• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Creative Writing In Game Design Tutorial

V2.20

Submitted for the Tutorial Contest.

19,000 + words & 41 Ms Word Pages.

TUTORIAL V2.20

Version Log In Tutorial.
Added Stub Custom Maps in Wc3 Tutorial.

.rtf - Rich Text Format, a widely supported text format that a large number of programs can use. notepad can open .rtf files.

Last edited:
Level 19
You expect them to comment on 27000 words in one day, reading from the computer screen?

Anyways, I read the first nine pages and 'till now it seems pretty handy, yet somewhat basic. Also note that a RP (Roleplay) is completely different from a RPG (Roleplaying Game)

Level 20
Edited.

And - Is everyone to scared to comment let alone DL?

Yes, it's a lot of pages... I admire your effort but as Fussiler1 pointed out, some of it just plain obvious or overly complicated - by you - I don't think it needs to be that long, try trimming it down...

Quality > Quantity

Very few people will read that all the way through - We humans hate putting effort into anything ;)

Level 14
I might be posting late, but I WILL BE HEARD! Anyway. I scanned over it and from what I stopped to read it seemed very useful. I must say your ~ Is it a Rip? ~ and some other spots are absolutely halarious. (And I did NOT just read the ~ Is it a Rip? ~ section...) <.< >.>

Level 11
You should make it a .pdf in the future instead of .rtf

It is called Creative Writing in Game Design. However there seems to be a lot about how to write, and what to write, which ultimate will be largely irrelevant in a game, except for dialog (Unless of course this is a text based game).

However once you get past the first chapter, it seems to get into the good stuff, from what I skimmed. "Is it a Rip?" is amusing :D

Also in the Warcraft III section, a while ago Blizzard increased the maximum map size for B.net to 8mb, the section says 4.

Anyways nice work. :)

Level 7
Oh, wow. I read through this whole thing. I really loved it. It was absolutely fantastic, imo. This is the type of thing that needs to be set out in order to create an interesting and fantastic story. I am very tired of seeing the whole "The zombies entered the city." when a quality effort in that sentence would make it "The wretched flesh and bone creatures ravaged through the city while violently scratching at any resistance." I honestly, as a mod maker and game developer am very intrigued by this.. more of a resource than a tutorial. But still, a very good amount of effort was put into this. Quality work!

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
I think this was posted in the wrong tutorial section. The only references I found were to WC3 so it has been moved appropiatly. I guess that some of the ideas in it could apply to both.

I advise publishing it as a .pdf file for ease of access. Also the use of page breaks causes it to mess up on wide screens that support viewing 2 pages at once (in Word).

I doubt there will be need to do that.

Also, i am rewriting this, thus again, irrelevant, a properly organized PDF will do, which i can handle on my own.

(WOW, I love commas!)

(I'm updating it to reflect new understanding/modern advances in theory.)

I also know enough HTML/Javascript/CSS to manage something like that myself, thanks for the offer.