Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Custom Keys - keep it clean?

Discussion in 'World Editor Help Zone' started by CaptainHero, Nov 2, 2015.

1. CaptainHero

CaptainHero

Resources:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    I am wondering if there is an agreement on the Custom Keys...

If you want to key align your keys - you need to edit them.
    The important once are Move Command, Attack etc..

However if you use Warkeys for example, they don't generate the Keys for your original Warcraft III they align them for dota, and your Priestess of the Moon is called whatever - something different all of a sudden. What gives! right?

So if i would like to upload my map, do i attach a custom key with it and every player must make the hustle to replace their default keys with my custom key?
    Whenever he feels like playing this map and change back afterwards?

Is this how we do this here? Overwriting everyones shit all the time?

2. Wietlol

Wietlol

Resources:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    You can import a custom .txt file in the import manager that will overwrite the hotkeys.
    This will make everyone have your specified hotkeys on your map.

Dont really know the name of the file but it was something like CommandStrings.txt ... or another Command....txt

3. CaptainHero

CaptainHero

Resources:
    Spells:
    Resources:
  4. edo494

edo494

Resources:
    Spells:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    I dont see a point of putting CommandStrings.txt into the map since you can set the hotkeys and tooltips and everything yourself in the map you are making.

5. Wietlol

Wietlol

Resources:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    I recall another thread similar to that one, where I clearly stated that CommandStrings.txt had to be used to edit the hotkeys.
    However, because people ignored my post, I stopped trying to help them.

Here (attachment) is proof that CommandStrings.txt works to edit the hotkeys and tooltip of the basic commands.

Now I really wonder what you want to use then to make it work.
    Sure icons and tooltips can be changed via Gameplay Interface, but no hotkeys.
    Unless you know something about the editor that I dont, then I dont really believe you on this.

Attached Files:

6. edo494

edo494

Resources:
    Spells:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    You can set hotkey of any ability you can edit in the editor, I dont see what you dont see.

Yes, I am asuming he is going to release a map, since he said "So if i would like to upload my map".

7. Wietlol

Wietlol

Resources:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    I dont see the ability "Attack" in the editor, nor the ability "Hold Position".

Also... you assume he is going to release a map?
    That was quite random.

8. edo494

edo494

Resources:
    Spells:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    He said "What if I release a map", and you cant change hotkeys for build-ins according to the thread he linked, so the whole file is in the end irrelevant

9. Wietlol

Wietlol

Resources:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Ah, that thing... however I find it strange that CustomKeys.txt is such a problem.
    Many maps crash because you can enable "Always show health bars", but having wrong hotkeys because people dont read how to use your map or because map makers rely on things they shouldnt rely on is such a problem?

10. CaptainHero

CaptainHero

Resources:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Wohoo thanks Wietlol! Thanks for the explanation and the example map!
    So just to be perfectly clear - you can edit the commands like [cmdmove] here
    - which is more than enough really
    However if someone would have a Customkey.txt in their warcraft III folder, these imported hotkeys will overwrite them? Regardless if custom hotkeys are enabled in the option window?
    Are only the keys from the imported commandstrings.txt considered? And the customkeys aren't even loaded or are they really overwritten - so other unedited keys in commandstrings would still be affected by customkeys?
    I will test that out right now!

11. edo494

edo494

Resources:
    Spells:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    the ones in folder override everything

12. Wietlol

Wietlol

Resources:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    In the options of the game itself, you can enable or disable custom hotkeys which are loaded from that file.
    However, it is impossible for a map to overrule (not overwrite) these hotkeys because they are accessed on a different moment.
    When you have disabled this option, your Customkeys.txt wont affect your gameplay.

What happens is when you start a game, your Warcraft III loads a specific gamestate, in that state it will create a lot of stuff and look for your settings and read your Customkeys.txt (if enabled)
    Then when loading the map, if Customkeys.txt is enabled, it wont load the regular hotkeys.
    But if it does, it loads the hotkeys from the .w3a (and all other files) and loads the data of the commands from CommandStrings.txt and CommandFunc.txt
    These files are in your MPQ which means that by importing custom ones, they will be overwritten.

So: Customkeys.txt > CommandStrings.txt
    But only if they are enabled.

Personal opinion: Just dont use Customkeys.txt or at least dont have the option enabled when you dont play maps you want to use it for.

13. edo494

edo494

Resources:
    Spells:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    I think it will load your hotkeys, but it will not override the entries that collide with CustomKeys, not every entry inside CommandStrings has to be present in CustomKeys.

14. CaptainHero

CaptainHero

Resources:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Very smooth!
    Nonetheless - We just agree on that everyone uses an English keyboard right?
    At least they should swap it to English with the language bar or something (windows users)

so:

qwert
    asdf
    zxcv

15. Wietlol

Wietlol

Resources:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    qwerty keyboard settings...
    And yea everyone uses them... except edo494 who actually uses two settings switching between them every 5 minutes.

16. edo494

edo494

Resources:
    Spells:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    I use qwertz every time unless Im programming, and french people will use their native one, which is azerty(yea it seems funny having a where q is normally)