• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Custom Elemental System

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 13
As you can guess the normal elements and armor type for WC3 can be a bit limited in usage. What I want to do is program in some elements and tie them to creatures in my WC3 game.

I'm still trying to figure out the best method to do that. You see, I would like to give units buffs that make them resistant to elemental based spells and attacks.

Examples of how it would work:

Unit A casts a spell on Unit B. That spell is water, and Unit B is fire. Unit B takes the spell's damage and then an extra amount of damage because it's weak to water. However if Unit A was to cast on Unit C, because Unit C is lightning based, it would do reduced damage.

Also unit A could cast a buff that makes Unit B have a Water buff on it's weapon, so when Unit B attacks fire it does extra damage, and against lightning it gains no benefits.

I'm thinking I might be able to do this via The Object Editor Buffs the easiest. I could use variables too though, but that seems tedious. What would be a good system to do this with?

Level 17
As you can guess the normal elements and armor type for WC3 can be a bit limited in usage. What I want to do is program in some elements and tie them to creatures in my WC3 game.

I'm still trying to figure out the best method to do that. You see, I would like to give units buffs that make them resistant to elemental based spells and attacks.

Examples of how it would work:

Unit A casts a spell on Unit B. That spell is water, and Unit B is fire. Unit B takes the spell's damage and then an extra amount of damage because it's weak to water. However if Unit A was to cast on Unit C, because Unit C is lightning based, it would do reduced damage.

Also unit A could cast a buff that makes Unit B have a Water buff on it's weapon, so when Unit B attacks fire it does extra damage, and against lightning it gains no benefits.

I'm thinking I might be able to do this via The Object Editor Buffs the easiest. I could use variables too though, but that seems tedious. What would be a good system to do this with?

This is quite easy with vJass. You would have to have a database; a data for each creature/spell/whatever. Wouldn't be too hard, I guess. If you are asking for systems - this is more something you'd write yourself, without special systems.

Level 13
Naw, not looking for someone to do the system for me. I might have to open up a map I've made and edited recently in order to get an idea of databases though, or look through the tutorials for specific information about one.

I'm not clear on how it'd work in my mind. I've only used a database to tie strings to abilities. Never really worked with custom data.

Level 9
if you only have a few elements, it could be easier to just change the armor and attack types.
e.g Heavy Armor gets Fire Armor which gains bonus damage from water
Magic Attack gets fire attack which makes bonus damage to ... well nature armor:grin:
unaarmored gets water armor which gains bonus damage from lightning attacks and less damage from fire attacks.
Easy as that:thumbs_up:
Just dont forget that you have to trigger all the damage from the spells then!

Status
Not open for further replies.