• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Custom Hero Mechanic Brainstorming

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
This is about the mid-match ability selection type of custom heroes, not the general concept of making non-melee Heroes in maps. The main reason I make this thread is because I actually can't figure out how to get unlearned abilities to be added through the Trigger Editor GUI, since apparently the Add Ability command gives a level 1 version of Hero abilities and I can't find a trigger to reduce the level to 0 so it's set to needing learned.

And I can't find a map I can open and analyze for it, since they're either protected (what else makes a call for 4 billion bytes of memory on editor opening of the map?), malfunctioning (probably the source of automatic crashes on opening maps from 2006) or covered in dense triggers of custom abilities that are learned entirely through triggers (the one that I could open and actually see something in).

What I have so far is a trigger that correctly registers picking up an item and learning the associated ability, using an if/then/else trigger for each ability. I could add a placeholding "level 0" to the relevant abilities as a workaround, but I'd prefer to have it done as properly learned abilities for the sake of appearing properly made.

---

In regards to the discussion on mechanic ideas... Well, to point at the attached test map, the Hero is teleported to another spot upon the selection being made, using a shop selection dummied onto a Scout Tower. Having the trigger be applied to acquiring the item, rather than purchasing it, means that it can also have a hall of pickups instead of a shop selection, visually displaying the item through models showing the ability.

Level 14
I think you could probably do the usual five ability variable per hero with an array then when the hero learns placeholder learning ability from 1 to 5 increase the level of the appropriate ability.
Or if you are fine making 2 skills per learn-able skill you can use placeholders skills that are invisible out of the learning window and starts at level 1.(I do not know how it would work if it works.)

Level 7
Iùve done it before by giving the hero hero abilities with generic descriptions based on channel but not being visible. That way you can learn them but they don't show up. And then use triggers to add the right abilities and level them up when the corresponding dummy hero ability gets levelled up.

Status
Not open for further replies.