• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Dark Elf Spellbreaker

This bundle is marked as awaiting update. A staff member has requested changes to it before it can be approved.
Greetings! :grin:
I present to you a dark elven spellbreaker based on the optimized model by the legendary :fp:Ujimasa Hojo!!

Dark elf models are a rarity and i plan to fill this niche with my humble efforts, this particular model could also be used as a night elf due to his blue skin or some manner of undead or possesed high/blood elf :razz:

Now i'm not a very skilled modeler in fact i cant model at all but besides the new texture work i made these changes:
-Altered the shape of the mask, pauldrons, shield and glaive
-Altered the effects of the spell animation to be purple-magenta

I hope you find this useful and there will be more to come :thumbs_up:
You are free to adjust, alter or use my model and texture in any way you please but i'd appreciate being credited alongside :fp:Ujimasa Hojo

UPDATE:
The model has been optimized and some minor adjustments have also been made, special thanks to :fp: Villagerino for his assitance and encouragement <3
Previews
Contents

Dark Elf Spellbreaker (Model)

Dark Elf Spellbreaker Icons (Icon)

Dark Elf Spellbreaker Missile (Model)

Reviews
General Frank
The health/mana bars are way too high up above the model. That is probably caused by recalculating the extents.
Level 9
Oh I like this. The texture is cool, and the changes are definitely there (it's not vastly different, but sufficiently different for my tastes). Did you draw the texture yourself?
The texture is completely of my own making, i would make greater adjustments but i am currently only capable of adjusting already existing points in a mesh, thank you <3

Creative piece of work. I like how you combined blood elf and night elf textures into one.
I actually haven't! It's just the spellbreaker texture painted over by me

That's definitely a fresh skin and creativity is there. I wish you keep diggin' so we will see cool models from you 🙂
By the way, you can work with the wrapping a bit to make the eye on the shield look uncut and more round just like in your skin layout. I also suggest changing the length of the 3rd segment of the particle effect to 0.1 so that your particles start fading out smoothly instead of disappearing instantly 👍
DESB.gif

Level 9
That's definitely a fresh skin and creativity is there. I wish you keep diggin' so we will see cool models from you 🙂
By the way, you can work with the wrapping a bit to make the eye on the shield look uncut and more round just like in your skin layout. I also suggest changing the length of the 3rd segment of the particle effect to 0.1 so that your particles start fading out smoothly instead of disappearing instantly 👍
I think i like the effect the way it is currently, feels "dynamic" if that makes sense, wrapping is still black magic to me 😭, in the meantime if you post the edit you made i will include it and credit you, btw huge fan of your work! 💙

I think i like the effect the way it is currently, feels "dynamic" if that makes sense, wrapping is still black magic to me 😭, in the meantime if you post the edit you made i will include it and credit you, btw huge fan of your work! 💙
I appreciate it! 💛

Well, instant dissapearing looks kinda rough in game, and native SD models are usually shackled by the rule of fading visual effects, but it's up to your taste of course. I also noticed this because your skin fits in quite well with the original visual component of the game, in terms of details, so it's just an opportunity to make the model even more consistent with the graphical whole.

Are you using Retera Model Studio?

Level 9
nice a dark elf race coming? hrm maybe?
oof a whole race is a biiiig project, in case you missed it though the old Heart of Storms project had a bunch of quality dark elf models and they're available to download in this thread

I appreciate it! 💛

Well, instant dissapearing looks kinda rough in game, and native SD models are usually shackled by the rule of fading visual effects, but it's up to your taste of course. I also noticed this because your skin fits in quite well with the original visual component of the game, in terms of details, so it's just an opportunity to make the model even more consistent with the graphical whole.

Are you using Retera Model Studio?
I primarily use Magos' warcraft 3 model editor, i've played around with oinkerwrinkle's tools before when i attempted at texturing using in-game textures but it wasn't very sucessful, i will make the fading adjustment tomorrow and update the model

oof a whole race is a biiiig project, in case you missed it though the old Heart of Storms project had a bunch of quality dark elf models and they're available to download in this thread

I primarily use Magos' warcraft 3 model editor, i've played around with oinkerwrinkle's tools before when i attempted at texturing using in-game textures but it wasn't very sucessful, i will make the fading adjustment tomorrow and update the model
I see. Maybe you will try it someday, it's quite intuitive and has a handy in-built wrapping tool that may reveal the darkness and bring you to the next level of modeling, as Magos' and Retera's perfectly complement each other 👍
View attachment Wrapping1.gif
You just check the geosets you want to re-wrap, load your texture and then just drag some vertices. Sounds easy, right? 🙂 Ah, I start to sound insistent and obsessive, sorry about that, I just need to place my energy somewhere while I have no time for modeling 😅

Level 9
I see. Maybe you will try it someday, it's quite intuitive and has a handy in-built wrapping tool that may reveal the darkness and bring you to the next level of modeling, as Magos' and Retera's perfectly complement each other 👍
thank you for all the help and lovely words of encouragement, i will definitely study it in free time <3

The Sanity tester still found a bunch of problems? That's so crazy to me; I thought that was one of the points of people using Ujimasa's "optimized" models as a base... 🤔
Do you think Ujimasa's model are free of issues?
The are just merges of the main model and the portrait. There is no real optimization, they are just called that.
But I guess you have to do a little bit of work to find that out.

Level 9
A very neat edit, but there are still some issues you need to take care of.
Please fix the following issues:
  • You need an in-game screenshot
  • The model is not optimized well and has a lot of unnecessary animation tracks and other small issues. You can see the issues here: Sanity Test
The lack of optimization was present in Ujimasa Hojo's Spell Breaker but i have recalculated the extents and it got rid of the warnings though getting rid of the unused tracks is outside of my skillset currently for which i apologize, i have also included a screenshot and extended the particle life span a bit

The lack of optimization was present in Ujimasa Hojo's Spell Breaker but i have recalculated the extents and it got rid of the warnings though getting rid of the unused tracks is outside of my skillset currently for which i apologize, i have also included a screenshot and extended the particle life span a bit
Take your time optimizing it then and maybe you learn some skills.

Level 9
Sorry i changed the status back to pending by switching out the model so i can check it in the sanity test, is there any way to do it without doing that?

EDIT: i managed to fix all the issues from the sanity test, i also managed to round off the eye on the shield a bit, im glad i took a crack at this today after all since it turns out to be quite easy and doable

Last edited:

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
Do you think Ujimasa's model are free of issues?
The are just merges of the main model and the portrait. There is no real optimization, they are just called that.
But I guess you have to do a little bit of work to find that out.
I did (at least, most issues); I don't read the description on every one at this point, but I could've sworn they describe his work of optimizing them as well as fixing various bugs & combining portrait models. It appears I was mistaken. 🤷‍♂️

Sorry i changed the status back to pending by switching out the model so i can check it in the sanity test, is there any way to do it without doing that?

EDIT: i managed to fix all the issues from the sanity test, i also managed to round off the eye on the shield a bit, im glad i took a crack at this today after all since it turns out to be quite easy and doable
Glad to see you're trying to dive deeper and learn the optimization part, that's an important thing too! By the way, when you are using team-colored texture in your geoset its alpha channel (transparent parts) become team-colored. This what happened to the shield when you dragged the vertices outside the gold edge of the shield: there you can see a TC stripe (on the left).
1.png
Oh, and maybe I misunderstood something but just in case here's a link for the sanity checker, so you don't have to make any switches. The link can also be found in every bundle. Drag models and textures in and use F5 to clear the list. Use the sanity check before you post your stuff any time 👍

Level 9
Glad to see you're trying to dive deeper and learn the optimization part, that's an important thing too! By the way, when you are using team-colored texture in your geoset its alpha channel (transparent parts) become team-colored. This what happened to the shield when you dragged the vertices outside the gold edge of the shield: there you can see a TC stripe (on the left).
Oh, and maybe I misunderstood something but just in case here's a link for the sanity checker, so you don't have to make any switches. The link can also be found in every bundle. Drag models and textures in and use F5 to clear the list. Use the sanity check before you post your stuff any time 👍
omg thank you for the sanity checker tip that will be a huge help, as for the line of TC that's actually present there in the original model but i will attempt at fixing it :D

Level 9
Thanks for sharing your work, texture is very well made, it does not look like an undead elf.👍
you shouldn't use the model in its current state, its broken, however if you wish to you can use the texture for unmodified spellbreaker by renaming the texture file or by swapping out the appropriate texture in magos model editor and saving it as a separate model
i plan to eventually come back to this but i currently do not have the time