• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Custom speeches: The "how to" and "should I?"

Do you think I should use wc2 sounds for best concordance with the implemented heroes

• Quality's too poor. (Please tell me what should I do in this case).

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
OK, here goes:

How to:

Go to the sound editor in WE and browse for an appropriate unit that has the same or a bit less of an amount of "Yes", "YesAttack" and "What" sounds. Once you find it, go to the import manager and import all your sounds (I suggest you put them all in a separate folder so you can hit ctrl+shift+i and then select the folder. This will import all the sounds in that folder at once).

Now, let's say that for the appropriate amount of sounds you have picked the unit "SnapDragon", located in Units, Naga. In order for this to work, you must rename your imported sounds to this (let's say I'm gonna use a sound for an attack sound): "units\naga\snapdragon\snapdragonattack1.wav". So yeah, basically it goes like this:

"units\<<desiredrace>>\<<desiredunit>>\<<desiredunit>>attack(number)/yes(number)/what(number)/ready1/warcry1.wav"

What: Pretty self explanatory, this sound goes off when you click at your unit.

Yes: Order issued to move/attack/patrol at a point.

YesAttack: Order issued to attack a unit or building.

Warcry1: Order issued to attack a hero (kinda rare but you get it all the time if you keep clicking).

Important: Try to reduce the filesize, but without screwing up the quality of your sounds too much.

OK now on to the "Should I?":

I have exported sounds from WarCraft 2: Expansion Set (Beyond the Dark Portal). I have used them on 3 of my heroes so far: Turalyon, Danath and Khadgar. The ones who played my map already know I'm using BTDP (Beyond the Dark Portal) heroes and Tides of Darkness heroes. But the problem is, since they're from an old game, the quality isn't exactly the hottest.

I have attached Danath's sounds as an example. And it follows the SnapDragon example I've used, so you can get a better idea. :p

More importantly tho, do you think the quality of these sounds are too low for wc3? :bored:

*Attachment removed*

Last edited:
Level 3
Here you can tell about your map idea(s) which are not yet in development and get usefull feedback on them. You can also share your idea(s) in here for others to use.

Errr... the idea is about implementing custom speeches, which I shared with others and am asking for opinions for... so... yeah? o_O

Level 3
Hmmm... then can anyone tell me WHY does warcraft 2 already come with a sound browser/editor/EXPORTER? I mean it's not like I dled an illegal "teh_z0mg_illegal_wc2_sound_r1pz0r.exe" program. And it's a 10-to-13-year-old game, practically when DOS was still somewhat popular... I doubt you can still find original copies of a primitive game (don't get me wrong, wc2 owned in it's times, but it's pretty primitive nowadays).

OK then, I thought there wouldn't be much of a problem about this... sorry about that. Gotta get me voice actors then. =/

Is it ok if the voice actors say the same things as the wc2 characters do? o_O

*removes attachment*

Last edited:
Level 2
It's nice to export sounds from other games... In DotA, there are sounds from Unreal Tournament (first blood, monster kill etc). Now, if you hear one of that sounds, you'll probably think it comes from DotA, not from UT, won't you?
There is one small round thing. It looks like (c). It is important too.
(if there was an EXPORTER.EXE, then it is all OK, i think)

Status
Not open for further replies.