• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Creating abyss ? What is recommend ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

Hello,

I was about creating an abyss, but how do I do this ?

In the screenshot you can see the current look ( of course, not finished), but I am not sure whether this is the best solution.

Something else I had in my mind, I think APproject used to create abyss with 'removing' the terrain completely at the point of the abyss, meaning it is under the lowest cliff level ( or whatsoever).
Is this a better solution ?

I am aware that my cliffs look unnatural at the moment :)

Are there any other recommendations ?

Last edited by a moderator:

Deleted member 238589

D

Deleted member 238589

Use 'lowering' tool to make a hole, cover it's top edges by using rocks or whatever suits you, and just make the bottom black.

You can find an example in this template. If I remember correctly, there are holes just like the ones I described, but using lava at the bottom. They're smaller, but it'll help you understand.

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

Use 'lowering' tool to make a hole, cover it's top edges by using rocks or whatever suits you, and just make the bottom black.

You can find an example in this template. If I remember correctly, there are holes just like the ones I described, but using lava at the bottom. They're smaller, but it'll help you understand.

I think I know what you mean. As I mentioned, APproject uses the same method, I think, so I know what you mean, thank you!

SO this is more recommend ? I could imagine it looks more natural, but I think it is way more difficult to create.

Deleted member 238589

D

Deleted member 238589

It's not really that difficult. Study the template I've shown you, turn it upside down, see how it's made, and you'll get it eventually.

Level 14
I believe APproject uses the alpha tile to basically make the terrain transparent. If you don't want to do that, however, you could use this fade cube model and change the color to black. Then just change the size to make it fit where you want it. The smaller the z value is the denser it looks. You can also place a couple on top of one another to make it look darker too.

Here is an example of what it can look like
199238-albums5859-picture98946.png

Attachments

• FadeCube.mdx
    4.1 KB · Views: 66

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

Wow, this looks great! I think I am going to use this solutuon, thank you very much!
It looks quite impressing!

Level 14
No problem. I prefer this solution to the alpha tile for things like an abyss or you could use the white one for making it appear like you are on top of a mountain or something too. I have also used them on their sides to make cave entrances that fade into darkness. Just set the Art- Maximum Pitch Angle to -1.57 (hold shift when double clicking the field to allow negative values)

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

Wow, I see it has a very wide use. I am going to make use of this very often.
Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.