• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Creating a skin from scratch?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
What are you trying to skin?
Is it a custom model? A preexisting model?

You are going to need several basic programs to effectively skin;
1.) Image Editing software (Photoshop, Gimp)
2.) BLP -> TGA Converter
3.) Warcraft 3 Viewer (so you can see if you're doing it right)

I'd suggest viewing:
2D Art Tutorials
---Particularly
-----Custom Skins Tutorial
-----Importing Custom Skins

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

If you're going to apply a skin to a model that does not have a skin you have to edit the model to use that skin.

256x256 or 512x512 are good image sizes, basically any multiply of 256x256 (which is default size).

What you need to do is make a wrap for the model (if it doesn't already have one, but if it is so that there is no skin for it, then there probably is no wrap for it either, and if it was we do not have it, or do not know we have it, so you'd need to make a new wrap anyway in order to get your skin to fit correctly), to get more help on that you need to ask modellers, I only do textures.

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

I suggest you to read some tutorials about how to start modelling/skinning for totally newbies. A skin is a wc3 texture, you can paint and then save. A model is a figure, you make with any modelling programs, and then import it to wc3. You cant find an image on google and then import it, and whupti, its a model.

Oh so that's why my Chuck Norris model doesn't work.. aaaaah!

Status
Not open for further replies.