• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Could someone help me with a template?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
Hey Hive, could anyone make this image: http://i.imgur.com/biTcznC.png into a 256x256 Warcraft 3 map? Like a template. I really suck at using the terrain editor, so i would appreciate some help. :3
I will upload this map (with my additions) here on the hive, and i will of course give you credit for the terrain. :)

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
You may want to provide more mapping details as I doubt anything I generate will be what you want.

1. The image is not 256*256.
2. Make a grey scale terrain height map of what you want.
3. Make a grey scale water height map of what you want.

As far as translation goes, white goes to maximum height and black to minimum.
I can use 16 bit grey scale images for higher quality height map generation but be aware some of the least significant bits may be lost due to WC3 mechanic restrictions.

Level 3
Well, i just want a rough template. So no cliffs or "hights". WIth rough i mean, just grass and water. Water can be watever, aslong as its 2deep. (so you cant see the bottom)
Im verry bad at explaining things but.. i hope you get what i mean.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Mine exactly reflects the image as far as his specifications went. I re-shaped the canvas for the image to 2000*2000 before down sampling to 257*257, the size of the node map he wanted. Finally I recolored the image so that water was black (0 height) and land was white (max height).

After some quick hacking around of various pieces of java code I wrote, I made it convert the image into data inside a blank w3e file from a new map of that size.

Level 3
Thank you guys so much, both looks amazing. :)
@Dr Super Good: How can i in the easiest possible way lower the "land" bacause right now it is very high from the water.

Basically, you can inport an image into warcraft 3 WE wich will in someway convert into terrain? This sounds really hard.. hah

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
That was why I asked for a more detailed specification...

Hopefully this is low enough for you... I also raised the height of the sea bed.

Basically, you can inport an image into warcraft 3 WE wich will in someway convert into terrain? This sounds really hard.. hah
To some extent. WarCraft III uses 14 bit height precision for both water and terrain node data. This means that for maximum quality a 16 bit/channel image format is required (not something you encounter often). It does work with only 8 bit/channel (eg, jpeg) but you lose 6 bits of precision which is not optimum for fine gradients. Obviously only 2 channels would be needed but producing such files becomes more difficult.

It is probably best to stay away from multi-purpose images (where each channel contains different data) as there is a lot of fields per node. This makes grey scale the best format to specify node attributes on a map wide scale.

Attachments

• MFS.w3x
    88.4 KB · Views: 68
Status
Not open for further replies.