1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. The 15th Mini-Mapping Contest came to an end. The Secrets of Warcraft 3 are soon to be revealed! Come and vote in the public poll for your favorite maps.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The 12th incarnation of the Music Contest is LIVE! The theme is Synthwave. Knight Rider needs a song to listen to on his journey. You should definitely have some fun with this theme!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Join other hivers in a friendly concept-art contest. The contestants have to create a genie coming out of its container. We wish you the best of luck!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Damage Type ?

Discussion in 'World Editor Help Zone' started by JFA, Aug 25, 2010.

1. JFA

JFA

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    what's the meaning of these damage type "sonic, plant mind etc" ?

Edit: i meant damage types (sonic, universal, fire, enchanted ect) NOT attack types like the chaos,normal, magic, piercing, siege.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2010
  2. Pharaoh_

Pharaoh_

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Those types of damage are used in the default Warcraft III abilities. Supposedly, Cold damage type is used in abilities of type Frost Nova, Poison in Poison abilities, Lightning in Chain Lightning-type or Lightning Shield-type abilities, Plant in Entagling Roots ability, Defensive as a detector of Defend ability (which will block incoming damage, by restoring damage of type Defensive), and so on.

Unfortunately, they don't have any fancy effect for our custom uses. They might however have some certain differences in damage values, but the differences are minor. They generally have no actual purpose, to be completely honest.

3. JFA

JFA

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Uhm ok now look

• Unit - Cause (Casting unit) to damage (Target unit of ability being cast), dealing ((80.00 x (Real((Level of Crush for (Casting unit))))) +
    • (60.00 x (Real((Number of units in (Units within 450.00 of (Position of (Casting unit)) matching ((((Matching unit) belongs to an enemy of (Owner of (Casting unit))) Equal to True) and ((((Matching uni damage of attack type Spells and damage type Normal

damage type Normal
    if i will change this damage type with anything (example damage type is sonic) this may affect the damage ? by the way thank you for your interest :)

4. Pharaoh_

Pharaoh_

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Well, it can, supposedly. I am not sure about pratical terms. I believe there is no actual difference, but I might be wrong. The only thing I am sure of, is that they are used as damage types of the default Warcraft III abilities.

5. JFA

JFA

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Ok man thanks for your help :)

6. defskull

defskull

Resources:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    From my OWN experience:
    Chaos damage is a damage that deals FULL damage to the target, ignoring armor of the targeted unit.

Spell damage is a damage that can be varied.
    Heroes: Deal 75% of the spell damage (because ALL heroes have starting of 25% magic reduction but this % can be increased using ANOTHER spell that adds up the rate of magic reduction).
    Normal Unit: Deal 100% of the spell damage.

Normal damage is, well... a NORMAL damage, I guess (a damage that takes armor damage reduction into account)

And a bunch of additional damage-type which is Pierce, Siege, Magic and Heroes

7. Ramza

Ramza

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Defskull, those are attack types. JFA is talking about damage types. x)

I think there are some differences between damage types, but, like Pharaoh said, they are minimal.

8. defskull

defskull

Resources:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Attack and Damage, are those two things, well... RELATED ?
    A unit ATTACK another unit, dealing DAMAGE

9. Ramza

Ramza

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Of course, but you can see for yourself what he's talking about. Go to your trigger editor, and choose the ''Unit - Damage Target'' function.

You'll see Attack Types (Normal, Spell, Chaos) and Damage Types (Fire, Cold, Mind, Sonic).

10. defskull

defskull

Resources:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Thanks for pointing that out Ali-Great, LoL (whatever his name is!)

11. Ramza

Ramza

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Psh, Ali G stands for Alistair Leslie Graham. :)

12. JFA

JFA

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    lol really anyone don't know anything about this damage types ? for a long time i'm looking for those things but still i can't find anything.

oh by the way defskull are you sure about chaos damage ? i don't think so. Enemy armor must be affect to damage.

13. defskull

defskull

Resources:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    If you ever doubt it, I'll show you a screenshot ^^
    [​IMG]
    It shows it

Attached Files:

14. Astrella

Astrella

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Chaos Attacks just ignore the damage reduction you get from the Armour Type, for example it won't deal less damage to buildings than to normal units.

However, the amount of armour you have still reduces the amount of damage you get from Chaos Attacks.

15. ap0calypse

ap0calypse

Resources:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Dude, seriously? Read the thread before replying!

Either way, the only two useful damage types I know are universal and normal.
    Universal ignores damage reduction (if you trigger 100 universal damage against a unit with 1000 armor, it'll still deal 100 damage).
    Normal uses the standard damage reduction (if you trigger 100 normal damage against a 1k-armored unit, it will deal significantly less damage).

So attack type changes with the armor types (first calculations)
    Damage type has to do with the damage reduction (second calculations).
    This means that the attack-armor type will be calculated first and afterwards the damage reduction.

In general: chaos - universal = 100% damage, always (if you didn't edit the chaos/armor table).

Edit: I will now check other damage types to find some 'interesting' ones.
    Edit 2: Unfortunately, all damage types ignore the damage reduction (meaning they always deal 100% damage, when we don't look at the attack-armor types) apart from normal. I couldn't find any other differences either (maybe it is to know the cause of death? Who knows...).

16. Astrella

Astrella

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Maybe you should read the thread, since I clearly replied to a question the OP asked.

17. ap0calypse

ap0calypse

Resources:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I read that, but it had actually already been answered (see screenshot before your post).

18. Astrella

Astrella

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Well, just wanted to clarify it a bit more.

19. Tirlititi

Tirlititi

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    The screenshot wasn't a good answer... defskull said that chaos damages are not reduced by a unit's defence and sirroelivan said that it's false (and sirroelivan is right).

In addition of what Ap0calypse said, the "ConvertAttackType(7)" deals 522 x damages (where I heard this figure before?) and weapons type, which are not in GUI, adds a battle sound. Maybe Blizzard wanted to display weapons type in GUI and made a mystake? ^^

20. ap0calypse

ap0calypse

Resources:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Then I misunderstood the post(s) and apologize.

ConvertAttackType is used for chaos/siege/... - wouldn't the damage percentage be different for other armor types then?
    Or did you mean ConvertDamageType(7)? (I never tested those, all I know is that those damage type numbers are in a weird, seemingly random, order).