• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Creating "simple" Altered Melee with new XP Leveling System + More

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
I will be posting a public version of my map for download soon, but right now I am only sharing "beta" versions with people who I talk to directly. I am looking for map testers who enjoy playing Standard Melee. You do not have to be pro to enjoy my map, but my map is not much different from Standard play. I have been hosting games on Bnet the past week, and occasionally get people playing from my clan.

My map is called Big Game Hunters, and it is currently based on Twisted Meadows, though I plan on transferring it to other maps too.

I am working on a new Level System for Heroes where they gain XP much faster and can Level-Up very high, while also being a bit less powerful. All Hero Spells and Ability stats have been decreased to accommodate the faster Leveling System. This means that a Level 3 hero in BGH is not much stronger than a normal Level 1 Hero in Standard Melee, and a Level 10 hero in BGH is about the same as a level 6 Hero in Standard Melee.

I feel like my new leveling system is really good in theory, but I know my actual #s need some work, many heroes get too strong after Level 10 but I am working on improving things, and since I am new at this I realize too many changes will make things worse. I want to try and keep things as close to the Standard Melee playstyle, but I have actually added quite a lot of other things :)

I've always imagined what a WC4 or new WC3 expansion would look like, and I'm hoping the answer is a WC3 Remastered!! but in the meantime, I want to make a custom map in a style that creates a new form of meta, out of the old melee playstyle.

Currently, I am trying different things but like I say I don't want to do too much. But I decided with the higher hero levels, there should also be bigger armies. I have not changed much, but what I did was increase the rate at which workers harvest resources. Thats where the name BGH came from, was a map from SC1 which I used to play a version of back in the days of WC2!! It's not much, but it definitely throws balance out the window lol!

It can be fun though, if you have 2 equally skilled players. Obviously if a highly skilled player will not think my map is very fun, but I have tried to make this rather "noob friendly" in the sense that harrasing is a lot less over powered, heros like a BM can not so easily walk up to peons and Crit strike them anymore (at least not early game).

This is not all that I have done, there are a few surprises in store, and I have a lot of plans for things I want to add. If this sounds at all like something you would be interested in helping with, I would love to have a partner who could help out with triggers, or balancing, or anything really. I'm a melee player so keeping this balanced is my #1 goal, I want it to be something people can actually enjoy :)

Last edited:
Level 6
Hey sup :)

I have added a few other little things. Each hero has some new spells, I didnt create anything drastically different. Basically, all heros can now use blink (it costs 100 mana and has a long cooldown) this is mainly for helping players who accidentally get there heros trapped between trees or whatever. Its not a spell that levels up like the wardens blink, its just a level 1 blink. I also added cloud to each hero (again its not much) it helps to prevent mass tower rushing without being overpowered (most people dont even use it) and I added some different attribute bonus upgrades for boosting hero stats a little more but again, its nothing too overpowered. Im thinking about adding a few more but, I dont want to get too crazy with things. I also added 2 new heros too each race, but they are not very unique at the moment

There is another big feature though, that I am trying to get finished up so I can post the maps finally :)

I've gotten the balancing of heros pretty decent (i think) i know it could use more work but I'm happy with it in its current "beta" state, and hopefully will be ready to release a public "demo" soon which I will keep working on before calling it final. I've played wc3 long enough to understand balance (i think) but I know everybody has different opinions so, obviously my new setup isnt perfect but it is interesting and if enough people enjoy I will try to perfect it!!

Level 6
this is an old thread you replied to, the link is posted in my signature ;)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.