• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Copyrights for Wc3 custom game concepts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 15
We are having a project course later next semester where we are supposed to create a game, and I am going to pitch for porting or making something similar to a warcraft 3 custom map, and I thought Mad Balls Arena was a good scope for this project.

I know that blizzard own the artwork, sound, etc. But what about the concept? does Mad[LioN] have a claim on the doodge ball arena concept - what can and can't we do?

I don't think he is contactable, but I could be wrong.

For the sake of argument, let's say there are two scenarios (1) we create the game solely for educational purposes or (2) we try to monetize it. What difference does it make regarding his copyrights.

Level 19
For the sake of argument, let's say there are two scenarios (1) we create the game solely for educational purposes or (2) we try to monetize it. What difference does it make regarding his copyrights.
btw you can't do 2nd as is in wc3. it's against eula, if you do care, so you cannot directly monetize anything. but donations possible anytime, anywhere

Level 29
As far as I understood, this is a standalone game, not a Warcraft 3 map, so the choice of monetizing or not has to do with whatever tools you are using, and whatever licenses they come with.

If this is a Warcraft 3 map, or you are planning to use any kind of resources from the game in your own game (e.g. models), then it will be illegal to monetize it, or in the latter case, even use their resources in the first place (but chances are no one will care if the game is free).

The word you are looking for is "intellectual property". This basicly means that all lore, names, characters and visual design is protected by law. However, this does not apply to gameplay mechanics.
You can copy gameplay mechanics freely if you apply a different artistic design and create your own lore (and use your own art or art that you are legally allowed to use).

So, no, you could create a perfect replica of an existing game and even monetize it as long as you create your own art, lore and visual design for it.

This is why there are so many Dota clones out there or so many tower defense mobile games. Gameplay os not protected by IP. And even patents can only protect algorithms and chunks of code. If you write your own code, do not use the wc3 world editor and create your own art, you are 100% legal.

Keep in mind that names might be protected by IP too. So I wouldnt use the same name for your game.

Status
Not open for further replies.