• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Concept Creation: Faragor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 12
Hello there! Some time ago, I got into the whole thing of fantasy world and epic stories. Well, not surprisingly, I had a go of creating one myself!

Now I know creating fantasy worlds is to some, a bore, but to others a challenge or a passion. But it is by no means, to all, easy. I have only laid out the simple foundations, technically just the shape, of the continents. I have yet to decide upon names for places, nor kingdoms and such. I have drawn them on A4 paper with pencil and scanned them onto my laptop.

image15t.jpg

Yes. I know. It's very light. The reason is because I'm in a very early stage of planning so I wanted to make the pencil marks light. And yes, it's incomplete. I've only done the western side of it. Does anyone know how to make the old-map effect?

Feel free to correct or criticize!

And another thing, I was looking at some famous historical cities, Troy to be specific. I'm slightly confused. The Greeks wanted to capture Troy because Paris stole away Helen. So it Troy part of an empire? Or is it considered to be a city by itself, if so, did it owe it's allegiance to no one?

that's a good few islands! I personally rather prefer to use large continents with some islands in gulfs or off the coast because I absolutely hate any kind of sea travel personally. It's just cooler on foot/horse/whatever. However, that's some pretty sweet geographic shapes and shit going on, it looks very good. Just remember that to create a really good world you miiiight just have to go and think of a name for almost every island, gulf, bay, "important" landmark etc, which in your case would be a lot of naming. Another reason why I like continents better :)

on the troy thing, as I understand it, Greek city states kind of ruled themselves, but at that point, Agamemnon had "taken over" the city states. Troy itself wasn't actually a greek city state (I think? since it's in turkey) and so the story goes that the Greek city states went together and attacked it. So far as I know, I may be completely wrong

Level 14
Your drawing style is cool.

There is much to talk about maping and creating worlds. For me there are two basic rules I go for:

1) All the islands, large or small must be able when put together to create one island. Usually that gives sense of realism to the world. Because that's how Earth evolved. It started out as one continent, and than the tectonic plates moved and created the Atlantic Ocean, Pacific Ocean, and all the current continents. As it is know, currently ASIA is moving towards America. But it's not required, but for me it does give a sense of realism and the world map just looks much more natural.

2) You just need to go environment-race theme. For example... Sand Desert and Undead... or Ice Desert and Snow Elves... or Woodlands and Humans. All these can be random. It can be Sand Desert and Humans... but usually I just go for a fitting, yet different and interesting combination.

Level 12
1) All the islands, large or small must be able when put together to create one island. Usually that gives sense of realism to the world. Because that's how Earth evolved. It started out as one continent, and than the tectonic plates moved and created the Atlantic Ocean, Pacific Ocean, and all the current continents. As it is know, currently ASIA is moving towards America. But it's not required, but for me it does give a sense of realism and the world map just looks much more natural.

I hadn't really thought of that! Although I do prefer my islands to be more random in as many ways possible, that idea is pretty cool as well.

2) You just need to go environment-race theme. For example... Sand Desert and Undead... or Ice Desert and Snow Elves... or Woodlands and Humans. All these can be random. It can be Sand Desert and Humans... but usually I just go for a fitting, yet different and interesting combination.

I haven't thought of what biomes I want but there is a rough idea of what and where. Basically, what you see now is the developed world. The unknown world has been discovered but not explored

Level 12
Sorry for double posting, I just wanted to share some written material I had just come up with a couple of minutes ago. The History of Dragonslaying.

Yes, the names in the history is very cliche such as the Tower of Dragonslaying and Caranior, all of which I plan to revise when I have the time to. But it gives a very brief and vague understanding of how dragonslaying came to be, and how I plan to write my chronologies.

Attachments

• The History of Dragonslaying.zip
    12 KB · Views: 48
Level 12
Sorry for the super long inactivity on this thread. I've been working on some written material, mostly unrelated stuff, to build up the structure of how I want some things to be, on of which would be names.

And another thing, I've come up with a city! Just a small test, full with chronology and map, to see how I'd like it to turn out to be. I just have to scan it and correct some grammar before I can post it up here. But in the mean time, enjoy the History of Dragonslaying and Human Names.

Attachments

• the history of dragonslaying.rar
    3.5 KB · Views: 60
  • basic information.rar
    1.9 KB · Views: 90
Level 14
Sorry for the super long inactivity on this thread. I've been working on some written material, mostly unrelated stuff, to build up the structure of how I want some things to be, on of which would be names.

And another thing, I've come up with a city! Just a small test, full with chronology and map, to see how I'd like it to turn out to be. I just have to scan it and correct some grammar before I can post it up here. But in the mean time, enjoy the History of Dragonslaying and Human Names.

The only thing I have to say is that you should change the names of "good" and "evil" dragons. I mean why would evil ever agree to a balance of power? What do they have to gain in all of this? It just doesn't make sense. If you rename them to other names, like Jedi and Sith... than I can understand how two factions would agree to a balance of power. Otherwise the evil guys don't seem they are really evil, they are just playing evil.

Also I don't get why you call it 'The Great Corruption', maybe you will care to explain that at one point.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.