• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Copy Glitch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 19
Hey im trying to copy units, but whenever i do, they end up as a broken file, u cant use em in game. Is there a ways to fix?

Level 4
Okay, I had that problem at first too.

This is what you need to do.
1. (Inside data editor) Find the unit you want to copy, and right click on it.
2. Choose "Duplicate Object" and a window pops up.
3. Now check all check boxes in the window that popped up, and click OK. (Now you can change everything about it without modifying the original unit too.)
4. Make sure "Show Object Explorer" is checked by looking in the "View" drop-down list.
5. Select the copied unit, and then select the units actor found inside the Actors folder in the Object Explorer.
6. Now on the right list, look at the very top, and then to the right of "unitName". You should see the name of your unit. Right-click that name and choose Modify Value.
7. Now just find the name of your created unit, probably just the original name with "copy" after. Select it and press OK.

That should do it. ^^

Level 3
I was having the actors problem too.

I don't know if this is the proper way to go about it, but what I did was this:

1. Go to the Actors tab in the data editor and duplicate whatever model you want to use. (I used Baneling in the example). PICTURE

2. Assign the [copied/duplicated] actor to the [copied] unit. PIC. 1 / PIC. 2

3. Check the copied unit to see if the actor was propperly linked. PICTURE

Hope this helps!

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
People are confused again as usual...

It is all actors must have a unit. The base class of a unit is an actor not a unit like WC3. Yes the unit class handles its game stats and everything, but it actually is a field of the unit actor (probably bi directional relationship).

As such you need to actually copy the actor with the unit (make 2 new data pieces) inorder for it to work. Otherwise you end up with a unit which is not linked to by any actor.

To do this, start off selecting a unit to copy. Then right click and choose duplicate. All that has to be done here is choose the fields you do not want this new unit to share with the base unit. Out of habbit you should automatically choose to duplicate all actors. Additionally I advise fields like weapons and effects as I doubt you want your unit using the same attack as the base (shared with the base).

Status
Not open for further replies.