• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Currently working on ... (Daily update)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zwiebelchen

Hosted Project GR
Level 35
I believe the shadowmap calculation takes much longer than expected.
I deleted everything that does not need a shadow (only trees and buildings and walls are still inside the map now) and merge the shadowmaps after calculating them for this "dummy" map; however, it will still takes at least 10-12 hours ... if not more.
With 5000+ highpoly doodads, theres simply no way to get it done fast :( ...

But I can not really estimate the time at this point. I started calculating now. Lets see how much % I can get in two hours, then I can give you an ETA.
If somebody got a ridicolously good computer with a very strong SINGLE CORE processor (WE doesnt allow multithreading) with like 3000+ Mhz and don't care for the computer to not be able to do anything for a day, then maybe you can write me a PM, as it is definitely going to be faster on this PC then.

EDIT: Lol, I made a stencil out of paper with the percentages written on it, that I can hold onto my screen to find out how much % is done. Looks extremely weird, but whatever :>

EDIT 2: Hmm ... while waiting for the shadowmap to get completed, I will download Windows Movie maker to produce a small trailer :)

EDIT 3: ... I think this is gonna take VERY long on my machine. After one hour, I got roughly 4% ... of not less. That would sum up to at least 30 hours of calculating

Last edited:

Zwiebelchen

Hosted Project GR
Level 35
Don't know if the process is stuck or not. I can not see the progress bar anymore, as Windows 7 does not show it anymore (just shows a blank box) ...
It still consumes one of my cores by 100%, but I can absolutely not tell how long its going to take :(

I would really prefer someone else calculating the shadows ... Is there really nobody here with a strong single core processor? or at least a Dual core with more than 2 Ghz on each core?

Level 1
To be honest, i have a Dual Core, with 2.8 Ghz on each core .. But hell .. I dont really know how this process goes on.

btw, Joined only to post this, cuz i can't wait till GR will be released *rotfl*

Level 2
Don't know if the process is stuck or not. I can not see the progress bar anymore, as Windows 7 does not show it anymore (just shows a blank box) ...
It still consumes one of my cores by 100%, but I can absolutely not tell how long its going to take :(

I would really prefer someone else calculating the shadows ... Is there really nobody here with a strong single core processor? or at least a Dual core with more than 2 Ghz on each core?

hmm i have
"Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor T5870 (2M Cache, 2.00 GHz, 800 MHz FSB)"

if you think its better i can do it but I can start at 19-20 GMT+1

Edit: if i knew that you need help yesturday i could do it untill now cos now im on my other PC with 4600+ proc :/

Level 1
Thats not a problem, really .. I can start right now, and let it go until it finishes. 15 Hours are not that bad i think ;) The only problem is, you need to explain me what to do certainly, because Im a little green.

EDIT :

Ill do it, let me know on PM, if u make your decision.

Last edited:
Level 2
@ Mandic: 2,8 Ghz per core would be an enourmous increase to mine, which has 2x1,86 Ghz ...
When can you start calculating and how long can you leave your computer on? This will take AT LEAST 15 hours, consider that!

I can start at 20-21 today and i can leave pc on even a week, so one day is nothing to me. Just send me all info about what to do cos im a little newbie in that kind of stuff.
Heres my email: [email protected]

PS. Ill ask my roommates if they dont have any faster pc bcs they usually leave PC's on over night too. I hope i will be able to help.

Status
Not open for further replies.