the Dark Iron clan have even moved into Ironforge to train the local dwarves in the ways of warlocks and mages.

Credits to Herrdave For the original Texture and Model which can be found here: Leave him a good rating!
Dwarf Axethrower (WotR)

You may even be able to use him as a demon or undead
Funfact: The futhark runes on the axe spell out Dave
Entry for Texturing Contest#29: Old Gods
Previews
Contents

Dark Iron Dwarf Axethrower Black (Texture)

Dark Iron Dwarf Axethrower deepBlack (Texture)

Dark Iron Dwarf Axethrower Gingerred (Texture)

Dark Iron Dwarf Axethrower Scarletred (Texture)

Reviews
Heinvers
Hello. So far the skin looks 'naked' in therms of texturing and overexposed. You should try reading our Hive texturing tutorials to better hone your skills. Not to mention looking up some reference on basic texturing. Good luck.
Level 6
A... "tutorial" to open him in-game??

How long have you been modding? You know how to import custom resources & use them, right?

~

Not sure why Magos wouldn't work for ya. :<

this has been my first texture for wc3, i'm more familiar with maya and the Steam hammer engine(dota2). But so far this has been my first try on extracting things from warcraftIII. Haven't done any insertions yet. The best way to learn is to do it step by step but i usually get better results if there's a small goal to achieve. Many a newb start with grand plans for 50 story campaign and tend to lose motivation due to the lack of oversight. So i joined this contest to start somewhere small.

The team colors ain't showing on the Magos model Editor, but i used 2 screens from Warcraft3 Viewer tool where the team colors do show up. (i textured with this as well, since getting my hands on the actual iv is still lost on me). I only get model and texture files, but no unwraps. I just dawns on me i might have to find that one by importing towards maya.

But updated the OP with a better showcase image.

Last edited:

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
Much better.

~

Ok, so you haven't done importing before. No problem. There are probably some tutorials that do a better job of explaining than me, but it's relatively simple; open the World Editor, open/create a map, then open the Import Editor & simply use the Import function to bring your custom skin texture (& the custom model it wraps to) into the map.

You will want to ensure that the paths are correct (i.e. it automatically uses "war3mapimported/FILENAMEHERE.EXT"; make sure to modify the path the Texture is in for the custom model (i.e. "Textures\FILENAMEHERE.EXT" or just the non-path: "FILENAMEHERE.EXT"), then **Save the Map** (very important). After that, you don't even need to restart the map or the World Editor; just open the Object Editor, create a custom unit and (or modify an existing one by) giv(ing) it the custom model, place it on the map to test it, and voila!

Level 6
@Kyrbi0
so i tried making a custom map and importing towards it.

I tried various things and even looked up some youtube vids but they come down to the same thing so i'm likely making a mistake in the file locations.

After i import a custom texture or model. Where does it end up in terms of sharing a custom map with custom texture it needs to be somewhere when you upload said map i suspect. War3mapimported/filename.ext

Isn't a location i can seem to find on my system.
like C://User/Program_files/WarcraftIII/war3mapimported/filename.ext

Or something like that. Another thing that might be my problem is that every unit only has 1 model link but not an additional texture link. So do i perhaps need to make the texture a part of the original model in order to make it work?

Attachments

• antonio_dwarf.w3x
    213.1 KB · Views: 113

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
I... don't quite know what's wrong, and I can't open the World Editor right now to screenshot examples for you...

Nothing we're doing here has any bearing on or from the filepath of your system (i.e. where your installation of Wc3 or the World Editor or the resource itself is). Normally, if you ever import a custom model it shows up in the Import Manager with a "filepath" specific for that map. Like "war3mapimported/CustomModelName.mdx".

If you try to assign that custom model to placed unit, it will give you an error & produce a green-and-black-checkered box: this doesn't work.

To make any custom model work, you need to save & close down the map you are working on, then re-open it & assign the custom model to the placed unit; it should work then //is what I believed & did for the last decade or so of modding... But apparently (thanks to @Retera ), all you need to do is Save the map you are working on. After that, assign the custom model to the placed unit & everything should look fine.

The Exception to this is..... with custom models that require a Custom Texture (rather than being entirely in-game Textured). Then you must also Import the custom Texture alongside the custom model. You must then assign the correct file-path to the Custom Texture (usually a minimum of removing "war3mapimported/"). If you don't know the file-path of the Texture, open the Custom Model in Magos, open the 'Texture Editor', and all the Textures it uses & their paths will be right there. Many times it's simply "Textures/CustomTextureName.blp", which is all you need to change it to in the World Editor's Import Editor.

Level 6
i succeeded ! Ty i kept reading overt and over and trying small changes but it's finally functioning ^^

Attachments

• screenshot.png
    screenshot.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 200
  • screenshot2.png
    screenshot2.png
    1 MB · Views: 235
  • screenshot3.png
    screenshot3.png
    964.7 KB · Views: 401
  • colorwheel.jpg
    colorwheel.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 172
Level 38
I initially thought the brightness of the beard was the problem, but I've changed my mind on that. I think the issue is actually that the beard doesn't have any shadows/highlights and it looks really flat. That color could be fine if it didn't look like the dwarf is surrounded by spotlights aimed directly at his facial hair

Level 3
... I dont want to seem daft, but what exactly is the path for this Skin?
Textures\DwarfAxethrower? Because I cant get it to work

... I dont want to seem daft, but what exactly is the path for this Skin?
Textures\DwarfAxethrower? Because I cant get it to work
Well, it's just for example "Dark_iron_axethrower.blp" without anything behind its name (like "Textures\", etc), if you actually applied/imported this texture on the model without editing its path (which I'm almost sure you did so).