• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Convert Grom to Chaos Grom Spell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 16
Playing around with custom hero editing, so bare with me.

I am making an Ultimate ability. I started by customizing the Spell "Chemical Rage" from the Goblin Alchemist. Everything I want works fine, but I want to also have the animation of Grom turn into the chaos orc when I switch him to the chaos version.

I am not sure how to do this using triggers. I know its something like:
  • ConvertGromToChaos
    • Events
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Animation - Play Grom's Stand First animation
      • Animation - Queue Grom's stand second animation
      • Animation - Queue Grom's stand third animation
I want it so everytime I click his Ult it does the animation when he transforms, and then converts back to the regular Grom when the Ult timer has ended.

Last edited:
Level 16
Fledermaus said:
First, to allow for the duration of the animations, you'll need to change the "Duration - Normal" fields in the ability to at least 5 seconds. (This will result in him staying red for another 5 seconds at the end of the transformation but you'll just have to deal with that =/)
Second, you will need a Unit variable to store the transforming unit in, I called mine GromTempUnit. This is only required because of the wait (which is required so we can queue the animations, they're weird like that in Spell Events).

Here's a trigger
  • ConvertGromToChaos
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit Starts the effect of an ability
    • Conditions
      • (Ability being cast) Equal to Chemical Rage //Replace this with your ability
    • Actions
      • Custom script: set udg_GromTempUnit = GetTriggerUnit()
      • Wait 0.00 seconds
      • Animation - Play GromTempUnit's stand first animation
      • Animation - Queue GromTempUnit's stand second animation
      • Animation - Queue GromTempUnit's stand third animation
Cool, Here is what I got: ("Duration - Normal" fields in the ability is set 2.5 seconds.)
  • ConvertGromToChaos
    • Events
    • Conditions
      • (Ability being cast) Equal to Grom's Rage
    • Actions
      • Wait 0.00 seconds
      • Animation - Queue Grom Hellscream 0000 <gen>'s stand second animation
      • Animation - Queue Grom Hellscream 0000 <gen>'s stand third animation
The new problem I have is what if Grom isn't created yet, such as needs to be created from an Alter first.

Last edited:
Level 16
Anitarf said:
You shouldn't use a preset unit in your trigger, you need to use a unit variable, same as Fledermaus did in his example. Go to the variable editor (the green X icon at the top of your trigger editor) and create a new unit variable named GromTempUnit, then make your trigger match the example that Fledermaus wrote.

Edit: Although I think this would work without the variable if you used "triggering unit" directly, but this is a good opportunity to learn about variables if you are not familiar with them yet so might as well use them.

I was not, that's why I removed it in the first place, so thank you. its always a fun learning experience.

Metamorphosis. Just look at the regular DH , his ult is exactly what you want, you just need to change the unit types

No that's a different ult that I used to use. You are incorrect. it gives HP not haste

Level 17
You would do that by.
  • Animation - Add the alternate animation tag to Grom Hellscream <gen>
However that won't work because grom's forms are separate models unlike illidan/druid forms.
Your only option is to edit the model and use eat tree to change its texture into chaos grom, or use metamorphosis .. or swap the units.

Level 16
You would do that by.
  • Animation - Add the alternate animation tag to Grom Hellscream <gen>
However that won't work because grom's forms are separate models unlike illidan/druid forms.
Your only option is to edit the model and use eat tree to change its texture into chaos grom, or use metamorphosis .. or swap the units.
What?

the spell I am currently using works fine, the trigger is needed to make the animation work.
the metamorph spell doesn't do the spell exactly how i want it to work, however the one I am using does. So what are you trying to explain to me?

Check out the current map below, I think its working, just need help with the delay if possible.
  • ConvertGromToChaos
    • Events
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Wait 0.00 seconds
      • Animation - Queue GromTempUnit's stand second animation
      • Animation - Queue GromTempUnit's stand third animation

Attachments

• GromsRageTest3.w3x
    7.9 KB · Views: 55
Level 16
Sorry to resurrect this topic, But I have another question concerning it

First, I am using this is a New possible campaign, so I was wanting to know:
After the spell is finished, I want to reverse the animations. similar to the last orc mission in RoC)
here is what I got, but I still suck at GUI:
  • Grom finishes Rage
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit Finishes casting an ability
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Wait 0.00 seconds
      • Animation - Play GromTempUnit's stand third animation, using only Common animations
      • Animation - Play GromTempUnit's stand fourth animation, using only Common animations
      • Animation - Queue GromTempUnit's stand animation
      • Animation - Change GromTempUnit blend time to 0.00

Level 12
...What the hell. Why not just when you need Grom to convert into Chaos Grom, just add the Chaos (Grom) ability to him...

Or use Chaos ability in general. If you don't want the stat changes, make a copy of Grom, add the Alternate animation tag to it in the Object Editor, then add that ability...

Level 12
If the Fel version had the 2nd morph animation then just adding alternate would work but since both morphing and reverting is in the normal Grom model it won't work without trigger.

Status
Not open for further replies.