• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Custom model sticks to other units

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
No, the potrait isn't messed because there is no camera. There is one. It's just the model is screwed up for some reason. I think it didn't export part(s) of the model so it is using other units' parts because the computer can't find these in the gnome. When I try exporting it in different ways, sometimes it looks normal, but there are no aminations and it is sitting on another unit's foot, overhead, arm, etc. (like it's an attachment) And when I don't export any animations it works fine, but obviosly he isn't animated. If you could look at the text file to see what's wrong, I would really appreciate it.

Level 23
I think I can answer this one; I have encountered this problem before.

It occurs when the vertices are unassigned - if you converted this model to an MDL, my guess is you'd see a big list of "-1"s where the vertexgroups are designated; therein lies your problem. At least, such a problem happens when I forget to assign vertices in Milkshape. Anyway, since the vertices don't have a bone to follow, it seems that they latch onto the nearest other... Which is usually on another model.

The solution? Make sure all the vertices are assigned to a bone before you export.

I hope that helped.

Level 2
Strangely Rao Dao Zao, in the vertexgroup part it has no negative numbers and looks similar to any other model. Now I'm starting to realize that whatever parts I do skin are glitched and stick to other units or the middle of the map. However, what I leave unskinned, isn't animated but stays where it should be.

This is what it should look like:
http://www.freewebs.com/benms_pics/gnome5.PNG

These are two other versions of the glitch:
http://www.freewebs.com/benms_pics/gnome3.PNG
http://www.freewebs.com/benms_pics/gnome4.PNG
http://www.freewebs.com/benms_pics/gnome6.PNG

I have been trying for many, many hours to get this to work. Please help me.

Level 23
Sorry for the double post, but:

There's only one thing I can see that's wrong with the MDL - there are no sequences! Try adding in this above your textures section in the header:

Sequences 1 {
Anim "Stand" {
Interval { 0, 1 },
MinimumExtent { -200, -200, -200 },
MaximumExtent { 200, 200, 200 },
BoundsRadius 100,
}
}

Level 17
I doubt it: i have several models without sequences, and they don't cause any problems. I don't know if it can help, but i had a similar problem when i gave the footman animations to a sorceress (oinker tools). I could never figured what was wrong with it, but it's a start i suppose.

Level 17
I doubt it: i have several models without sequences, and they don't cause any problems. I don't know if it can help, but i had a similar problem when i gave the footman animations to a sorceress (oinker tools). I could never figured what was wrong with it, but it's a start i suppose.

Level 2
Sequences are not the problem. I have tried it with them long ago, but it doesn't work either. I just submited one with no sequences because I knew that they were not the problem, so it would be one less thing for you to have to look at.

Level 23
Nasrudin -
Model "OinkerCube" {
NumGeosets 1,
NumBones 1,
BlendTime 150,
MinimumExtent { -20, -20, 0 },
MaximumExtent { 20, 20, 40 },
BoundsRadius 34.641,
}
Sequences 1 {
Anim "Stand" {
Interval { 0, 3333 },
}
}
Textures 1 {
Bitmap {
Image "Textures\white.blp",
}
}
Materials 1 {
Material {
Layer {
FilterMode None,
static TextureID 0,
}
}
}
What's that at the top there?! A sequence! You've been had, my friend. Every model must have at least one sequence. It's the bones that don't need motion. Even if there are no keyframes anywhere in the model, it needs a sequence!

Status
Not open for further replies.