• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Crash In Game after Animation Transfer, works in viewer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 13
I've been transfering the Villager (40anims) Animations to a few different models in the hopes of using them in my game. A couple have transfered fine so far.

However I have a few models that as far as opening them up in model viewer and following the right steps seem to work fine, but when I try them in Warcraft 3 they fatal error.

Let me explain my steps

I take the model and convert it to mdl using Yogbul's file converter.

I've done the same thing with the villager animations.

I open up Oinerwinkle's Anim Transfer and do a full conversion from the base model to add all the villager animations to it.

I convert that using Yogbuls to a mdx.

I also check for any problems by opening it up in Magos War3 Model Editor to see if things are fine. I don't save. Everything looks good.

But when I put it in War3, crash.

I'll upload the mdxs and textures here in hopes that someone can help me.

The particular units are the Stormreaver Grunt in the models section and the Female Orc (Watcher) in the models section.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5536575/MaleOrcCaster.mdx

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5536575/FemaleOrcHero.mdx

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5536575/StormreaverNecrolyte.blp

Attachments

• femaleorc.blp
    15.5 KB · Views: 62
it may be a problem with geosetAnims or bones assigned to geosets which don't belong. I just did a fast parse that's what i got. I suggest you check the structure of the model before transfering animations and afterwards.

EDIT: In MaleOrcCaster GeosetAnim for Geosetid 3 is repeated, try removing one and order then ascending by geosetId.

Level 13
If it's bones asigned to geosets that don't belong, do I simply remove those bones? If so, how do I detect said bones?

If it's geosetAnims, well not sure what to do.

If you could explain to me how to fix these errors I could attempt to do that, and any time I have this problem in the future I could fix them easily.
Afraid my model skills are still fairly novice, though I have played around with some parts.
Would I simply compare nodes and delete all bone/helper nodes that are not the same between models?
I know these models work fine in game before transfer.

Thanks!

If it's bones asigned to geosets that don't belong, do I simply remove those bones? If so, how do I detect said bones?

If it's geosetAnims, well not sure what to do.

If you could explain to me how to fix these errors I could attempt to do that, and any time I have this problem in the future I could fix them easily.
Afraid my model skills are still fairly novice, though I have played around with some parts.
Would I simply compare nodes and delete all bone/helper nodes that are not the same between models?

Thanks!

It can only be fixed through old Methods like editing the MDL by hand. Few are the tutorials that teach that. If it's the bones, you need to open the mdl and look for which bones point to which geosets and find out which are the real geosets that should be there and which isn't. It's a quite advanced method but sadly is the only way around.

I suggest you fix that lil problem i found on geosetanims (Just look for which geosetanim points twice to the same geoset and delete one) This can be done in Magos' Tool. Try that out first and if it doesn't work you will have to edit the MDL manualy (this can be tought).

Level 13
Ah I found nd removed and reordered anything that called GeosetId 3 for the Male Orc Caster past the first geosetAnim for GeosetID 3 but it doesn't seem to have fixed it. Also tried a few fixes with the Female Orc, removing bones that the animations didn't seem to be using and renaming bones before transfer.

Unfortunately these didn't fix either one, perhaps because I messed something up or there's more problems. Not sure.

I do appreciate the help though. I just wish I knew how to fix whatever was messed up in transfer. Or perhaps I'm not doing the recommended steps right.

Status
Not open for further replies.