• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Trigger] Damage event repeat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
Hello everyone, I downloaded and copied Bribe's Damage Engine 3.8 because I used 1.29 and my trigger seems to be buggy b/c somehow damage event is repeating for no reason.
  • Deadly Strike Lvl
    • Events
      • Game - DamageEvent becomes Equal to 1.00
    • Conditions
      • (DamageEventTarget is A ground unit) Equal to True
      • (Level of Deadly Strike (Death Blade) for DamageEventSource) Greater than 0
      • Or - Any (Conditions) are true
        • Conditions
          • (Unit-type of DamageEventSource) Equal to Death Blade (Melee)
          • (Unit-type of DamageEventSource) Equal to Death Blade (Range)
          • (Unit-type of DamageEventSource) Equal to Death Blade (AI) (Melee)
          • (Unit-type of DamageEventSource) Equal to Death Blade (AI) (Range)
    • Actions
      • If (All Conditions are True) then do (Then Actions) else do (Else Actions)
        • If - Conditions
          • (Level of Deadly Strike (Death Blade) for DamageEventSource) Equal to 1
        • Then - Actions
          • Unit - Cause DamageEventSource to damage DamageEventTarget, dealing ((Life of DamageEventTarget) x 0.05) damage of attack type Chaos and damage type Normal
        • Else - Actions
            • If - Conditions
              • (Level of Deadly Strike (Death Blade) for DamageEventSource) Equal to 2
            • Then - Actions
              • Unit - Cause DamageEventSource to damage DamageEventTarget, dealing ((Life of DamageEventTarget) x 0.10) damage of attack type Chaos and damage type Normal
            • Else - Actions
                • If - Conditions
                  • (Level of Deadly Strike (Death Blade) for DamageEventSource) Equal to 3
                • Then - Actions
                  • Unit - Cause DamageEventSource to damage DamageEventTarget, dealing ((Life of DamageEventTarget) x 0.14) damage of attack type Chaos and damage type Normal
                • Else - Actions
                    • If - Conditions
                      • (Level of Deadly Strike (Death Blade) for DamageEventSource) Equal to 4
                    • Then - Actions
                      • Unit - Cause DamageEventSource to damage DamageEventTarget, dealing ((Life of DamageEventTarget) x 0.20) damage of attack type Chaos and damage type Normal
                    • Else - Actions
                        • If - Conditions
                          • (Level of Deadly Strike (Death Blade) for DamageEventSource) Equal to 5
                        • Then - Actions
                          • Unit - Cause DamageEventSource to damage DamageEventTarget, dealing ((Life of DamageEventTarget) x 0.22) damage of attack type Chaos and damage type Normal
                        • Else - Actions
      • Game - Display to (All players) the text: ((Name of DamageEventSource) + ( has dealt + ((String(DamageEventAmount)) + ( to + (Name of DamageEventTarget)))))
That message there shows me how much damage unit received

Level 6
It repeats because the damage you deal in the trigger is not filtered for the Event, thus it result in repeats.
Change the damage type of the triggered damage and filter it with conditions.
Why so I have to change damage type and how do I filter it with conditions? I mean, what condition?

Level 24
Well it depends on a number of things but generally, spells do spell damage, while basic attacks do "physical" damage.
So when triggered damage comes into play making it deal spell damage allows you to have the conditions of the trigger ignore spell damage to avoid repeating effects.

ex. This trigger will cause any non-spell damage to deal an additional +50 spell damage:
  • Example Damage
    • Events
    • Conditions
      • IsDamageSpell Equal to False
    • Actions
      • Unit - Cause DamageEventSource to damage DamageEventTarget, dealing 50.00 damage of attack type Spells and damage type Universal
or
ex. This trigger will ignore piercing normal attacks while enhancing all others with bonus 50 piercing damage.
  • Untitled Trigger 003
    • Events
      • Game - DamageModifierEvent becomes Equal to 1.00
    • Conditions
      • DamageEventAttackT Not equal to ATTACK_TYPE_PIERCING
      • DamageEventDamageT Not equal to DAMAGE_TYPE_NORMAL
    • Actions
      • Unit - Cause DamageEventSource to damage DamageEventTarget, dealing 50.00 damage of attack type Piercing and damage type Normal

Last edited:
Level 6
Well it depends on a number of things but generally, spells do spell damage, while basic attacks do "physical" damage.
So when triggered damage comes into play making it deal spell damage allows you to have the conditions of the trigger ignore spell damage to avoid repeating effects.

ex. This trigger will cause any non-spell damage to deal an additional +50 spell damage:
  • Example Damage
    • Events
    • Conditions
      • IsDamageSpell Equal to False
    • Actions
      • Unit - Cause DamageEventSource to damage DamageEventTarget, dealing 50.00 damage of attack type Spells and damage type Universal
Doesn't that mean it can be reduced by spell damage reduction? Is there a way around to deal pure damage and many other types of damage?

Level 24
Yep, Using the damage type universal will ignore armor, though everything save for chaos attack type will still be reduced by armor type.

Also there is the variable DamageEventArmorPierced, just set it to match the damagetarget's armor and it will ignore the armor.

Last edited:
Level 6
Yep, Using the damage type universal will ignore armor, though spell attack type will still be reduced by runed bracers & hero armor.

Also there is the variable DamageEventArmorPierced, just set it to match the damagetarget's armor and it will ignore the armor.
I found no variable like that in damage engine. Perhaps it's too old?

Uncle

Warcraft Moderator
Level 63
Pretty sure on that older version you have to do something else to avoid recursion. @Bribe

Bribe's Damage Engine Help

^Maybe reference the trigger in this thread.

And that Lua version requires your map's programming language to be set to Lua (default is Jass) which is only available in 1.31+. You can only use Lua OR Jass, so I don't think you want to mess around with this.

Last edited:
Level 6
It has proven to work, and I have 2 units to test the MUI thing. The difference between time is quite large. I cannot make it shorter

Level 6
Then I guess the solution for the problem is putting "Turn off Trigger (This trigger)" on the top of the actions and turn on trigger at the end of the trigger.
But wait, what if we use wait function then?

Bribe

Code Moderator
Level 50
In your case I would advise using Damage Engine 3A (found in the pastebin you linked to) because you wouldn't have to add these fugly wrappers around your damage with that. 3A automatically eliminates recursion while being compatible with 1.29.

Hello everyone, I downloaded and copied Bribe's Damage Engine 3.8 because I used 1.29 and my trigger seems to be buggy b/c somehow damage event is repeating for no reason.
  • Deadly Strike Lvl
    • Events
    • Conditions
      • (DamageEventTarget is A ground unit) Equal to True
        • Conditions
          • (Unit-type of DamageEventSource) Equal to Death Blade (Range)
          • (Unit-type of DamageEventSource) Equal to Death Blade (AI) (Range)
    • Actions
        • If - Conditions
        • Then - Actions
          • Unit - Cause DamageEventSource to damage DamageEventTarget, dealing ((Life of DamageEventTarget) x 0.05) damage of attack type Chaos and damage type Normal
        • Else - Actions
            • If - Conditions
            • Then - Actions
              • Unit - Cause DamageEventSource to damage DamageEventTarget, dealing ((Life of DamageEventTarget) x 0.10) damage of attack type Chaos and damage type Normal
            • Else - Actions
                • If - Conditions
                • Then - Actions
                  • Unit - Cause DamageEventSource to damage DamageEventTarget, dealing ((Life of DamageEventTarget) x 0.14) damage of attack type Chaos and damage type Normal
                • Else - Actions
                    • If - Conditions
                    • Then - Actions
                      • Unit - Cause DamageEventSource to damage DamageEventTarget, dealing ((Life of DamageEventTarget) x 0.20) damage of attack type Chaos and damage type Normal
                    • Else - Actions
                        • If - Conditions
                        • Then - Actions
                          • Unit - Cause DamageEventSource to damage DamageEventTarget, dealing ((Life of DamageEventTarget) x 0.22) damage of attack type Chaos and damage type Normal
                        • Else - Actions
      • Game - Display to (All players) the text: ((Name of DamageEventSource) + ( has dealt + ((String(DamageEventAmount)) + ( to + (Name of DamageEventTarget)))))
That message there shows me how much damage unit received

Level 6
WeX with JassHelper enabled works too.
It did not work, I got errors with library.
Edit: Not sure if my JassHelper is enabled or not, because I'm seeing a tick next to Enable JassHelper in Compiler in WEX but I did not see the JassHelper saving windows. I saw that with JNGP instead. Perhaps I should report this to @MindWorX

Last edited:

Bribe

Code Moderator
Level 50
It did not work, I got errors with library.
Edit: Not sure if my JassHelper is enabled or not, because I'm seeing a tick next to Enable JassHelper in Compiler in WEX but I did not see the JassHelper saving windows. I saw that with JNGP instead. Perhaps I should report this to @MindWorX
Just tick it and then restart the editor. If it still doesn't work then reinstall it.

Level 6
Just tick it and then restart the editor. If it still doesn't work then reinstall it.

Found the problem.
I used PTR and WEX is not developing toward PTR so I have to use a different version
Edit: I imported your damage engine 3A in but somehow got internal error with LUA traspiler. And I also changed to my editor to 1.31

Last edited:
Level 6
*bump
Hello,
I had this trigger and something caused it to work improperly
I'm currently using Bribe's Damage Engine 3A
  • Deadly Strike Lvl
    • Events
    • Conditions
      • (DamageEventTarget is Mechanical) Equal to False
        • Conditions
    • Actions
        • If - Conditions
        • Then - Actions
          • Game - Display to (All players) the text: Damaged
        • Else - Actions
        • If - Conditions
        • Then - Actions
        • Else - Actions
        • If - Conditions
        • Then - Actions
        • Else - Actions
            • If - Conditions
            • Then - Actions
            • Else - Actions
        • If - Conditions
        • Then - Actions
        • Else - Actions
The message showed up twice when the hit landed.
The health bar of the target remains at a percent of their total health.
I tried adding wait command but that doesn't seem to work well

Last edited:

Bribe

Code Moderator
Level 50
*bump
Hello,
I had this trigger and something caused it to work improperly
I'm currently using Bribe's Damage Engine 3A
  • Deadly Strike Lvl
    • Events
    • Conditions
      • (DamageEventTarget is Mechanical) Equal to False
        • Conditions
    • Actions
        • If - Conditions
        • Then - Actions
          • Game - Display to (All players) the text: Damaged
        • Else - Actions
        • If - Conditions
        • Then - Actions
        • Else - Actions
        • If - Conditions
        • Then - Actions
        • Else - Actions
            • If - Conditions
            • Then - Actions
            • Else - Actions
        • If - Conditions
        • Then - Actions
        • Else - Actions
The message showed up twice when the hit landed.
The health bar of the target remains at a percent of their total health.
I tried adding wait command but that doesn't seem to work well
Set NextDamageType to a non-zero value at the top of your actions, then in the Conditions check if DamageEventType is Equal to 0

Level 6
ah, I see. Thank you
Edit:
Dealing damage from a damage trigger (“let’s call it trigger “A”) needs to make sure that the damage does not re-trigger “A” again - or at least make sure that “A”’s conditions do not allow the triggered damage to re-trigger “A”.
So now I want to detect AOE instead, like multishot, but I notice it didn't work when I put condition "DamageEventType Equal 1" or "DamageEventAOE Equal 1", it only works the range unit who has multishot has to get close to the target being shot at
Edit 2:
New problem
The trigger repeats itself on second hit when the DamageEventSource attacks
It also repeats the same first problem
  • Deadly Strike Lvl
    • Events
    • Conditions
      • DamageEventType Equal to 0
        • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Set NextDamageType = 1
        • If - Conditions
        • Then - Actions
          • Unit - Cause DamageEventSource to damage DamageEventTarget, dealing ((Life of DamageEventTarget) x 0.05) damage of attack type Hero and damage type Normal
          • Unit - Set life of DamageEventSource to ((Life of DamageEventSource) + (DamageEventAmount x 0.10))
        • Else - Actions
        • If - Conditions
        • Then - Actions
          • Unit - Cause DamageEventSource to damage DamageEventTarget, dealing ((Life of DamageEventTarget) x 0.07) damage of attack type Hero and damage type Normal
          • Unit - Set life of DamageEventSource to ((Life of DamageEventSource) + (DamageEventAmount x 0.30))
        • Else - Actions
        • If - Conditions
        • Then - Actions
          • Unit - Cause DamageEventSource to damage DamageEventTarget, dealing ((Life of DamageEventTarget) x 0.10) damage of attack type Hero and damage type Normal
          • Unit - Set life of DamageEventSource to ((Life of DamageEventSource) + (DamageEventAmount x 0.50))
        • Else - Actions
        • If - Conditions
        • Then - Actions
          • Unit - Cause DamageEventSource to damage DamageEventTarget, dealing ((Life of DamageEventTarget) x 0.14) damage of attack type Hero and damage type Normal
          • Unit - Set life of DamageEventSource to ((Life of DamageEventSource) + (DamageEventAmount x 0.70))
        • Else - Actions
        • If - Conditions
        • Then - Actions
          • Unit - Cause DamageEventSource to damage DamageEventTarget, dealing ((Life of DamageEventTarget) x 0.20) damage of attack type Hero and damage type Normal
          • Unit - Set life of DamageEventSource to ((Life of DamageEventSource) + (DamageEventAmount x 0.90))
        • Else - Actions
The Set Life is for lifesteal

Last edited:

Bribe

Code Moderator
Level 50
In essence, you need to set NextDamageType EACH time you use UnitDamageTarget, so setting it once at the top of the trigger only works if you have just one damage that can occur.

Therefore, just copy the NextDamageType line and then put it before each UnitDamageTarget.

Additionally, the AOE thing doesn’t detect AOE damage. It detects if more than one unit was hit (and only after the first unit was hit by it). It is not really all that useful.

Level 6
I did as you said but the problem remained
Also, is it possible to detect coded damage since I am using Damage Engine 3A for lifesteal?
  • Deadly Strike Lvl
    • Events
    • Conditions
      • DamageEventType Equal to 0
        • Conditions
    • Actions
        • If - Conditions
        • Then - Actions
          • Set NextDamageType = 1
          • Unit - Cause DamageEventSource to damage DamageEventTarget, dealing ((Life of DamageEventTarget) x 0.05) damage of attack type Hero and damage type Normal
          • Unit - Set life of DamageEventSource to ((Life of DamageEventSource) + (DamageEventAmount x 0.10))
        • Else - Actions
        • If - Conditions
        • Then - Actions
          • Set NextDamageType = 1
          • Unit - Cause DamageEventSource to damage DamageEventTarget, dealing ((Life of DamageEventTarget) x 0.07) damage of attack type Hero and damage type Normal
          • Unit - Set life of DamageEventSource to ((Life of DamageEventSource) + (DamageEventAmount x 0.30))
        • Else - Actions
        • If - Conditions
        • Then - Actions
          • Set NextDamageType = 1
          • Unit - Cause DamageEventSource to damage DamageEventTarget, dealing ((Life of DamageEventTarget) x 0.10) damage of attack type Hero and damage type Normal
          • Unit - Set life of DamageEventSource to ((Life of DamageEventSource) + (DamageEventAmount x 0.50))
        • Else - Actions
        • If - Conditions
        • Then - Actions
          • Set NextDamageType = 1
          • Unit - Cause DamageEventSource to damage DamageEventTarget, dealing ((Life of DamageEventTarget) x 0.14) damage of attack type Hero and damage type Normal
          • Unit - Set life of DamageEventSource to ((Life of DamageEventSource) + (DamageEventAmount x 0.70))
        • Else - Actions
        • If - Conditions
        • Then - Actions
          • Set NextDamageType = 1
          • Unit - Cause DamageEventSource to damage DamageEventTarget, dealing ((Life of DamageEventTarget) x 0.20) damage of attack type Hero and damage type Normal
          • Unit - Set life of DamageEventSource to ((Life of DamageEventSource) + (DamageEventAmount x 0.90))
        • Else - Actions

About AOE, I noticed that it only works for close attack units, but for range, they did not detect any
Quite a shame AOE is hard to make. Either way, thank you

Level 6
I notice that the trigger repeats on second hit of DamageEventSource but that's because the hero was at lvl 5. At lvl 25, the DamageEventTarget health is set to a certain amount of health throughout other hits. I do not entire understand why this is the case

Status
Not open for further replies.