• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Custom ability that turns on/off like Defend

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 15
Hi,

I'd like to make a custom ability that has an on/off form but isn't an autocast, like Defend.

Would I base it off of Channel ('ANcl') or the human ability Defend?

Also, what is the standard way to use icons for on/off abilities?

Like I notice most icons on the hive don't have things like:

OFFBtnIcon...

which would be the icon used for when the ability is off (not disabled and not autocast turned off).

Level 23
There's defend, mana shield and immolation. I'd recommend using any of those three.
Also, I think there was a function that allows you to be able to turn divine shield and wind walk on and off. I think it was in the Gameplay Constants.

For the icons, you can use any btn (or any icons actually) since the On and Off buttons have a separate data field in the object editor.

Level 15
Ah I see.

About the icons though, they should look alike, e.g. Divine Shield on/off or Defend on/off.

I guess nobody makes an OFFBtnIcon these days, or perhaps I should request one for the specific icon I am using?

Level 25
There are no special icons. All toggle abilities have two active BTN icons.
E.g. BTNImmolationOn and BTNImmolationOff
BTNDefend and BTNDefendstop, etc.

Having OFFBtn icon doesn't make sense, as the logic of icons is that you have an active or passive version of the icon and its disabled counterpart.
The PASBTN prefix was most likely used so abilities that use both active and passive icons (e.g. Devotion aura) can have same name.

Also, I think there was a function that allows you to be able to turn divine shield and wind walk on and off. I think it was in the Gameplay Constants.
I tried that few weeks ago and sadly, it doesn't work (unless I have to change more stuff than just the boolean value in gameplay constants). But I think it did work on earlier patch(es).

Level 23
gameplayconstants.jpg

The (NYI) means (Not yet implemented), and since blizzard forgot they even have warcraft 3 at this point(last patch was quite a long time ago), they are never going to implement it to the game, so you cant toggle avatar or any other of the spells listed on the picture

edit: Despite the fact that the Divine Shield has no (NYI) after its name, and it is true, it is still impossible to deactivate it, maybe if you remove the buff from unit

Status
Not open for further replies.