• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Currently working on ... (Daily update)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zwiebelchen

Hosted Project GR
Level 35
Just for you very impatient people out there, I decided to make this thread to provide you with the newest information about the developement process of the newest version of Gaias Retaliation ORPG.

You can see this as a direct measurement for the time that is left until the new version comes out.

List of changes since 2.4.2010 (not in official version yet!):
- implemented advanced classes including one new spell per advanced class
- Fixed a bug where units sometimes get permanently invulnerable
- Ancient One now has a steal table
- Tooltip of Scroll of Lightning Strike fixed
- Soldiers Gauntlets now have correct tooltip
- Improved cinematics (dunno if that fixed the rare desync problem)
- symbol of fury now castable on user itself
- Ancient One range higher; faster attack rate
- The Protector has now faster attack rate & more damage and dispels less frequently
- crafted items are now bound to user
- fixed a performance problem with crucify (yes, I know the Crusader is not available for ordinary players yet)
- cinematics and dialogues are now skippable by pressing the ESC key (Yes, it's true! :> )
- new creep types created
- added a reset button to the entry signals of dungeons
- Increased return range for dungeon mobs
- Fixed some bugs with two handed weapons not showing attachment models correctly
- Fixed some bugs with buff art not displaying correctly
- Custom Boss spells finished
- Bought items are now bound
- Custom Mob and Boss AI for new creeps done
- Creating the dungeon events
- Custom Weather System implemented
- City Dynamic Life System implemented
- 5 of the 5 class change mini dungeons completed
- started Sewers terrain
- Created another new dungeon boss with unique spells: The Blazing Flame
- Implemented an optional 3rd person camera system
- Creating the Mini-dungeon bosses
- PvP command
- Class Change Quests
- New items
- Loot & Steal Tables
- polishing the third dungeon terrain
- making the map release ready (testing games)

Currently working on:
- Calculating Shadowmap (60%)

Last edited:
Level 3
I have a question, why only add one spell for the class advancement? I mean if you go beserker you're only going to have that one new spell and maybe another that's viable for DPS. Why not just introduce new abilities with maybe just one of the old spells?

Zwiebelchen

Hosted Project GR
Level 35
I have a question, why only add one spell for the class advancement? I mean if you go beserker you're only going to have that one new spell and maybe another that's viable for DPS. Why not just introduce new abilities with maybe just one of the old spells?
Who said you will lose your old spells when advancing to the new class?

Level 3
Who said you will lose your old spells when advancing to the new class?

I never mentioned that in my post? I said "You will only have two viable DPS abilties".. meaning the older spells that would be with the class wouldn't be useful for a dps class because they're meant for tanking mostly. I'd rather have like 4 new abilties with the new clas than one new ability and all those older spells.

Zwiebelchen

Hosted Project GR
Level 35
I never mentioned that in my post? I said "You will only have two viable DPS abilties".. meaning the older spells that would be with the class wouldn't be useful for a dps class because they're meant for tanking mostly. I'd rather have like 4 new abilties with the new clas than one new ability and all those older spells.
There will be more spells in the future, but for the next content upgrade, only 1 spell per class is planned. Creating spells isn't something you can do in some hours, let alone 40 of them. :con:

Update:
Finished the Dungeon defence event now. I think it looks pretty good. Just a little hard to balance right now.

Level 3
There will be more spells in the future, but for the next content upgrade, only 1 spell per class is planned. Creating spells isn't something you can do in some hours, let alone 40 of them. :con:

Update:
Finished the Dungeon defence event now. I think it looks pretty good. Just a little hard to balance right now.

Ok, cool. That's what I wanted to know. It's alpha, so i shouldn't be expecting too much lol.

ty for the update too.

Zwiebelchen

Hosted Project GR
Level 35
I added a cool custom weather system to the game now. Think it turned out awesome. Gonna work on the quests from now on.

Also, I now added a dynamic life system to the City of Mytargas. At night, there will be Night Watchers with torches roaming through the streets, while at day, there are more people on the streets.

Last edited:
Level 3
I added a cool custom weather system to the game now. Think it turned out awesome. Gonna work on the quests from now on.

Also, I now added a dynamic life system to the City of Mytargas. At night, there will be Night Watchers with torches roaming through the streets, while at day, there are more people on the streets.

sounds cool to me, can't wait for it :grin:

Level 4
Zwiebelchen said:
City Dynamic Life System implemented

omg...your crazy.

But i still have a question. The released version has a size of ca.7mb. and you just terrained a litte part of the hole map. How do you imagine to play the hole map in the internet? As i know the maximum of a mapsize is 8mb. an now you only have 1mb to map the other parts of the map.

Cataract

Level 3
omg...your crazy.

But i still have a question. The released version has a size of ca.7mb. and you just terrained a litte part of the hole map. How do you imagine to play the hole map in the internet? As i know the maximum of a mapsize is 8mb. an now you only have 1mb to map the other parts of the map.

Cataract

Optimizing the map, deleting useless stuff from the previous version, lower quality models, etc.

I could go on and on, but I think one of the mapmakers talks about this somewhere in here. I'm too lazy to find it though. :slp:

Level 3
The custom-added music is a megabyte or two (Don't quote me - just what I recall), so that can be removed if necessary. Also the makers of the map have implemented A LOT of the big features already in the coming version / current version. IE - Crafting system, etc. so the amount of space needed for the coming versions is much smaller than the current versions.

Zwiebelchen

Hosted Project GR
Level 35
The custom-added music is a megabyte or two (Don't quote me - just what I recall), so that can be removed if necessary. Also the makers of the map have implemented A LOT of the big features already in the coming version / current version. IE - Crafting system, etc. so the amount of space needed for the coming versions is much smaller than the current versions.
I think there won't be any more things (maybe except some attachment models, which are usually very small) we are going to import. So basicly, the size will remain constant from now on. Maybe except for some few KBs that are used by the maps internal data when the terraining spreads.

Level 7
I see you made a custom weather system. Could you make a night/day cycle system? (if I'm not wrong, there is already something like that). But when I say night, I mean night, dark atmosphere, props lighting, etc... if you know what I mean.

Level 10
I see you made a custom weather system. Could you make a night/day cycle system? (if I'm not wrong, there is already something like that). But when I say night, I mean night, dark atmosphere, props lighting, etc... if you know what I mean.

You guys ever played Zelda: Ocarina of time? This reminds me of that idea, how they had like skeletons spawn out of the ground at night time and stuff. That would be kind of cool to see something like that, like certain monsters come out at night and stuff.

Level 5
actual we have a night day system it changes the fog to the current "looking night"

I guess what you are talking about is the light like in the dungeons.

We could use that but that would be like a lite switch whitch you turn off the night day fog system changes the fog and light smoothly.

And we would have to change the whole lightnings pretty much work, otherewise you wouldnt see much.

Zwiebelchen

Hosted Project GR
Level 35
Also, I do not think that would fit. I mean; even at night its never completely dark like in dungeons. You always have the moon shining and stuff. I think it would look weird to create that dungeon atmosphere on the outside.

PS: We almost finished the class change mini dungeons now. I think next week we should be able to finish the last major terrain things, so I can concentrate on all the quests and stuff (which usually do not take that much time) and the final polishing.

Level 3
Zwiebelchen said:
Also, I do not think that would fit. I mean; even at night its never completely dark like in dungeons. You always have the moon shining and stuff. I think it would look weird to create that dungeon atmosphere on the outside.

PS: We almost finished the class change mini dungeons now. I think next week we should be able to finish the last major terrain things, so I can concentrate on all the quests and stuff (which usually do not take that much time) and the final polishing.

Hmm... so.. can you give us an estimate on when in 'early April' will it come out?

Level 1
Hmm... so.. can you give us an estimate on when in 'early April' will it come out?

I would guess within a week from now for it to be early April. But I'd give them an extra week if it means some extra polishing of all the goodies :xxd: I'd say the map IS completed now, they just bugtest it and such.

Zwiebelchen

Hosted Project GR
Level 35
I am currently creating a very experimental 3rd person camera system, which is much faster than any key-press-event based systems and also adds some comfort to it (you can turn the camera also by moving the curser to the border of the screen). I just need to optimize it a little more ...
Maybe it will never work the way I want it, but lets see what happens.

About the release date ... yeah ... one or two more weeks would be great. There are still so many things to do ... I didn't even start with the quests yet, as I still need to create some boss skills for all the class change minibosses and stuff. Pretty complicated.

We will keep you informed.

Level 19

Nooooo.. The music is soo epic.. I only play it because of the music near the Travel Path ..

Zwiebelchen

Hosted Project GR
Level 35
We implemented an (optional) 3rd person camera system to the game now.

I think it turned out very well done. It's not as nooblike as other systems that sometimes screw up the camera dropping below the terrain and stuff.
The viewing angle always adapts the ground. When you walk off a mountain, the camera looks down a little bit more and looks up if you walk up the mountain.

There are 3 cameras now: Ordinary game view, Fixcam freely rotatable with arrow keys and Fixcam with auto-rotate, which can still be manually rotated, if needed.
The Fixcams also have 4 different view settings: Close, Medium, Overview and Birdseye.
You can easily switch between the cameras by using a hero button and using the arrow keys.

Note that these cams are optional! If you want, you can still play the map like you are used to. This is just for those people that want to "feel" the map a little bit more :>

Attachments

• CamUp.jpg
    CamUp.jpg
    398.8 KB · Views: 199
  • CamDown.jpg
    CamDown.jpg
    358.9 KB · Views: 213
  • CamClose.jpg
    CamClose.jpg
    373.9 KB · Views: 190
  • CamMedium.jpg
    CamMedium.jpg
    385.1 KB · Views: 214
  • CamOverview.jpg
    CamOverview.jpg
    316.5 KB · Views: 202
  • CamBirdseye.jpg
    CamBirdseye.jpg
    297.2 KB · Views: 198
Level 3
any informations about some orintation release date? :) I can't look images anymore...i get unpatient more... :(

Level 5
I must say, the dungeon with the ancient one reminded me of WoW's Blackfathom deeps.

Will there be an option for single player ever? I admit i have to use Whosyourdaddy often.... and after reaching level 30 with awesome priest gear.. i was tempted to save....My gear was just so awesome!

Level 2
I dont know this is the right threat but i have a idead.
Well when u create ur character u can write a name like in Aion,Lineage2.Guild Wars etc. and in game shows to your name..u take my point

Zwiebelchen

Hosted Project GR
Level 35
I dont know this is the right threat but i have a idead.
Well when u create ur character u can write a name like in Aion,Lineage2.Guild Wars etc. and in game shows to your name..u take my point
This is not possible in Wc3, as the unit's name is not changable via triggers.

any informations about some orintation release date? :) I can't look images anymore...i get unpatient more... :(
I know you do not want to hear that but: "When it's done" ... Check this thread every now and then and you can judge it from the progress in the first post.

Update
We decided to add the PvP mode to the upcoming release, despite what I said before.

You can enter your hero into pvp mode by simply typing a command into the game chat.
The game will then show a warning to all players. After 5 seconds, the heroes alliance settings hostiles everyone. You will then be in PvP mode for 3 minutes, until it reverts back to alliance.

To make PvP combat more balanced, all damage dealt from players by players will be reduced by half. This will hopefully prevent mages from insta-killing everything with Magic Missile. This is still a subject of testing, though. If I feel that players still die way to fast, the damage might be reduced even more.

Last edited:

Zwiebelchen

Hosted Project GR
Level 35
I started working on the actual quest scripts today (finished all the boss design and stuff). Which is good news, as this is one of the very last things that I still need to do trigger-wise, beside all the item tables and stuff and usually goes very quick.

I will give you updates on the progress in terms of quests every day now. I planned writing like 20 new quests, 6 of them being class change quests.

As the class change quests require much more work than the other quests, I will do them first. Let's see how fast I can progress with that.

Level 10
I started working on the actual quest scripts today (finished all the boss design and stuff). Which is good news, as this is one of the very last things that I still need to do trigger-wise, beside all the item tables and stuff and usually goes very quick.

I will give you updates on the progress in terms of quests every day now. I planned writing like 20 new quests, 6 of them being class change quests.

As the class change quests require much more work than the other quests, I will do them first. Let's see how fast I can progress with that.

That's awesome! I"m really excited!! But I have one question, how are there 6 class change quests when there are only 5 classes that are able to be changed? Not that I'm complaining, the more quests the better! I was just curious if one class ended up with two or what, or is one like the inital quest to go into D3 then the second part is the individual quest for everyone?

Zwiebelchen

Hosted Project GR
Level 35
That's awesome! I"m really excited!! But I have one question, how are there 6 class change quests when there are only 5 classes that are able to be changed? Not that I'm complaining, the more quests the better! I was just curious if one class ended up with two or what, or is one like the inital quest to go into D3 then the second part is the individual quest for everyone?
Well, we changed the concept for the second part of the quest being inside the sewers instead of D3, as we wanted the players to reach advanced class state before getting into D3. But yes, the sixth quest is the second part of the class changer quest chain, which is the same for every class.

Zwiebelchen

Hosted Project GR
Level 35
And if the version have some bugs are u think to make new updated version?
Of course.

PS: I finished the cleric class changer quest today ... possibly the most difficult one in terms of scripts. Tomorrow I'll try to get 3/6.

EDIT:
3/6 now. :>
Gonna upload some new ingame footage in the screens thread.

Last edited:
Level 3
I know this is a totally random question.. =x .. but where do you get that tall grass doodad that you use for the majority of the grassy terrain? I really like it and I have been having a hard time trying to find grass models like that.. >_<

Status
Not open for further replies.