• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Solved] Create Image at Point

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 10
Hello folks,
I'm rather new to Galaxy Editor. I need help finding a certain trigger action.

What I am looking for is an action that lets me create an image (preferably .blp, but I accept others, too) at a certain point.
You know, there was an action that did this in War3:

• Image - Create an image using war3mapImported\image.blp of size 256.00 at Temp_Point with Z offset 0.00 using image type Indicator
  • Image - Change (Last created image): Enable render always state
I figured, Sc2 must have such an action, too, but yet, I cannot find such a thing.

[What I DID find was an action that creates an image at a certain point of the UI, but it will follow my camera, ofc. So using this, there could be a workaround to simulate that the sprite/image is at a point by having it wander the UI acordingly (using X & Y-Offset).]
But I would like to avoid that. As I said above, there must be a simple function for this, like in War3.

Help plz. +rep inc.

Level 10
all visuals are actors. you can use an splat actor. what exactly are you planning to do with this image? (what creates it, what does it, what destroys it)

ah, ok, I thought so.
I want to make a 2d game, basically. With animations. Sprites, if you will.

By switching throug sprites, animations are 'simulated', like in Starcraft 1, Warcraft 1&2 etc. Sth like this:
marinez.png

Now, I made a trigger system to do exactly this in Warcraft 3, and it worked. In Warcraft 3, I made the triggers create .blp images at the position of the units. Every 0.1 sec all images would be destroyed while the new images, acording to the unit's state, would be created (depending on weather a unit walks, attacks etc).

Now, I wanted to replicate the triggers into Starcraft 2, but there is no trigger action to create an image at a point.

Seeing how actors might be inevitable in this, my main question right now is:

Main Question:
''How can I give an actor a 2d model, using an imported image??''

I hope someone can answer it, because I have all the sprites ready, thousands of images, it will make an entire new game. But enough bragging, hope someone helps, +rep guaranteed ツ

Level 9
now i get what you wanna do. this can be done with dialogs. just create a dialog and a dialogitem of type image and move it to the right spot. hide background and you are done. the hard part will be to "find" the right spot but you will notice yourself.
(with decal actors you can create an image on the terrain)

Level 10
To "find the right spot," you can simply use the Attach Dialog to Unit action.

can you, or someone else, please upload a simple testmap demonstrating this with any image? That would really help. (also don't use HotS please, I don't have it).

P.S. : I've been trying what Nebuli and Muhahahahaaa said, but I can't seem to get it right yet, too inexperienced with Galaxy as of yet.

Edit: It must be sth about the Attach Dialog to Unit action... (I attached to a pre-place Marine, chest) The dialog was there, but it doesn't move.

EDIT II: NEVER MIND, people, I figured it out. I had to set the Dialog to a Variable in order for the Attach Dialog to Unit action to work. You all really helped me out a lot with your advice. +rep ツ

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.