• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Daily Wisdom

Status
Not open for further replies.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
“What good would it do me if truth stood before me, cold and naked, not caring whether I recognized her or not?”
----
“What Christendom needs at every moment is someone who expresses Christianity uncalculatingly or with absolute recklessness.”
----
“Although I am still far from this kind of interior understanding of myself, with profound respect for its significance I have sought to preserve my individuality―worshipped the unknown God. With a premature anxiety I have tried to avoid coming in close contact with those things whose force of attraction might be too powerful for me. I have sought to appropriate much from them, studied their distinctive characteristics and meaning in human life, but at the same time guarded against coming, like the moth, too close to the flame. I have had little to win or to lose in association with the ordinary run of men, partly because what they do―so-called practical life―does not interest me much, partly because their coldness and indifference to the spiritual and deeper currents in man alienate me even more from them. With few exceptions my companions have had no special influence upon me. A life that has not arrived at clarity about itself must necessarily exhibit an uneven side-surface; confronted by certain facts [*Facta*] and their apparent disharmony, they simply halted there, for, as I see it, they did not have sufficient interest to seek a resolution in a higher harmony or to recognize the necessity of it. Their opinion of me was always one-sided, and I have vacillated between putting too much or too little weight on what they said. I have now withdrawn from their influence and the potential variations of my life's compass resulting from it. Thus I am again standing at the point where I must begin again in another way. I shall now calmly attempt to look at myself and begin to initiate inner action; for only thus will I be able, like a child calling itself "I" in its first consciously undertaken act, be able to call myself "I" in a profounder sense.

But that takes stamina, and it is not possible to harvest immediately what one has sown. I will remember that philosopher's method of having his disciples keep silent for three years; then I dare say it will come. Just as one does not begin a feast at sunrise but at sundown, just so in the spiritual world one must first work forward for some time before the sun really shines for us and rises in all its glory; for although it is true as it says that God lets his sun shine upon the good and the evil and lets the rain fall on the just and the unjust, it is not so in the spiritual world. So let the die be cast―I am crossing the Rubicon! No doubt this road takes me into battle, but I will not renounce it. I will not lament the past―why lament? I will work energetically and not waste time in regrets, like the person stuck in a bog and first calculating how far he has sunk without recognizing that during the time he spends on that he is sinking still deeper. I will hurry along the path I have found and shout to everyone I meet: Do not look back as Lot's wife did, but remember that we are struggling up a hill."
----
“Thus when the ambitious man, whose slogan was "Either Caesar or nothing", does not become Caesar, he is in despair over it. But this signifies something else, namely, that precisely because he did not become Caesar he now cannot bear to be himself. Consequently he is not in despair over the fact that he did not become Caesar, but he is in despair over himself for the fact that he did not become Caesar.”
----
“Yet in another and still more definite sense despair is the sickness unto death. It is indeed very far from being true that, literally understood, one dies of this sickness, or that this sickness ends with bodily death. On the contrary, the torment of despair is precisely this, not to be able to die So it has much in common with the situation of the moribund when he lies and struggles with death, and cannot die. So to be sick unto death is, not to be able to die -- yet not as though there were hope of life; no the hopelessness in this case is that even the last hope, death, is not available. When death is the greatest danger, one hopes for life; but when one becomes acquainted with an even more dreadful danger, one hopes for death. So when the danger is so great that death has become one’s hope, despair is the disconsolateness of not being able to die.”

~Søren Aabye Kierkegaard.

Level 22
''Your reputation is harmed the most by what you say to defend it'' - Nassim Nicholas Taleb

''We find comfort among those who agree with us – growth among those who don’t'' - Frank A. Clark

''Pay attention to your enemies, for they are the first to discover your mistakes'' - Antisthenes

''If someone isn’t happy for you, it has nothing to do with you. Don’t let them get you down, because they probably aren’t happy for themselves either'' - Mel Robbins

''A happy person is not a person in a certain set of circumstances, but rather a person with a certain set of attitudes'' - Hugh Downs

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
“In every generation that man is a rarity who exercises such a power over himself that he can will what is not pleasant to him, that he can hold fast that truth which does not please him, hold that it is the truth although it does not please him, hold that it is the truth precisely because it does not please him, and then nevertheless, in spite of the fact that it does not please him, can commit himself to it."
----
“Just as the weak, despairing person is unwilling to hear anything about any consolation eternity has for him, so a person in such despair does not want to hear anything about it, either, but for a different reason: this very consolation would be his undoing; as a denunciation of all existence. Figuratively speaking, it is as if an error slipped into an author's writing and the error became conscious of itself as an error; perhaps it actually was not a mistake but in a much higher sense an essential part of the whole production, and now this error wants to mutiny against the author, out of hatred toward him, forbidding him to correct it and in maniacal defiance saying to him: No! I refuse to be erased! I will stand as a witness against you; a witness that you are a second-rate author.”
----
“In the old days they said, “What a pity things don’t go on in the world as the parson preaches” — perhaps the time is coming, especially with the help of philosophy, when they will say, “Fortunately things don’t go on as the parson preaches;”
----
“The call to find the way again by seeking out God in the confession of sins is always at the eleventh hour. Whether you are young or old, whether you have sinned much or little, whether you have offended much or neglected much, the guilt makes this call come at the eleventh hour. The inner agitation of the heart understands what remorse insists upon, that the eleventh hour has come. For in the sense of time, the old man’s age is the eleventh hour; and the instant of death, the final moment in the eleventh hour.”
----
“A person who speaks like a book is exceedingly boring to listen to; sometimes, however, it is not inappropriate to talk in that way. For a book has the remarkable property that it can be interpreted any way you wish. If one talks like a book one’s conversation acquires this property too. I kept quite soberly to the usual formulas. She was surprised, as I’d expected; that can’t be denied. To describe to myself how she looked is difficult. She seemed multifaceted; yes just about like the still to be published but announced commentary to my book, a commentary capable of any interpretation. One word and she would have laughed at me; another and she would have been moved; still another and she would have shunned me; but no such word came to my lips. I remained solemnly unemotional and kept to the ritual.― ‘She had known me for such a short time’, dear God, it’s only on the strait path of engagement one meets such difficulties, not the primrose path of love.”
----
“Numbers are the most dangerous of all illusions”
----
“Just as in earthly life lovers long for the moment when they are able to breath forth their love for each other, to let their souls blend in a soft whisper, so the mystic longs for the moment when in prayer he can, as it were, creep into God”
----
“I feel as a chessman must when the opponent says of it: that piece cannot be moved.”

Level 3
b4645536ac1aa70ad0102de274241bf8.jpg

Reactions: pyf

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
“I sat and smoked my cigar until I lapsed into thought. “You are going on,” I said to myself, “to become an old man, without being anything and without really undertaking to do anything. Wherever you look about you . . . you see the many benefactors of the age who know how to benefit mankind by making life easier and easier, some by railways, others by omnibuses and steamboats, others by the telegraph, others by easily apprehended compendiums and short recitals of everything worth knowing, and finally the true benefactors of the age who make spiritual existence in virtue of thought easier and easier, yet more and more significant. And what are you doing?” . . . suddenly this thought flashed through my mind: “You must do something, but inasmuch as with your limited capacities it will be impossible to make anything easier than it has become, you must undertake to make something harder.” This notion pleased me immensely. . . . I conceived it as my task to create difficulties everywhere.”
----
“The sorcerer Virgil had himself chopped in pieces and placed in a cauldron to be cooked for eight days, thus to become rejuvenated.10 He had someone watch out that no intruder peeped into the cauldron. The watchman was unable, however, to resist the temptation. It was too soon. Virgil disappeared with a cry, like a little child. I, too, have probably looked too early into the cauldron, into the cauldron of life and its historical development, and no doubt will never manage to be more than a child.
----
“What to me also seems most striking in this respect is how the great poetic geniuses (an Ossian, a Homer) are presented as blind. Naturally it doesn't matter to me whether they really were blind; the point is people have imagined them so, as if to indicate that what they saw when they sang of the beauty of nature appeared not to the external eye but to an inner intuition. How remarkable that one of the writers on bees - yes, the best of them - was blind from early youth; it's as if to show that here, where you would have thought external observation so important, he had found that point and from it was then able by purely mental activity to infer back to all particulars and reconstruct them in analogy with nature.”

Last edited:

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
“Why is love beyond all measure of other human possibilities so rich and such a sweet burden for the one who has been struck by it? Because we change ourselves into that which we love, and yet remain ourselves. Then we would like to thank the beloved, but find nothing that would do it adequately. We can only be thankful to ourselves. Love transforms gratitude into faithfulness to ourselves and into an unconditional faith in the Other. Thus love steadily expands its most intimate secret. Closeness here is existence in the greatest distance from the other- the distance that allows nothing to dissolve - but rather presents the “thou” in the transparent, but “incomprehensible” revelation of the “just there”. That the presence of the other breaks into our own life - this is what no feeling can fully encompass. Human fate gives itself to human fate, and it is the task of pure love to keep this self-surrender as vital as on the first day.”
~Martin Heidegger.

979bf9ad92c1be7289378e06d02b65d6.jpg

Level 22
''The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits'' - Albert Einstein

''Fries or salad?” sums up every adult decision you have to make'' - Aparna Nancherla

''Education is a progressive discovery of our own ignorance'' - Will Durant

''The human brain is special. It starts working as soon as you get up and it doesn’t stop until you get to school'' - Milton Berle

''School is learning things you don’t want to know, surrounded by people you wish you didn’t know, while working toward a future you don’t know will ever come'' - Dave Kellett

''Most people work just hard enough not to get fired and get paid just enough money not to quit'' - George Carlin

''Laziness is nothing more than the habit of resting before you get tired'' - Jules Renard

''The best way to appreciate your job is to imagine yourself without one'' - Oscar Wilde

''Wealth is not about having a lot of money; it’s about having a lot of options'' - Chris Rock

''Follow your passion. Stay true to yourself. Never follow someone else’s path unless you’re in the woods and you’re lost and you see a path. By all means, you should follow that'' - Ellen DeGeneres

Level 22
''In the middle of every difficulty lies opportunity'' - Albert Einstein

''Never regret anything that made you smile'' - Mark Twain

''Life is less about how old you are and more about when you decide to live'' - Thibaut

''If you don’t prioritize your life, someone else will'' - Greg McKeown

''Systematically remove things from your life to learn if they are actually important'' - Angela Jiang

''Simplicity doesn’t change who you are, it brings you back to who you are'' - Courtney Carver

Level 22
''We don't mature through age, we mature through awareness'' - Byron Katie

''You may not control all the events that happen to you, but you can decide not to be reduced by them'' - Maya Angelou

''Almost everything will work again if you unplug it for a few minutes, including you'' - Anne Lamont

''If you want to go fast, go alone. If you want to go far, go together'' - Shane Parrish

''The greatest thing in the world is to know how to be self-sufficient'' - Michel de Montaigne

''There are three constants in life: change, choice and principles'' - Stephen Corey

Level 22
"The unexamined life is not worth living" - Socrates

"The man of knowledge must be able not only to love his enemies but also to hate his friends" - Friedrich Nietzsche

"Don't waste your time with explanations: people only hear what they want to hear" - Paulo Coelho

"Learn to light a candle in the darkest moments of someone’s life. Be the light that helps others see; it is what gives life its deepest significance" - Roy T. Bennett

"He who knows all the answers has not been asked all the questions" - Confucius

"All knowledge hurts" - Cassandra Clare

Level 22
"If you are always getting ready for the next thing, how will you ever enjoy this thing?" - Courtney Carver

"Don’t judge each day by the harvest you reap but by the seeds that you plant" - Robert Louis Stevenson

"The greatest obstacle to living is expectancy, which hangs upon tomorrow and loses today… The whole future lies in uncertainty: live immediately" - Seneca

"Where you spend your attention is where you spend your life" - James Clear

"The perfected future never arrives. Life is full of seemingly endless trouble, and then life ends. Find peace in the imperfect present" - The Stoic Emperor

"A life lived according to the words of others is a life of imprisonment" - James Pierce

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
quote-the-possible-ranks-higher-than-the-actual-martin-heidegger-12-86-41.jpg

“Why are there beings at all instead of nothing? That is the question. Presumably it is not arbitrary question, "Why are there beings at all instead of nothing"- this is obviously the first of all questions. Of course it is not the first question in the chronological sense [...] And yet, we are each touched once, maybe even every now and then, by the concealed power of this question, without properly grasping what is happening to us. In great despair, for example, when all weight tends to dwindle away from things and the sense of things grows dark, the question looms.”
~Martin Heidegger.

quote-he-who-thinks-great-thoughts-often-makes-great-errors-martin-heidegger-47-60-85.jpg

Level 22
''Discipline is choosing between what you want now, and what you want most'' - Abraham Lincoln

''We don’t rise to the level of our expectations; we fall to the level of our training'' - Archilochus

''Day by day, what you choose, what you think and what you do is who you become'' - Heraclitus

''Excess in anything becomes a fault'' - Seneca

''Focus is free but distractions cost you everything'' - Thibaut

''Practice is the price you pay today to be better tomorrow'' - James Clear

Level 22
"Sometimes it takes sadness to know happiness, noise to appreciate silence and absence to value presence" - Author Unknown

"There are times when explanations, no matter how reasonable, just don’t seem to help" - Fred Rogers

"Fear is temporary. Regret is forever" - Author Unknown

"The ultimate power in life is to be completely self-reliant, completely yourself" - Robert Greene

"Don’t aim to be perfect. Aim to be anti-fragile" - Nassim Nicholas Taken

"Our anxiety does not empty tomorrow of its sorrows, but only empties today of its strengths" - Charles Spurgeon

Level 22
''The illiterate of the 21st century will not be those who cannot read and write, but those who cannot learn, unlearn, and relearn'' - Alvin Toffler

''You stop revisiting memories when you outgrow the people you made them with'' - Nikki Rowe

''Wild success requires aggressive elimination. You can’t be great at everything'' - James Clear

''Do not lower your goals to the level of your abilities. Instead, raise your abilities to the height of your goals'' - Swami Vivekananda

''The irony of life is realizing that a lifetime is barely long enough to figure out how it should have been lived'' - Thibaut

''When things change inside you, things change around you'' - Author Unknown

Level 22
''The fact is, discipline is only punishment when imposed on you by someone else. When you discipline yourself, it’s not punishment but empowerment'' - Les Brown

''Whatever can happen at any time can happen today'' - Seneca

''Strength is laughing at your mistakes. Weakness is letting them own you'' - Alex Sauer

''If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it'' - Cicero

''It’s impossible to improve yourself when you see yourself as a victim in every situation'' - Bill Masur

''Good things take time. Bad things don’t'' - Angela Jiang

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
''Good things take time. Bad things don’t''
Actually, bad things take most time. Now, it's subjective, of course. Alcohol is not bad for an alcoholic.

“When the farthest corner of the globe has been conquered technologically and can be exploited economically; when any incident you like, in any place you like, at any time you like, becomes accessible as fast as you like; when you can simultaneously "experience" an assassination attempt against a king in France and a symphony concert in Tokyo; when time is nothing but speed, instantaneity, and simultaneity, and time as history has vanished from all Being of all peoples; when a boxer counts as the great man of a people; when the tallies of millions at mass meetings are a triumph; then, yes then, there still looms like a specter over all this uproar the question: what for? — where to? — and what then?”
----
“only he who already understands can listen”

~Martin Heidegger.

quote-the-human-being-is-not-the-lord-of-beings-but-the-shepherd-of-being-martin-heidegger-58-85-43.jpg
quote-what-seems-natural-to-us-is-probably-just-something-familiar-in-a-long-tradition-that-martin-heidegger-50-57-03.jpg

Level 22
"Before you marry a person, you should first make them use a computer with slow Internet service to see who they really are" - Will Ferrell

"Say yes. You’ll figure it out afterward" - Tina Fey

"Life opens up opportunities to you, and you either take them or you stay afraid of taking them" - Jim Carrey

"Learn from the mistakes of others. You can never live long enough to make them all yourself" - Groucho Marx

"The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you’ve got it made" - Groucho Marx

"Everything is changing. People are taking the comedians seriously and the politicians as a joke" - Will Rogers

Level 22
"For the majority of us, the past is a regret, the future an experiment" - Mark Twain

"Time is what we want most, but what we use worst" - William Penn

"You may delay, but time will not" - Benjamin Franklin

"The past changes a little every time we retell it" - Hilary Mantel

"Master the art of doing things you don’t feel like doing, and you’ll go quite far" - Thibaut

"Pros are just amateurs who know how to gracefully recover from their mistakes" - Kevin Kelly

Level 19
"Learn the name of every person you meet, because names give you power over others"

I like this one because when I was in construction it was very hard to give orders unless you knew the persons name. Thus it was very true in the sense that without knowing their name, you couldn't tell them what to do

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
“He who never says anything cannot keep silent at any given moment.”
----
“In the midst of beings as a whole an open place occurs. There is a clearing, a lighting... Only this clearing grants and guarantees to us humans a passage to those beings that we ourselves are not, and access to the being that we ourselves are.”

~Martin Heidegger.

quote-the-senses-do-not-enable-us-to-cognize-any-entity-in-its-being-they-merely-serve-to-martin-heidegger-65-27-84.jpg
quote-nothing-is-everything-that-doesn-t-happen-at-this-very-moment-martin-heidegger-146-71-74.jpg

Level 22
''Only your real friends will tell you when your face is dirty'' - Sicilian Proverb

''Education is what remains after one has forgotten what one has learned in school'' - Albert Einstein

''People learn something every day, and a lot of times it’s that what they learned the day before was wrong'' - Bill Vaughan

''A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory'' - Steven Wright

''The more relaxed you are, the better you are at everything, the better you are with your loved ones, the better you are with your enemies, the better you are at your job, the better you are with yourself'' - Bill Murray

''It’s extremely powerful to say no; it’s really the most powerful thing to say'' - Bill Murray

Level 22
''The price of being a sheep is boredom. The price of being a wolf is loneliness. Choose one or the other with great care'' - Hugh MacLeod

''The secret of all victory lies in the organization of the non-obvious'' - Marcus Aurelius

''A gift consists not in what is done or given, but in the intention of the giver or doer'' - Seneca

''You could leave life right now. Let that determine what you do and say and think'' - Marcus Aurelius

''We define ourselves far too often by our past failures. That’s not you. You are this person right now. You’re the person who has learned from those failures'' - Joe Rogan

''It’s hard to prioritize the long term when you think you should feel comfortable in every moment'' - Michael

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
“Philosophy, then, is that thinking with which one can start nothing and about which housemaids necessarily laugh. Such a definition of philosophy is not a mere joke but is something to think over. We shall do well to remember occasionally that by our strolling we can fall into a well whereby we may not reach ground for quite some time.”
----
“To modern metaphysics, the Being of beings appears as will. But inasmuch as man, because of his nature as the thinking animal and by virtue of forming ideas, is related to beings in their Being, is thereby related to Being, and is thus determined by Being—therefore man's being, in keeping with this relatedness of Being (which now means, of the will) to human nature, must emphatically appear as a willing.”
----
“We do not have any clear, common and simple relation to reality and to ourselves. That is the big problem of the Western world.”
----
“The last god has his own most unique uniqueness and stands outside of the calculative determination expressed in the labels “mono-theism,” “pan-theism,” and “a-theism.” There has been “monotheism,” and every other sort of “theism,” only since the emergence of Judeo-Christian “apologetics,” whose thinking presupposes “metaphysics.” With the death of this God, all theisms wither away. The multiplicity of gods is not subject to enumeration but, instead, to the inner richness of the grounds and abysses in the site of the moment for the lighting up and concealment of the intimation of the last god.”
----
“Do we know ourselves—our “self”? How are we supposed to be ourselves if we are not our selves? And how can we be our selves without knowing who we are, such that we are certain of being the ones we are?”

~Martin Heidegger.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
Each beginning seems to presuppose an earlier beginning. ... Instead of meeting a single starting point, we encounter an infinity of them, each of which poses the same problem. ... There are no entirely satisfactory solutions to this dilemma. What we have to find is not a solution but some way of dealing with the mystery .... And we have to do so using words. The words we reach for, from God to gravity, are inadequate to the task. So we have to use language poetically or symbolically; and such language, whether used by a scientist, a poet, or a shaman, can easily be misunderstood.
~David Gilbert Christian.

quote-we-have-two-ears-and-one-tongue-so-that-we-would-listen-more-and-talk-less-diogenes-7-90-10.jpg

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
“The spiritual world of a Volk is not its cultural superstructure, just as little as it is its arsenal of useful knowledge [Kenntnisse] and values; rather, it is the power that comes from preserving at the most profound level the forces that are rooted in the soil and blood of a Volk, the power to arouse most inwardly and to shake most extensively the Volk's existence.”
----
“This saying is as old as Western philosophy itself, giving expression to that fundamental experience and orientation of ancient man from which philosophy begins; ἀ-λήθεια, unhiddenness, into which philosophy seeks to bring the hidden, is nothing arbitrary, and is especially not a property of a proposition or sentence, nor is it a so-called ‘value’. It is rather that reality, that occurrence [Geschehen], into which only that path (ἡ ὁδóϛ) leads of which another of the oldest philosophers likewise says: ‘it runs outside the ordinary path of men’, ἀπ´ ἀνθρώπων ἐκτὸϛ πάτου ἐστίυ (Parmenides, Fr. 1, 27).”
----
“A resounding of the authentic word can arise only from silence”
----
“The things for which we owe thanks are not things we have from ourselves. They are given to us. We receive many gifts, of many kinds. But the highest and really most lasting gift given to us is always our essential nature, with which we are gifted in such a way that we are what we are only through it. That is why we owe thanks for this endowment, first and unceasingly.”
----
“No historical movement can leap outside of history and start from scratch.”
----
“Who accomplishes the challenging setting-upon through which what we call the real is revealed as standing-reserve? Obviously, man. To what extent is man capable of such a revealing? Man can indeed conceive, fashion, and carry through this or that in one way or another. But man does not have control over unconcealment itself, in which at any given time the real shows itself or withdraws. The fact that the real has been showing itself in the light of Ideas ever since the time of Plato, Plato did not bring about. The thinker only responded to what addressed itself to him.”

~Martin Heidegger.

Level 22
‎"Life is a shipwreck, but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats" - Voltaire

"You amplify everything you react to" - Author Unknown

"How do you move forward? One step at a time. How do you lose weight? One kilo at a time. How do you write a book? One page at a time. How do you build a relationship? One day at a time. In a world obsessed with speed, never forget things of real worth and value take time" - Thibaut

"FOCUS – Follow One Course Until Successful" - Robert T. Kiyosaki

"Your future is created by what you do today, not tomorrow" - Robert T. Kiyosaki

"Don’t watch the clock; Do what it does. Keep going" - Sam Levenson

Status
Not open for further replies.