• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Spell] Creating a Bear-Formed base ability that increases caster's base damage scaling with Intelligence?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
Hello all,

Today I'm working on something that I'm struggling with.

I have a character that I'm calling the Artificer (model is a Gnoll with a Crossbow), and I want them to have a toggle-able ability (based on the Bear Form ability) that has the following effects:

1) Changes the projectile to the Flying Machine's rocket (done)

2) Changes the damage type to magic from piercing (done)

3) Increases the caster's base damage by an amount equal to their intellect

4) Adds a small amount of AOE splash damage to each attack (not done, but I think I know how to do this)

5) Drains mana per attack (not done, but I tentatively think I know how to do this)

I tried adding a trigger that fires when the ability (called Eldritch Cannon) is activated; it was meant to increase the triggering unit's base damage by a variable that was previously set to be the caster's intellect.

Unfortunately, this didn't do anything. My guess is that the unit that the caster morphs into is not considered the triggering unit.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Level 21
3) Increases the caster's base damage by an amount equal to their intellect

• Actions
    • Unit - Set Base Damage of (Triggering unit) to ((Base Damage of (Triggering unit) for weapon index 0) + (Intelligence of (Triggering unit) (Exclude bonuses))) for weapon index: 0

4) for splash damage - pick all units within X range of attacked unit and make attacking unit do Y damage to them.

5)

• Actions
    • Unit - Set mana of (Attacked unit) to ((Mana of (Attacked unit)) - 1.00)
    • Unit - Set mana of (Attacking unit) to ((Mana of (Attacking unit)) + 1.00)

Last edited:
Level 4
@Ender Wiggins thank you for your comment.

I had previously tried your solution to part 3) and it didn't work, but I retried it, and your comment gave me the idea to add a 0.05 second wait before the base damage increase, and that got it working!

I did figure out parts 4 and 5 as well using a different method; I try to avoid using the "unit is attacked" event because I believe it triggers when the attacking unit starts its attack animation, which is a problem in case the attack is interrupted.

I ended up using the "unit notices a target within range" trigger, which may as well be renamed "unit attacks," and it seems to work fine.

For the splash damage, I added and hid the Item Fire Orb ability when the toggle-able Bear Form ability is active.

Thank you very much again!

Edit: if anyone could let me know how to edit the post to say that it's solved, I would greatly appreciate that. I don't see an option to edit the title in the "edit post" option.

Status
Not open for further replies.