• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Creating 'Channel' buff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
Alright, now it has been a long time since I have managed on my map, and am working to fix it up.

My current issue is that I try to use the 'Channel' ability to provide a buff (Ability) to a unit, though regardless of how I apply it, the 'buff' icon does not appear on the units nameplate bar area, nor does any of the 'buff' animations play. It's almost as if the ability isn't there at all.

Any idea how to remedy this?

TL;DR:
How can I get the 'Channel' ability to not display an ability icon on the loadout, but provide a buff on the target. (Currently trying to use the trigger to add the channel 'buff' ability after being hit by another ability.)

Level 12
Only some specific abilities give buffs to units. The best way to give buffs to a unit is using auras. Just make them have a range of 0 and only 'Self' in the 'Targets allowed' field of the Object Editor. Then, add your desired buff to the aura's 'Buffs' field. Also, make sure that you change the auras' data fields so that they don't actually have any effect.

If you need a debuff (red name), you can use a custom ability based on Slow Aura (Tornado) in the Neutral Passive/Units folder. This ability does not add an icon to the unit's command panel, so adding the ability to the unit will effectively just give the unit a buff.

If you need a buff (green name), you can use a custom ability based on Spell Book in the Special/Items folder. You must the make a custom UNIT (not hero) ability based on any aura (Command Aura, Devotion Aura, etc.) and add that to your custom spellbook. Then, at the start of your map, use the following action:
  • Player Group - Pick every player in (All players) and do (Actions)
    • Loop - Actions
      • Player - Disable Spell Book for (Picked player)
Instead of Spell Book, disable your custom ability based on Spell Book. This will make it have no icon in the unit's command panel, but the aura ability will still be active when you add the spell book ability to the unit. This way, adding the custom spell book ability will effectively just give the unit the buff.

Channel does not apply buffs.

You either have to
add an auras to the target only affecting it self
(like _Guhun_ told, except for newer versions of warcraft 3 there is a better way to hide the ability by giving the passive the button position X = 0 & y = -11)
sideeffect of this aura buff placing is that you have to manage dispelling yourself.​
or let a hidden dummy caster cast a spell with a buff on the target.

To type in negative numbers you have to hold "shift" when opening the field to edit, also you mght need to set a checkbox in preferences.

Status
Not open for further replies.