• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Binding custom keys to arrow-keys?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
Hi, not sure if this is the right place for this but,

is it possible, either by triggers, script or any other means to bind the keys
ASDW to the arrow-keys, up, down left and right?

if not, any solution to get the arrow-key functionality (detection of key-press and key-release) with the keys ASDF?

The point is that I want to create an arrow-key controllable unit with access to other short-cut keys near the movement keys.
Also planning on using mouse for something else, so the other hand is busy :S

Thanks for any replies.

Level 10
I could probably make up a test map for you with what operatore said in a little bit.

Level 2
Hmm I think I know what you mean. That would certainly make the unit move, but is it possible to detect when the user release the key?

Because the whole idea is that the unit will start moving when the key is pressed, and stop moving when released.

If thats possible to do with the dummy-abilities, I would be very gratefull for a test map.

Edit: I have noticed the CustomKeys.txt thing in warcraft3's root folder that lets you bind custom keys to almost anything, but havent seen any option to bind it to 'camera scroll' that is the arrow-keys functionality in normal games.

Level 5
Only the arrow keys will work properly.

But that requires only basic triggers, and you can detect when it's released.

I wanted to do the same thing, but I'll just switch it to the arrow keys. It should be find unless you absolutely need the arrow keys for something.

Level 2
Its not that I need the arrow keys for something, its that I need a bunch of extra keys to be next to them.

Picture an example map where you move with WASD, use abilities with QERTFG etc. and aim+attack with mouse. Not a fps, but a kind of 3rd person shooter. The point is to have access to keys for movement, abilities and mouse at the same time.

I have seen scripts where they register arrow key usage, but dont really understand much of it. Just need to know that that functionality is possible to get before starting :p. Seems I have to start learning scripts to find out.

Level 5
I don't think you can do aim and attack with the mouse anyways. If you could it'd almost definitely have been a part of Tricky's Sniper system.

I'm making a FPS game and I've just decided to move the character and aim the sniper with arrow keys while the mouse handles everything else. RTS games by default are mainly point and click, and keyboard hotkeys to speed tihngs up for the pro players.

You can always assign abilities to the number pad. It'll be a comfortable set-up if the user slides the keyboard over a bit.

If some genius figures out how to use the WASD keys for movement, that'd be great. But the world editor has a ton of limitations. You can complain all you want but some people will only tell you they'd rather have a super limited system than one with tons of bugs and glitches.

Status
Not open for further replies.