• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Custom Models (Not sure if this is right forum...)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
Now, I know this sounds noobish, and I'm not sure this is the right forum, but I thought since it (indirectly) is about the Editor, it might fit here.

Question 1: What folder do I save models I'm about download models in?

Question 2: How do I select those models later? Do they appear like normal models in the Editor in the "Custom" subsection of Unit section of the Tool Palette?

Please, help me out:sad:

Level 13
1. You save them wherever you want. After downloading you extract them using an archiever. e.g. winzip, winrar, or 7zip (which is free)

2. Now you open the Import manager in the World editor and import all extracted files.
(only *.blp and *.mdl).
Now you check the *.txt (mostly readme.txt) for custom paths and if there are any you apply them to the imported files.
(double click them -> custom path -> paste the one from the readme)

Go to object editor -> any unit -> find the line "model file" and there you can change it to the imported one

Level 8
There's also an inportant detail: you must close and re-open your map after importing the models. Otherwise you will not be able to see them. In some cases (happened with me twice) you need to close and re-open world editor to be able to see the model.

Also, someday, you will probably find on the net some model that comes with no read me. That way if the models uses custom textures you must see the paths on the own model. How do you do that? First you convert the model (i suggest the converter on thws tool section) from .mdx to .mdl so you can open it with notepad. Then you search for the part with the textures path in the .mdl file and you are done. It would look something like that

PHP:
Textures 2 {
    TextureID 0.
    Bitmap {
        Image "Textures\insert your name texture here.blp",
    }
    TextureID 1.
    Bitmap {
        Image "Units\Textures\another name texture here",
    }

Information is never too much, and this could even save you from taking you time to creating another thread in the future :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.