• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Solved] Custom Spell Effect

Level 6
Hello again!
I created a custom fairie fire spell and want another "post-cast" effect on units to depict it. For example instead of those "yellow leaves" put the divine shield of paladin etc. in Graphics -> Spells (or Art-Spells I do not know exactly) which we choose from the context menu if we want to change the visual part. What field in Arts in the object editor should I modify? Is this Art-Target, Art-Model or something else? I tried almost everything, but I haven't done the thing I need.

Level 27
You can change the Art - Target on the buff itself, in this case it's the Faerie Fire buff. That should change the visual effect if I understand correctly.

Level 20
In your case you most likely want to edit the buff itself yes, it's handled here

1692889545441.png

Do note that for each effect you add in Art - Target, you must add a corresponding attachment point (it's following the order of the list, so here the faerie fire will be applied to the head and the divine shield to the chest) and update the Art- Target Attachments to the number you use

Level 6
OK, is there a way to change the description of the effect? For example, when fairie fire is cast, the status will say that "armour is lowered, you have a vision on this warrior"? I found the description of the effect in the "effects" tab in the object editor, can I create a custom description of the effect, which the spell will refer to without replacing the default inscription?

Uncle

Warcraft Moderator
Level 64
OK, is there a way to change the description of the effect? For example, when fairie fire is cast, the status will say that "armour is lowered, you have a vision on this warrior"? I found the description of the effect in the "effects" tab in the object editor, can I create a custom description of the effect, which the spell will refer to without replacing the default inscription?
Faerie Fire doesn't use any Effects.

There's a single ability and a single buff for Faerie Fire. You can copy and paste these to create "custom" versions of them, which I recommend doing so that you can maintain the originals.

First, create your custom version of the Buff. Note how I've edited it's Art - Target to give it custom Special Effects as well as a new description:
Buff.png

Then create your custom version of the Ability and change it's Stats - Buffs to use your new Buff:
Ability.png

Now simply add this new Faerie Fire ability to one of your Units and test it in-game. You will see that it's a custom version of the original ability with fully customized art/text/stats.

Note that there will be conflicts if you give a Unit two or more abilities based on Faerie Fire since they share the same Order Id (string).