• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Custom Keys - keep it clean?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 8
I am wondering if there is an agreement on the Custom Keys...

If you want to key align your keys - you need to edit them.
The important once are Move Command, Attack etc..

However if you use Warkeys for example, they don't generate the Keys for your original Warcraft III they align them for dota, and your Priestess of the Moon is called whatever - something different all of a sudden. What gives! right?

So if i would like to upload my map, do i attach a custom key with it and every player must make the hustle to replace their default keys with my custom key?
Whenever he feels like playing this map and change back afterwards?

Is this how we do this here? Overwriting everyones shit all the time?

Level 24
You can import a custom .txt file in the import manager that will overwrite the hotkeys.
This will make everyone have your specified hotkeys on your map.

Dont really know the name of the file but it was something like CommandStrings.txt ... or another Command....txt

Level 24
well i'm not sure if you can..

see here i tried and it didn't seem to work... well some said it won't anyway.

http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/world-editor-help-zone-98/edit-hotkeys-save-map-move-patrol-build-select-270694/

Sure that there is a way?

I recall another thread similar to that one, where I clearly stated that CommandStrings.txt had to be used to edit the hotkeys.
However, because people ignored my post, I stopped trying to help them.

Here (attachment) is proof that CommandStrings.txt works to edit the hotkeys and tooltip of the basic commands.

I dont see a point of putting CommandStrings.txt into the map since you can set the hotkeys and tooltips and everything yourself in the map you are making.

Now I really wonder what you want to use then to make it work.
Sure icons and tooltips can be changed via Gameplay Interface, but no hotkeys.
Unless you know something about the editor that I dont, then I dont really believe you on this.

Attachments

• CustomHotkeysImported.w3m
    19.2 KB · Views: 100
Level 24
Ah, that thing... however I find it strange that CustomKeys.txt is such a problem.
Many maps crash because you can enable "Always show health bars", but having wrong hotkeys because people dont read how to use your map or because map makers rely on things they shouldnt rely on is such a problem?

Level 8
Wohoo thanks Wietlol! Thanks for the explanation and the example map!
So just to be perfectly clear - you can edit the commands like [cmdmove] here
- which is more than enough really
However if someone would have a Customkey.txt in their warcraft III folder, these imported hotkeys will overwrite them? Regardless if custom hotkeys are enabled in the option window?
Are only the keys from the imported commandstrings.txt considered? And the customkeys aren't even loaded or are they really overwritten - so other unedited keys in commandstrings would still be affected by customkeys?
I will test that out right now!

Level 24
In the options of the game itself, you can enable or disable custom hotkeys which are loaded from that file.
However, it is impossible for a map to overrule (not overwrite) these hotkeys because they are accessed on a different moment.
When you have disabled this option, your Customkeys.txt wont affect your gameplay.

What happens is when you start a game, your Warcraft III loads a specific gamestate, in that state it will create a lot of stuff and look for your settings and read your Customkeys.txt (if enabled)
Then when loading the map, if Customkeys.txt is enabled, it wont load the regular hotkeys.
But if it does, it loads the hotkeys from the .w3a (and all other files) and loads the data of the commands from CommandStrings.txt and CommandFunc.txt
These files are in your MPQ which means that by importing custom ones, they will be overwritten.

So: Customkeys.txt > CommandStrings.txt
But only if they are enabled.

Personal opinion: Just dont use Customkeys.txt or at least dont have the option enabled when you dont play maps you want to use it for.

Status
Not open for further replies.