• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Looking for help with a new project - Need Terrainer + Maybe more? (Reforged latest patch)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uncle

Warcraft Moderator
Level 64
Hello fellow Hivers, I've helped others with their projects over the last couple of years but I've never actually gotten around to creating a project of my own. I figure it's about time I actually released something and I think I may have a concept that is worth making.

TL/DR:
I need a terrainer for a Left 4 Dead inspired map. I will do ALL of the coding.
I'm open to ideas about the game and any input on game design.
Also, if you have other skills and are interested in the project then let me know.

--- The Project ---
Everything written here is subject to change, especially the names of things

Name: OverQuest

Genre: Co-operative ARPG/RTS?

Concept: Two teams chosen at the start of the game face off against each other, the Adventurers vs the Overseer. The Adventurers consist of 4 players who each control a single hero and will work together in order to progress through campaign levels in an ARPG fashion. The Overseer is controlled by a single player (ideally it could be AI controlled as well) who has a more RTS oriented experience, overlooking the entire level from a bird's eye view and doing everything in their power to thwart the Adventurers. So the Adventurers would be trying to finish the level while the Overseer summons minions, casts dark magic, and does everything in their power to sabotage them. The map is heavily inspired by Left 4 Dead but I want to push the genre into uncharted territory.

Levels:
The gameplay would take place in several levels that are contained inside a single campaign. The Adventurers would be making their way through these levels, but not necessarily in a Point A to Point B fashion. I imagine each level having unique objectives that the Adventurers must accomplish in order to progress, and due to limited map space and how the game would play out, these objectives would force players into certain sections of the level for periods of time. I like the idea of having primary objectives that must be met in order to progress and secondary objectives that offer risk/reward.

Some objective examples:
Primary: Rescue and lead 10 villagers back to safety.
Secondary (tied to the Primary objective): If not a single villager dies then each Adventurer is rewarded with a random item.
Secondary (completely optional): Find little Susie's teddy bear to earn 50 extra gold.

The goal here is to get the Adventurers to explore the entirety of each level as well as introducing fun and exciting gameplay mechanics. I want to avoid point A to point B gameplay, players will not be able to just skip to the end of the level.

Adventurers:
The Adventurer's Heroes are chosen at the start of the game from a selection screen similar to those of fighting games (Custom UI will be used throughout this game). Heroes will have a custom inventory system, a passive skill tree progression system, and other features that will allow them to customize their experience throughout the match. A skill swapping system would be available so that a Hero could mix and match between many different skills, essentially customizing their loadout (probably restricted so that you can only swap skills during transitions between levels). My current idea for experience/hero leveling is to share EXP between all Heroes so that they're always on equal footing. The gameplay for heroes would be similar to your standard MOBA experience.

Overseer:
The Overseer is similar to the Dungeon Master if you've ever played DND. But the Overseer doesn't actually control their own units, that's handled by the AI, they're more like a commander that watches the battle from a safe distance. That being said, they still have plenty to do. The Overseer earns and spends resources in order to spawn in more minions (demons/undead/monsters), cast dark magic to either empower their minions or debilitate the enemy Adventurers, and interact with the levels in a unique way. All of the minions/magic spells are upgradeable, so expect A LOT of customization and strategy here. A good Overseer will know the Adventurer's weaknesses and exploit them, for example, casting a poison cloud on the Adventurers when they've cornered themselves or upgrading a minion that is strong against the Adventurer's Hero choices.

Summary of what to expect:
  • Custom UI
  • Custom Abilities
  • Great attention to detail/polish (this won't look like your standard Warcraft 3 map)
  • Coded entirely in C# -> Home · Orden4/WCSharp Wiki
  • Unique gameplay (Adventurers / Overseers play much differently)
  • Systems to prevent leavers from ruining the game (Team switching/AI)
  • Hopefully beautiful terrain (That's where you come in!)
  • Taking advantage of Reforged and everything the latest patches have to offer
  • Save and load system for tracking wins/losses/profile stuff like special icons/tags
  • Ideally it would be SD compatible but it's not a priority

So if anyone is interested in terraining or maybe something else (art?) please let me know! My discord: uncle#4859
Also, the terrain would be a reflection of the level design, so you would also be a level designer to a certain extent.

Here's what I have to show after a few days of work. Note that I'm currently designing the systems and in order to test them out properly I need to play as both an Adventurer AND the Overseer, that's why it may look a little weird. It's also extremely early in the design.

Edit: I haven't been working on the map as some things have come up and my overall motivation to work with Warcraft 3 degrades day by day. If anyone ever ends up interested in working on this project then I would most likely find the motivation again. But until then I have to be honest and say that I'm close to giving up on this game entirely. Warcraft 3's bugs/limitations are quite a deterrent and the lack of attention from the devs is just disheartening. I'm sure I'll get the itch to resume work again at some point in the future, especially after a big patch (one can dream), but until then I'll put this on the backburner.

Last edited:
Level 14
There is a SC2 map that follows that concepts and uses WC3 assets.
I suggest you research it and play it for knowing what works, what does not and how to make your project different.
It was possibly named "dungeon master" or something like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.