• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Custom Icons - Adding alpha channels?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 12
Is anyone aware of a tool that can add alpha channels onto 76x76 SC2 icons? I need this for some custom SC2 Icons I have.

Currently they do work, but can't combine them onto buttons as they just completely overlap it without an alpha channel.

Any ideas?

EDIT: Here's is a pic to show what I mean.

Example-2.jpg

Last edited:
Level 12
Installing Gimp now, where can I get this dds plugin?

EDIT: Ok so this would save the channels when extracting the icons. Is it possible to add one onto a custom icon to import into SC2?

EDIT2: I tried adding an alpha channel with Gimp and saving the file as a TGA. Doesn't seem to work in the SC2 game, still overlaps buttons.

Level 12
Could you tell me the best way of removing the black color to make it transparent?

I had a go at this one and failed completely, attempting to cute out the black, add an alpha. When you import icons to you still them TGA?

Failed Attempt:
Icon_ForceField.jpg

XX.jpg

Also do you have any of your SC2 icons uploaded anywhere, would like to see them if possible.

Level 12
Your icon worked perfectly :)

Ok so how did you get it all working?
- Open up the jpeg icon with Gimp
- Add an Alpha Channel layer.
- Save as a.dds with BC3/DXT5 compression.
- Import and done!

Any steps I'm missing?

Level 16
this icons was a Blizzard Icon I've found here in the icon section. So it was blp1. i converted it to tga. Then I opened it in Gimp, made it colorless -> removed all colors. So only the white image and the black background were left. Then I converted black color to transparency and voila I had my Icon (before I removed the wc3 Borders.)

Installing Gimp now, where can I get this dds plugin?

EDIT: Ok so this would save the channels when extracting the icons. Is it possible to add one onto a custom icon to import into SC2?

EDIT2: I tried adding an alpha channel with Gimp and saving the file as a TGA. Doesn't seem to work in the SC2 game, still overlaps buttons.

Read my tutorial on icons on the tutoral section.

Plus, make sure you only have 1 layer.

Status
Not open for further replies.