• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Crossing the Forest

This bundle is marked as useful / simple. Simplicity is bliss, low effort and/or may contain minor bugs.
Map Description :

A 12 players melee map with a lot of ressources. You can buy a little army of ogre and troll mercenaries and dragons in the forest and power up your hero with all the bonus dropped by the creeps. Once your army is ready, join the fight at the center of the map where there is a fountain of life to make the fight last longer. The starting positions are not always optimal for 3v3v3v3.

Features :
  • 12 players
  • 24 gold mines (50 000 gold for starting gold mines / 15 000 gold for other gold mines)
  • 4 taverns
  • 4 goblin laboratories
  • 8 mercenary camps
  • 1 fountain of health
  • 4 red dragon roosts
  • 16 green camps
  • 12 orange camps
  • 13-25 red camps
Changelogs :

[03/31/2017] Some starting positions and starting gold mines have been moved.
Contents

Crossing the Forest (Map)

Reviews
deepstrasz
Although some passes are narrow and might make troops have a hard time fighting, there are also wide spaces. A 50k gold mine at start while there's another 15k mine in the vicinity? The enemy might start somewhere near if the suggested players...
Level 19
So first, I am no melee expert, but that Red creep amount seems a bit overkill, 25 camps? you could easily leash powerful creeps to your enemies bases.
second, While I like those mountains, they seem to repetitive. I know you tried to make the map simetric, but I really don't think simetry is something you have to go for when making a melee map. It works for some maps, and for others it doesn't. And I think it does not work with forests-roads, which is the map you present.
That's just me though, I am going to check how balanced this is, then I will call our expert anyway :p

Level 5
Hi.
It's your opinion and I respect it, but a melee map (Blizzard melee map) is always simetric. I like non simetric melee maps too but it's less balanced.
And 25 red camps = 0 players. ^^
with 12 players = 13 red camps.

Level 3
I am a serious ladder player and i wanted to say thank you so much for the map, i've been looking for 6v6 maps for a while now since my clan is playing the maps on my hostbot like crazy. Might I ask, can you make it that players will spawn 6 down and 6 up? because else enemies will be too close to each other, thanks again!
PS: the item drops are excelent!

Level 5
I am a serious ladder player and i wanted to say thank you so much for the map, i've been looking for 6v6 maps for a while now since my clan is playing the maps on my hostbot like crazy. Might I ask, can you make it that players will spawn 6 down and 6 up? because else enemies will be too close to each other, thanks again!
PS: the item drops are excelent!

Thank you for your comment. ^^

For the spawn, I'm aware of the problem but I can't fix it. It sometimes does the way you said (6 up vs 6 down) but not always, it's random. I could move the left and right gold mines/starting positions down and up to make a distinctive separation that would make the players starting from only one side, but it would cause the AI players to be bugged because they would be too near to the other gold mines and they won't collect gold for Night Elves and Undeads or they will try to collect gold from the gold mines defended by creeps for Humans and Orcs.

Edit : Oh wait I've found a solution/compromise, I will update it when I've finished.
Edit 2 : Done.

Last edited:

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
  1. Although some passes are narrow and might make troops have a hard time fighting, there are also wide spaces.
  2. A 50k gold mine at start while there's another 15k mine in the vicinity?
  3. The enemy might start somewhere near if the suggested players information is not followed. I suggest this map and the triggers in it to avoid this issue and enable the map to be played 1v1 & FFA: Skeletal Coast v1.3
  4. So many Dragon Roosts can be exploited by having a unit get there, buy a dragon, and run with both.
  5. The level 1 four gnoll group give two items; I think it's too much.
  6. Both types of Mercenary Camps have the same unit: the Mud Golem.
  7. Map borders don't look very nice continuing terrain directly with the darkened outer playable map zone (this is not a problem; just saying).
Set to Awaiting Update.

======================================================================
If you want more reviews, come here:
The Grand Review Exchange!

Last edited:
Level 5
  1. Although some passes are narrow and might make troops have a hard time fighting, there are also wide spaces.
  2. A 50k gold mine at start while there's another 15k mine in the vicinity?
  3. The enemy might start somewhere near if the suggested players information is not followed. I suggest this map and the triggers in it to avoid this issue and enable the map to be played 1v1 & FFA: Skeletal Coast v1.3
  4. So many Dragon Roosts can be exploited by having a unit get there, buy a dragon, and run with both.
  5. The level 1 four gnoll group give two items; I think it's too much.
  6. Both types of Mercenary Camps have the same unit: the Mud Golem.
  7. Map borders don't look very nice continuing terrain directly with the darkened outer playable map zone (this is not a problem; just saying).
Set to Awaiting Update.

======================================================================
If you want more reviews, come here:
The Grand Review Exchange!

1. It was intended.
2. Yes and ? It's intended to be like this as well in THIS map.
3. I know how to use triggers but it's a melee map and a melee map has to not have triggers (or maybe you don't know what is a melee map ...). Otherwise it would be an altered melee map or just not a melee map. And would you mention this problem for the BLIZZARD MELEE MAP Friends ? Oh no, because it's Blizzard, ok...
4. Yes and ? You can do that for every camps/dragon roosts in every maps.
5. Ok you think it's too much, I don't think it is and it was intended to be like this.
6. And ? How can it be a problem ?
7. I don't see what you want to say there. It's like this in every Blizzard melee maps.

I just have the feeling that you, moderators, just try to find problems which were not problems because the problems you point out were always what I wanted to do for my maps, because I don't want them to look like others standard boring melee maps, I want them to have an unique gameplay and an unique aspect and to not be played like you play other melee maps.
And for the problems moderators find in my maps, I can find other Blizzard melee maps which have the same "problems" like Friend here or like Adrenaline where you can't rush your opponents which a moderator said it was a problem in my other melee map where you were forced to creep.

Sorry if I look aggressive, you are not, but I'm just too tired that the moderators "find problems" in my maps while the problems they mention were intended and were just not problems, just because it's a melee map and you consider it's easy to do so you have to be so picky.
Anyways, even if it's not for that reason, the problems the moderators find in my maps are not problems for me.

So you can reject it, I will not update it anyway, I'm tired to do maps that moderators don't understand what I wanted to do, that all they say is originally intended.
And I will just stop uploading maps on this site.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
Anyways, even if it's not for that reason, the problems the moderators find in my maps are not problems for me.
That's your problem. You can always ask for another moderator/reviewer to check your map or create a thread in the Staff Contact explaining the "aggression" towards your maps.
And I will just stop uploading maps on this site.
And I will refuse to take part into reviewing any of your future maps if you are so affected.

If you want to create altered melee maps then yes but ladder melee maps should not be filled with advantages and exploits.

Level 5
That's your problem. You can always ask for another moderator/reviewer to check your map or create a thread in the Staff Contact explaining the "aggression" towards your maps.

And I will refuse to take part into reviewing any of your future maps if you are so affected.

If you want to create altered melee maps then yes but ladder melee maps should not be filled with advantages and exploits.

I never said you were aggressive, it's the contrary, you are not. But you and other moderators never understand what I do in my maps and why I did it, that's it.

Where you see advantages and exploits ? really, everyone is equal in the map.

And I never said it was a ladder melee map. A melee map can be a simple funny melee map and not a ladder melee map, nor an alterded melee map. Maybe that's the reason you moderators note maps so badly. Because you want it to look like the way you decided how it has to be but that's not what I want for my maps and you don't understand this.

And I don't want you or any other moderators to take part into reviewing any of my future maps, because I will no longer upload maps on this site. Sadly, I thought it was a good site but I was wrong. And nearly 1 month to review it just to say what you said ? No thanks you.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
Where you see advantages and exploits ?
Players would be forced to check on the Dragon Roosts to make sure their enemy won't get the big dragons before them. You can literally buy 4 dragons with one unit if you have the resources and food ready for it by running from one roost to another.
50k gold for a starting mine is just too much as I've written, especially when there are other mines nearby.

Level 5
Players would be forced to check on the Dragon Roosts to make sure their enemy won't get the big dragons before them. You can literally buy 4 dragons with one unit if you have the resources and food ready for it by running from one roost to another.
50k gold for a starting mine is just too much as I've written, especially when there are other mines nearby.

But everyone can do it, so no, it's not advantages or exploits and you can do it as well in other melee maps.
And everyone has the same gold mine.

Level 5
Shit man, learn to take criticism.

Hey, calm down

I took criticisms, I accept the criticisms

But I replied that I will change nothing because all was intended.

Learn to understand other opinions than your owns, and learn to understand what the map is supposed to be not what YOU want the map to be.

All I said is that the problems moderators find in my maps ARE NOT problems because they are intended. I know what I do, I don't need you to tell me what I did and call it "problems". I will change nothing and I will no longer upload maps on your site. Accept it that's all, like I accept that you don't like the way I made my maps.

Learn to accept other people choices.

Thank you

Bye